Complete[FICTION] Crime & Punishment, by F. Dostoyevsky

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
raynr

Post by raynr »

This project is complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
http://librivox.org/crime-and-punishment-by-fyodor-dostoyevsky/

Fyodor Dostoyevsky - Crime and Punishment - translated by Constance Garnett

Crime and Punishment focuses on the mental anguish and moral dilemmas of Rodion Romanovich Raskolnikov, an impoverished St. Petersburg student who formulates and executes a plan to kill a hated, unscrupulous pawnbroker for her money, thereby solving his financial problems and at the same time, he argues, ridding the world of evil. Crime and Punishment is considered by many as the first of Dostoevsky's cycle of great novels, which would culminate with his last completed work, The Brothers Karamazov, shortly before his death. (From Wikipedia)

This project was started as a solo project, but will be continued as a group project.
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: 01 February 2008, but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There is no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Gutenberg e-text: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/2554
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!

(BC admin link)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:

At the Beginning of the Chapter say
    • "Crime and Punishment, part ##, chapter ##. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, translated by Constance Garnett, part ##, chapter ##"
    At the Beginning of the last chapter say
    • "Crime and Punishment, Epilogue. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, translated by Constance Garnett, Epilogue"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of part ##, chapter ##"
      If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, translated by Constance Garnett."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    crime_and_punishment_##.mp3
    (all lower-case) where ## is your section number (not the chapter!).

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ##[Section number] - Part ## chapter ## (or Epilogue for the last section)
    Artist: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    Album: Crime and Punishment

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ry - raynr
    • If this is more comfortable, you can still use my uploader located here (however, the librivox uploader is preferred): http://librivox.prolegomena.org/
      You need a password to upload the files. The password is public
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
  • your name/pseudonym as you want to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your website URL if you like. These are only necessary if this is your first LibriVox recording.
  • the file size of your .mp3 file.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)

Advice on pronunciations:
ChipDoc wrote:Here's a trick I've used to deal with unfamiliar pronounciations: Say it in whatever way seems best to you, but say it WITH AUTHORITY. If you sound like you know what you're talking about, most folks will believe you. Even if you're dead wrong, most folks who know "the right way" to pronounce a word will pause and consider if possibly YOU are right if you speak the word with easy conviction.
Nevertheless, if you want advice, please feel free to ask. I can help with German and Russian (a little bit) pronunciation.
Last edited by raynr on February 28th, 2009, 4:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Everything in the world exists in order to end in a book." (Stéphane Mallarmé)
Ransom

Post by Ransom »

May I have Part II, Chapter 2?

~Ransom
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Glad to see this rescued! May I proof listen?
raynr

Post by raynr »

@ Ransom

Thanks for volunteering. You are marked down for section 9 (Part II Chapter 2). :D

@ kmerline

Yes, I like this book, too. Therefore I decided not to simply remove the Solo project, but to continue it as a group project. And I'd be very grateful for prooflistening. Even if it is not officially announced, you can step right in and listen to any chapter you want.

Greetings, and thanks for your contributions,

Rainer
lizzyblack

Post by lizzyblack »

Hello Raynr,
I'd like to try with:

08 Part 2 Chapter 1
10 Part 2 Chapter 3

I started studying Russian last month, I shouldn't have problems if I find Russian pronunciation, or in case I could ask my teacher :P
Liz

“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
beegray51

Post by beegray51 »

May I read part II chapter 1? Thanks, Beegray
beegray51

Post by beegray51 »

Sorry Liz, I didn't see your request.
Perhaps I may read Part II chapter 4 instead. I do not speak nor am I familiar with Russian. Will this be a problem. I can get some help with the names, I am sure. Thank you
raynr

Post by raynr »

Hello Liz and Beegray,

thanks for volunteering to record for this book. I marked you down for your sections. The Russian pronunciation shouldn't be a big problem. I copied the paragraph about the pronunciation from the War and Peace thread where this is probably more urgent, because there are hundreds of different names and not only Russian, but also French and German and probably some other languages.
Generally, Russian names can be difficult for the reader, because they consist of three parts and the persons are sometimes referred to by the first, by the last or any combination of these parts. Moreover, there are different versions of the forename. For example, the name of the main character ist Rodion Romanovich Raskolnikov, and he is referred to sometimes by Raskolnikov, sometimes by Rodion Romanovich or by Rodya or Rodka. The book I read had a table with all the different names for the characters at the end of the book and I often had to look at it to know how was meant in the text. I fear that will confuse the listener even with a perfect pronunciation. :D
Anyway, if you need help, I will try to provide it.
And once again, thanks for volunteering,

Rainer
jpandya

Post by jpandya »

I'd like to do #12 - part 2, Chapter 5.
raynr

Post by raynr »

Hello jpandya,

section 12 (part 2, Chapter 5) is yours. Many thanks for volunteering! :D
How do you want to appear in the catalogue? This can be either your forum name, a pseudonym or your real name. We can also point to a website of yours.

Rainer
jpandya

Post by jpandya »

Thanks Rainier! I think I will go with the name "Anna Blackwell" in the catalogue.
No website yet....who knows what the future holds, though....

edit (much later): I managed to record it, but didn't like my voice and did it again. Not sure if I saved it right, although the librovox uploader seemed to think it went through. I hope it came out all right.

I'd like to take Part 3, Chapters 3-6. Will that work?
jpandya

Post by jpandya »

I will have to re-record the Crime and Punisment chapter, as I didn't save it right :(
Anyway, it will give me more practice!

Julie
Cori

Post by Cori »

Didn't save it right..? Argh!

What software are you using..? Is this related to your asking about WAV & MP3 files in another forum thread..? (If so, I'm quite sure we can fix this recording right up into LibriVox standard. :D)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Oh ya. If you have the .wav file, it CAN be converted no problem!!

Esther :D
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
jpandya

Post by jpandya »

the wav vs. mp3 files question was related to the chapter of Innocents Abroad that is too big (122 mb).
For the Crime and Punishment chapter, I did tak the option Audacity gave to save it for "export."
I've tried compressing the Innocents Abroad chapter - will that work? It's now about 79 mb, but does compressing make it impossible for librovox to use?