[COMPLETE] A Catechism of Familiar Things cm

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ab2525

Post by ab2525 »

A Catechism of Familiar Things; Their
History, and the Events Which Led to Their Discovery, by Anonymous

This book is now complete and can be found here: http://librivox.org/a-catechism-of-familiar-things/
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: 11/22/07 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/16728

http://upload.nickydonuts.com/uploads/200709/A%20Catechism%20of%20Familiar%20Things.pdf --- Bookmarked PDF... Makes life easy...
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!

BC admin link
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of A Catechism of Familiar Things.- This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "A Catechism of Familiar Things; Their
      History, and the Events Which Led to Their Discovery. [Chapter]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of A Catechism of Familiar Things; Their
      History, and the Events Which Led to Their Discovery."

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some background noise, you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    acatechismoffamiliar_##_anonymous.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. titleinoneword_01_authorsurname.mp3)
    ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Anonymous
    Album: A Catechism of Familiar Things

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.

I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
    • your name/pseudonym as you want to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your website URL if you like. These are only necessary if this is your first LibriVox recording.
    • the file size of your .mp3 file/duration of the recording.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by ab2525 on October 19th, 2007, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What's this little box thingy for? Oh! [color=red]C[/color][color=orange]O[/color][color=yellow]L[/color][color=blue]O[/color][color=indigo]R[/color]
ab2525

Post by ab2525 »

Nee MC!
What's this little box thingy for? Oh! [color=red]C[/color][color=orange]O[/color][color=yellow]L[/color][color=blue]O[/color][color=indigo]R[/color]
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Okay! Help is at hand.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
ab2525

Post by ab2525 »

CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

I put in a section "00" for front matter...

This can be changed if you want.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
ab2525

Post by ab2525 »

Some titles added... Will add others when I get a chance :(
smijen

Post by smijen »

Could I please have chapter 18?
Also... wouldn't this lend itself to duet form, with one person asking the question and one answering? Practically speaking, I suspect the amount of editing would be prohibitive :lol: , but if there were 2 readers in the same location, or somebody really wanted to do it, it could work.
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.
ab2525

Post by ab2525 »

Sure! That'd be a lot of editing, because it's little tiny sound bites.
Kalynda

Post by Kalynda »

I'd love to have section 00. Maybe I'll learn something. :)

As for the duet thing, I was thinking of trying out different voices ... maybe an educated professor-type for the answers and a young student for the questions? I'll try it out and see if it sounds ridiculous.
Il faut cultiver nos jardins.
cricket

Post by cricket »

Ooh, this looks like cracking good fun! :D I would like chapter 11 to begin with, please. Can we claim more than one section?

And do we read the footnotes in this one? Mostly they just seem to be pointing to other chapters for further or related information.
[size=75]It's alright not to have all the answers as long as you don't stop asking the questions.[/size]
ab2525

Post by ab2525 »

Thanks guys! Cricket-- As many as you want, hopefully more than one! :D Also, no footnotes, please :D Thaks guys and good luck :thumbs:
cricket

Post by cricket »

Yaaay! Then allow me to put my grubby paws on sections 10 (mmh licorice!) and, errr, 17? Whichever the one with Music, Painting, Poetry etc. works out to be, please. :)
[size=75]It's alright not to have all the answers as long as you don't stop asking the questions.[/size]
ab2525

Post by ab2525 »

Sure! :D :D
kayray

Post by kayray »

Oh lord. Like I need another thing to read! But I can't pass this up. I would like

Calico, Cotton, Cloth, Wool, Baize, Linen, Flax, Hemp, Diaper, Holland, Canvas, and Flannel

which is chapter 3 in the text and chapter 2 in your window. Why is the first chapter called chapter 00? Did you mean to put the preface there? Well, anyway, I won't record until I'm sure if I should say "chapter 2" or "chapter 3"

Thanks, Alex! :)

(If you want the preface recorded, I'd suggest lumping it in with chapter 1. It's too tiny to need its own file, IMHO)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
ab2525

Post by ab2525 »

Sorry, I was going to, but then decided not to, so use the numbers in the text, NOT the MB