[COMPLETE] Fame and Fortune by Horatio Alger, Jr. - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Alys

Post by Alys »

Here is chapter eleven and (as soon as it finishes uploading) chapter ten.

I used the noise reduction feature in Audacity, and I think it got rid of the hissing noise. I listened to a bit of the talking, and it doesn't seem to have affected the audio with weird noises or distortion, but I didn't listen to the entire recording, so I don't know for sure.
Janie No. 5

Post by Janie No. 5 »

back again :-) sorry it took me so long to listen to the new chapters. The only thing I noticed was that you accidentally say "end of chapter 9" at the end of chapter 10.

To my ears, both the versions with your old and your new setup sound good. There is a little bit of distortion in chapter 10, but I only noticed it with full volume and while listening with earphones.

The story is getting really interesting - I can't wait for chapter 12!
She had heard it said that humans are supposed only to use about a tenth of their brains, and that no one was very clear what the other nine-tenths were for, but she had certainly never heard it suggested that they were used for storing penguins.
Alys

Post by Alys »

Fantastic, thank you!
Alys

Post by Alys »

Here's chapter 12.
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ld/fame_fortune_alger_12.mp3

I used the noise reduction feature again, see if it is still distorted. If it continues to sound odd, I'll just not use it for the rest of the book.

Also, am I the only one who's having a hard time posting? It's taking five minutes or more to load each page, and I have to refresh a few times to get the page to load correctly. Weird.
Janie No. 5

Post by Janie No. 5 »

chapter 12 - excellent :-) I didn't hear any of the distortions anymore.

And the forum is working fine for me, although I had some uploader problems the other day.

Waiting for the story to continue... (will there be a happy ending for the poor trapped boy...)
She had heard it said that humans are supposed only to use about a tenth of their brains, and that no one was very clear what the other nine-tenths were for, but she had certainly never heard it suggested that they were used for storing penguins.
Alys

Post by Alys »

And here is chapter 13, in which our Hero spends the night in the slammer. Oh no!

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ld/fame_fortune_alger_13.mp3

And my semester is done! Hooray! My goal is at least one recording per week, now that I don't have to worry about schoolwork as well.
Janie No. 5

Post by Janie No. 5 »

hey, happy holidays!

chapter thirteen is - despite the sad content - perfect as usual :-)
Alys

Post by Alys »

I took a hiatus to get married, but here, at long last, is chapter 14. There is hope on the horizon for our young hero!

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ld/fame_fortune_alger_14.mp3
saltypig

Post by saltypig »

belated happy happy marriage! and, of course, thanks for reading the RD series. just listened to the first one again last week. listening to your latest chapter now. sounds good.
Janie No. 5

Post by Janie No. 5 »

Hey Alys -

congratulations!!!!

ImageImageImageImage

btw: chapter 14: PL - OK!

Steffi
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

A listener has posted in the Errors forum that:
Hi. The sound in the second chapter of Fame and Fortune disappears at around 6 minutes 30 seconds.
I have listened, and he's right - there is no sound after 6:30. :) Could you fix it, please, Alys?

Thanks

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I have located the original file, and spliced the opening 6:30 of the new file into it, so probably needs another PL. (I also took off 5 seconds' extra silence at the end and converted to mono, but have done nothing else with it.)

Hope this helps!

Upload URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ld/fame_fortune_alger_02_edited.mp3
Duration: 17:14
Size: 15.7Mb (16.56Mb)

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Rowen

Post by Rowen »

Thanks Ruth :)
[size=92][url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=684]My LV Projects[/url] | Like Arthurian legend? Why not try [u][url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15518]Le Mort d'Arthur Vol 2[/url][/u]?[/size]
Alys

Post by Alys »

Thanks for fixing that!

I will be finishing this eventually... I swear! November is NaNoWriMo though, so probably not then. My original completion date was January 2009, so I'm still technically on target ... :-} Sorry for all of the delays!!
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

PM'd Rowen (MC) and Alys (Soloist) on 6/17/09. No response from either.

Placing on-hold in database and posting to Orphans thread for someone to take over as collab/duet.

Jim