COMPLETE: LibriVox NaNoWriMo 2007: The Yellow Sheet ge

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ductapeguy

Post by ductapeguy »

Cloud Mountain and Robert Scott I for one, am looking forward to each of your Nanowrimo chapters. You are both talented, wildly creative individuals and will both put a special spin on your chapter.

Robert and CM: I'm not a fan of deleting posts but give me the word, and I'll do some cleaning up for you guys.
[size=84] Sean McGaughey
Librivox: [url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=231]Catalog[/url] | [url=http://ductapeguy.net]ductapeguy.net-- My music and podcasts[/url][/size]
smijen

Post by smijen »

Topic change here :wink: I will proof-read every Tuesday night (deadline is 9pm my time!) - so that's sections 6, 13, 20, and 27.
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.
revry

Post by revry »

This sounds pretty nifty. You all do know that there is a chain of gift shops in the US in six different states called "Blue Tulip" (http://www.bluetulip.biz).

You may want to be careful about infringing on them by making sure that, say, "Blue Tulip" in the story is not something that could adversely affect their business (for example, "Blue Tulip" as the name of a mob operation, or a nasty spy ring, or a kidnapping plot).

-=-Ron-=-
==============================
-=-Ron Evry-=-
Creator of 'Mister Ron's Basement' Podcast on the iTunes Music Store
http://misterron.libsyn.com/
==============================
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I've never been much of a creative writer, but I'd be happy to proofread. Just fill me in where you need someone.
Jo
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Wow, why do my threads always explode when I'm not there?

All right, some responses:

Robert Scott
: chapter 1 is yours.

Cloud Mountain: please pick another chapter. I've put you down for 02 now but feel free to change.

Re deleting your exchange: everybody's read it now anyway, so I think we might as well let it stand - it'll serve as a good example to the slight messes too-quick-posting can produce. ;)

Robert, you weren't here during last year's NaNoWriMo. Alan was very involved in it and did a lot of brainstorming on the side, and I think he was just keen to kick off this year's story (kind of summarising or concluding the pre-start-brainstorming he had planned). Writing the first chapter, I think, is both easier and more difficult than the rest - it's a big responsibility to construct something that is interesting and engaging enough to draw the readers in from the start, and to introduce enough threads that other writers can pick up on if they wish... whereas the later chapters are crazy because one has to keep track of all the characters and try to produce something that makes sense, builds on previous chapters and yet advances the plot in a sensible, or even better exciting, way. - I'm sure you will both perform these tasks admirably. Now let's drop this. :)
Last edited by Gesine on September 24th, 2007, 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

General note re brainstorming plot and characters:

I have absolutely nothing against a brainstorming; note that I said "If you like, exchange plot ideas and ask questions in this thread; however, it's up to each writer to take up suggestions or not." What I meant was that if some people want to brainstorm plot that's great, it's always fun to do and last year we got some ideas out of it. But this will be purely creative brainstorming, and each writer can choose whether they'll participate and/or use any outcome of the brainstorming. So officially, the plot is all open. However, if the brainstormers come up with a brilliant plot and everyone chooses to follow that, that's fine, too.

Cloud Mountain, a separate thread might indeed be a better idea than flooding this one; we can keep this on for project management, as it were.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Another note re plot development:

All writers should be prepared to accept that horrible things might happen to 'their story.' This is in the nature of the beast. I remember last time I wrote a chapter, I had all these marvellous (really! ;)) ideas about how it could all play out in ongoing chapters... then Hugh came along and introduced a twist that turned it all into smoke. It was a good twist and I liked it, but it wasn't 'my story' any more. And I was lucky that I did like it - he could have equally well done something to one of my characters that I wouldn't have liked

What I mean to say is: get really involved in 'your characters' and 'your plot' and when you've handed in your chapter, let it go. One of the most interesting things about this is that we don't know what will happen, and what others will make of characters and story. :) So be light-hearted about it even if you think a chapter is not going in the direction you wanted it to go.

Personally, I intend to kill off any characters that I find annoying. :twisted: (only joking, in case that wasn't clear).
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

smijen wrote:Topic change here :wink: I will proof-read every Tuesday night (deadline is 9pm my time!) - so that's sections 6, 13, 20, and 27.
How sweet, every Tuesday? That's great, smijen. I'll post instructions about editing later. I'll sign you up for these four!
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

revry wrote:This sounds pretty nifty. You all do know that there is a chain of gift shops in the US in six different states called "Blue Tulip" (http://www.bluetulip.biz).

You may want to be careful about infringing on them by making sure that, say, "Blue Tulip" in the story is not something that could adversely affect their business (for example, "Blue Tulip" as the name of a mob operation, or a nasty spy ring, or a kidnapping plot).

-=-Ron-=-
Well, book titles, thankfully, don't need to deal with any copyright infringements or trademarks or brands - you can do what you like. I could call my novel "Coke does taste better than Pepsi" and Pepsi could do nothing about it. However, if someone does use a Blue Tulip chain of gift stores in the story, we'll put a 'All characters and events are purely fictitious and any relation to living persons is unintended" kind of disclaimer at the beginning. In fact, I might do that anyway; it can't hurt.

Thanks for pointing this out!
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

knotyouraveragejo wrote:I've never been much of a creative writer, but I'd be happy to proofread. Just fill me in where you need someone.
Well, last year we had a couple of people who thought they'd be no good at writing, then got caught up in the story and decided to give it a go, with excellent results. So if you're just shy, go for it! But no pressure - we need readers/listeners and proof-readers, too!

Would you like to claim some sections that you'd like to proof-read? Currently, the first two are assigned to writers and need proof-readers, but we can do what smijen did and assign PRs to availble sections, too. :)
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Thank you to whoever fixed my code in the first post! :) Was driving me nuts.

I've linked to Alan's brainstorming thread in the first post now.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

I had a message from Robert Scott, he doesn't want to participate in the NaNoWriMo any more - so I'm giving ch 1 to you Alan, all right?
EnglishRose17

Post by EnglishRose17 »

I'd like to do chapter 2... with midnight you mean your time, right?