The LibriVox NaNoWriMo 2007: The Yellow Sheet
Document with final chapters: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dt724vw_58cd96b6
Wiki page for tracking plot and characters: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Nanowrimo2007Map
Please read this post carefully; the rules are somewhat different to other LibriVox projects.
- What is the LibriVox NaNoWriMo?
During the month of November 2007, LibriVox volunteers write the serial novel The Yellow Sheet together, based on the guidelines of the National Novel Writing Month. Each volunteer writes one or more chapter (we do one chapter per day, so 30 chapters in total), and authors record their own chapters (on the day after they've written the chapter). At the end of the project, a novel of at least 50,000 words is released in text and audio form on the LibriVox catalogue. Please remember that both your writing and the recording wll be in the public domain. You can find our 2006 effort here.
- Where do I sign up?
Please sign up by posting in this thread (see magic window below for available chapters). You may sign up for more than one chapter, but they cannot be consecutive ones. - I will then PM you instructions on where to post the text etc.
- How do I know what to write?
This year's NaNoWriMo (at least this one; feel free to organise another novel!) will be written without any advance plotting - at least officially. Whoever signs up for chapter 1 gets the novel started. The next day, the writer of chapter 2 just picks up where the first chapter left off, and so forth. If you like, exchange plot ideas and ask questions in this brainstorming thread; however, it's up to each writer to take up suggestions or not.
- Having said that, there are some rules!
- Each chapter should be at least 1,700 words long (if you can't quite manage, don't worry as some people will write longer chapters).
- The title of the novel is The Yellow Sheet. I just made that up, completely arbitrarily. It's the first thing that came into my head. It'll be interesting what or who the Yellow Sheet ends up being.
- No supernatural elements allowed - no aliens, no magic, no fantasy/sci-fi.
- The novel is set in the present time.
- The plot should be as plausible as possible as it develops, and the characters should be consistent. However, characters can die, also by hand of other characters.
- The novel will be exactly 30 chapters long. Chapter 30 should have some sort of conclusion/satisfying ending in keeping with previous chapters.
- It is each writer's responsibility to follow the plot, to finish his/her chapter on time, and to record it/have it recorded the next day. If for some reason you cannot make it, be sure to let us know as soon as possible so that someone else can jump in.
- Where can I find the text/the recordings?
Both text and recordings will be linked in the Notes field of the magic window below.
- What about proof-reading and proof-listening?
Please post if you'd be willing to proof-read a chapter and I'll sign you up. Writers should inform their proof-readers by PM when they've posted the chapter in the Google doc. When proof-readers have finished their corrections, they post in this thread so everyone knows the text is ready, and the next writer can begin his/her chapter.
Links to completed recordings should be posted in this thread. Anyone can proof-listen and post the findings here (the recordings will usually between 10-20 minutes long).
Intro: "Chapter x of The Yellow Sheet. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org. - The Yellow Sheet - the LibriVox NaNoWriMo project 2007. Chapter 1, written and recorded by x."
Outro: "End of chapter x."
After chapter 30, say in addition: "and end of The Yellow Sheet - the LibriVox NaNoWriMo project 2007."
Filenames: yellowsheet_##_nanowrimo07.mp3, where ## is your chapter number in two digits, e.g. yellowsheet_01_nanowrimo07.mp3
Title: Chapter ##
Artist: LibriVox NaNoWriMo 2007
Album: The Yellow Sheet