[COMPLETED] David Copperfield, by Charles Dickens lb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona » August 30th, 2007, 2:00 pm

This book was cataloged on May 14, 2008. The audio files have been transferred to Internet Archive (archive.org) and can be accessed at http://librivox.org/david-copperfield-by-charles-dickens/

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens.
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: April 30, 2008 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. Now that this project is fully subscribed, I am working toward an early completion. If I do not hear from you for 1 month, your section may be reassigned! If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/766
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!

(Admin link)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of David Copperfield. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "David Copperfield, by Charles Dickens. [Chapter and Title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
      If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of David Copperfield, by Charles Dickens."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some background noise, you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    davidcopperfield_##_dickens.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. davidcopperfield_01_dickens.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Charles Dickens
    Album: David Copperfield

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lb - luciburg
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
  • your name/pseudonym as you want to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your website URL if you like. These are only necessary if this is your first LibriVox recording.
  • the file size of your .mp3 file/duration of the recording.
[/list]

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by Caeristhiona on October 1st, 2007, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland

Em

Post by Em » August 30th, 2007, 3:10 pm

Hello, can I have chapter 1 - "I am born", please?

cereselle

Post by cereselle » August 30th, 2007, 3:58 pm

Hurray!

I would like the following sections:

4. I Fall Into Disgrace

8. My Holidays, Especially One Happy Afternoon

13. The Sequel of My Resolution

14. My Aunt Makes Up Her Mind About Me

Gesine

Post by Gesine » August 31st, 2007, 3:37 am

I'm stopping by to express my amazement that this is not in our catalogue yet. You know how I love Dickens, Caet - and I know how much other LVers love him - so I checked how many times this had been done before. Zero! Why is that, do you think? I thought this was considered to be one of his most popular works?

Just idly wondering. Ignore me at will.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein

kmerline

Post by kmerline » August 31st, 2007, 10:14 am

Gesine wrote:I'm stopping by to express my amazement that this is not in our catalogue yet. You know how I love Dickens, Caet - and I know how much other LVers love him - so I checked how many times this had been done before. Zero! Why is that, do you think? I thought this was considered to be one of his most popular works?

Just idly wondering. Ignore me at will.
I'm not Caet, but I'm co BC'ing this one. Caet, DebraLynn and I are Dickens fans, and putting our heads together we discovered that there were 4 Dickens novels which LV hasn't started, and Copperfield was one of them. I voted that we choose this one to start now, because it most needed to be in the LV catalog.

I think you are right that this is the most well-known - it is (or was when I was growing up) often taught in American schools at about "junior high" age, to 12 or 13-year-olds.

Gesine, I've read that you prefer other novelists to Dickens! :) (Me, too, although I still do like him.) Dickens was my first exposure to English Victorian novels, but I've moved on to Eliot, Thackeray, Trollope, and the Brontes, and and through your bc'ing, even a little forward in time to Henry James.

kmerline

Post by kmerline » August 31st, 2007, 10:26 am

Welcome, Cereselle, I've assigned you Sec 4, 8, 13, an 14. I hope you enjoy them. :)

cereselle

Post by cereselle » August 31st, 2007, 11:53 am

Thanks, kmerline! Miss Betsy Trotwood-- how could I not enjoy her? :D

DebraLynn

Post by DebraLynn » August 31st, 2007, 12:19 pm

Just popping in to say "hi." I'm about 200 miles from my microphone at the moment. I'll see what's left by the time I get home (Monday or Tuesday) and sign up for something. I'm glad to see that people are signing up, though.

-Deb
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=1166][b][color=violet]"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" (Groucho Marx)[/color][/b][/url]

Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona » August 31st, 2007, 12:53 pm

I think I'll help myself to some chapters...

I know what you mean, Gesine - why not sign up for a few chapters, with your oft-protested deep love of Dickens? ;)
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland

luciburg

Post by luciburg » August 31st, 2007, 5:10 pm

Hi Caet I can do Chapter 02 - I Observe

Thanks Lucy :)
[b]There are no strangers, only friends you haven't met yet.[/b]

Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona » August 31st, 2007, 5:15 pm

Sure thing, Lucy. I was wondering when you'd show up. :)
-- Jeffrey Rowland

luciburg

Post by luciburg » August 31st, 2007, 5:19 pm

Caeristhiona wrote:Sure thing, Lucy. I was wondering when you'd show up. :)
he he he! you know me a quiet achiever :lol:
[b]There are no strangers, only friends you haven't met yet.[/b]

noonday

Post by noonday » September 2nd, 2007, 12:08 am

Hi, I would like to provide the reading for Chapter 37, A Little Cold Water.

I am not sure whether I will have this assigned to me or not, but in case I can have it, I already recorded it and uploaded it as a_little_cold_water1.mp3 to the Librivox Uploader.

This is my first time doing recordings for Librivox, but I've recorded another text in addition to this one the same night.

If this chapter were to be assigned to me, I'd like to be credited under the pseudonym noonday. From my other text, I realized that I did not supply an ID3 tag, but I don't know how to do that yet.

Gesine

Post by Gesine » September 2nd, 2007, 1:48 am

Caeristhiona wrote:I think I'll help myself to some chapters...

I know what you mean, Gesine - why not sign up for a few chapters, with your oft-protested deep love of Dickens? ;)
LOL. Yeah right. I might just do that - sometime.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein

kmerline

Post by kmerline » September 2nd, 2007, 6:39 am

noonday wrote:Hi, I would like to provide the reading for Chapter 37, A Little Cold Water.

I am not sure whether I will have this assigned to me or not, but in case I can have it, I already recorded it and uploaded it as a_little_cold_water1.mp3 to the Librivox Uploader.

This is my first time doing recordings for Librivox, but I've recorded another text in addition to this one the same night.

If this chapter were to be assigned to me, I'd like to be credited under the pseudonym noonday. From my other text, I realized that I did not supply an ID3 tag, but I don't know how to do that yet.
Hi Noonday - Welcome to Librivox, I have assigned you chapter 37. Please read the directions in the first post on the threae, which should answer most of your questions. Please provide the URL for your chapter. (If you can't locate it, I would suggest renaming your file according to the directions in the first post, re-uploading, and then posting the URL in this thread.) Don't worry about the MP3 tag on this one, I'll fix it for you. But in the future, you will notice that when you finish recording and save your file as an MP3, a dialoge box will pop up to be filled out. Those are the mp3 tags. Just fill out the box according to the directions in the first post, and you are done! :)