[COMPLETE] Representative Men by Ralph Waldo Emerson - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

TriciaG wrote: August 10th, 2022, 1:32 pm Section 3 at Archive shows as 39:56, whereas it's 43:17 in the MW.
Section 9 at Archive: 24:53, MW has 27:04

Please verify that the Archive files are okay, with those other durations.
:)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

TriciaG wrote: August 10th, 2022, 2:05 pm
TriciaG wrote: August 10th, 2022, 1:32 pm Section 3 at Archive shows as 39:56, whereas it's 43:17 in the MW.
Section 9 at Archive: 24:53, MW has 27:04

Please verify that the Archive files are okay, with those other durations.
:)
Section 03 should be 39:56
Section 09 should be 24:53

Sorry for the mixups.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks! Proceeding...

Regarding a Zoom dramatic work: I did try that once last year, I think it was, on a one-act play. It didn't work out quite as expected.

I had everyone record using their DAW in addition to using Zoom, in case the Zoom recording wasn't sufficient - and it wasn't. The timing was off (I guess lags in the network signals), the volumes weren't all that close, and there (of course) was still editing to do for all the flubs - it didn't get read as well as a rehearsed play. I ended up using the individually submitted role recordings. It was a fun experience, though. I have thought about trying it again.

It's "Retained for the Defense" here: https://librivox.org/one-act-play-collection-014-by-various/
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

TriciaG wrote: August 10th, 2022, 2:34 pm Thanks! Proceeding...

Regarding a Zoom dramatic work: I did try that once last year, I think it was, on a one-act play. It didn't work out quite as expected.

I had everyone record using their DAW in addition to using Zoom, in case the Zoom recording wasn't sufficient - and it wasn't. The timing was off (I guess lags in the network signals), the volumes weren't all that close, and there (of course) was still editing to do for all the flubs - it didn't get read as well as a rehearsed play. I ended up using the individually submitted role recordings. It was a fun experience, though. I have thought about trying it again.

It's "Retained for the Defense" here: https://librivox.org/one-act-play-collection-014-by-various/
Thank you for this personal-experience feedback.
I was hoping to learn that the RECORDED audio (not the audio distributed on the fly to particpant's machines) would be naturally synced.
I'll have to do some testing (with my built-in tester, Flora) . Interlocking of multiple, independent voice tracks just looks terribly tricky to me.

I'll take a look at "Retained". Thank you for link.

Thanks, again.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Tricia,
Wow! You had a tremendous cast for your DR!!
I'm surprised that you didn't get Mark Smith and John Greenman.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/representative-men-by-ralph-waldo-emerson-2/
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: August 10th, 2022, 4:19 pm This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/representative-men-by-ralph-waldo-emerson-2/
Happy to see this in the catalog! What's next, Bill?
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

KevinS wrote: August 10th, 2022, 4:29 pm
TriciaG wrote: August 10th, 2022, 4:19 pm This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/representative-men-by-ralph-waldo-emerson-2/
Until a few minutes ago, I would have bet that my next foray would have been Act 1 of Shaw's Caesar and Cleopatra as I announced in this forum about 2 hours ago. A Dramatic Reading. But Tricia said that she had tried, in a similar manner, to use Zoom create a drama. So, now I'm SURE that I'll have to do some testing and investigating to see whether Zoom does or does not multiplex multiple streams of audio input into its session recording.

Look up about an hour ago in this Emerson forum where I posted the ending credits roll. At the end of that, I discuss the Caesar and Cleopatra possibility and mentioned you as helping with the several male voices in the first half of the Act.

I give the link to the Gutenberg source there too. I haven't said anything about any of the parts, but if this project happens, I'd like YOU to play Julius Caesar. I'd love to do it, but you would be better at playing that part than I would. It's a swell part. If I get to the place where I can offer it to you, please say yes.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Depending on when you're going to test, I could probably hop on Zoom and test with you. My electrons will take longer to get to your recording than Flora's will. :lol:

I'm supposed to go geocaching with a visiting out-of-town cousin-in-law (TMI? LOL) either tomorrow or Friday morning. I should be available in the afternoons, if the test isn't too long. My Saturday schedule isn't set yet.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

williamjones wrote: August 10th, 2022, 5:01 pm
KevinS wrote: August 10th, 2022, 4:29 pm
Until a few minutes ago, I would have bet that my next foray would have been Act 1 of Shaw's Caesar and Cleopatra as I announced in this forum about 2 hours ago. A Dramatic Reading. But Tricia said that she had tried, in a similar manner, to use Zoom create a drama. So, now I'm SURE that I'll have to do some testing and investigating to see whether Zoom does or does not multiplex multiple streams of audio input into its session recording.

Look up about an hour ago in this Emerson forum where I posted the ending credits roll. At the end of that, I discuss the Caesar and Cleopatra possibility and mentioned you as helping with the several male voices in the first half of the Act.

I give the link to the Gutenberg source there too. I haven't said anything about any of the parts, but if this project happens, I'd like YOU to play Julius Caesar. I'd love to do it, but you would be better at playing that part than I would. It's a swell part. If I get to the place where I can offer it to you, please say yes.
If anyone insists, like some scholars today, that Caesar is pronounced with a hard K, I'm not taking part. Hhaha! (I laugh, but I'm serious; I can't stand that change in tradition. Any Latin I ever learned was Ecclesiastical Latin and I'm stickin' with it.)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

"Keesar" sounds too much like "Geezer."
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

TriciaG wrote: August 10th, 2022, 5:14 pm "Keesar" sounds too much like "Geezer."
Good one, Tricia !!!!!!!
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

TriciaG wrote: August 10th, 2022, 5:07 pm Depending on when you're going to test, I could probably hop on Zoom and test with you. My electrons will take longer to get to your recording than Flora's will. :lol:

I'm supposed to go geocaching with a visiting out-of-town cousin-in-law (TMI? LOL) either tomorrow or Friday morning. I should be available in the afternoons, if the test isn't too long. My Saturday schedule isn't set yet.
No testing scheduled yet, but I am very grateful for the offer.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

The film Bill is referencing with Vivien Leigh and Claude Rains is available on YouTube: just do a search and there it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYq3WKEosKE
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Owlivia wrote: August 10th, 2022, 10:12 pm The film Bill is referencing with Vivien Leigh and Claude Rains is available on YouTube: just do a search and there it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYq3WKEosKE
Hail Owlivia!!
Yes, this is the version I remember from my youth!!
That wry little smile that Claude Rains lets sneak out at the end of the act (when he sees that Cleo finally recognizes who he really is) is priceless!!
God, this is going to be such a fun project... if it gets going and if Ftata....I mean, Tricia, comes along for the ride in some role and capacity.

Notice, too, that the act is only 22 and a half minutes long -- and that includes the glacial opening credits roll.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison