[COMPLETE] The Silk-Hat Soldier and Other Poems in War Time by Richard le Gallienne - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
brucek

Post by brucek »

The Silk-Hat Soldier and Other Poems in War Time, by Richard le Gallienne (1866 - 1947)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-silk-hat-soldier-and-other-poems-in-war-time-by-richard-le-gallienne/
This stirring collection of inspirational war-time poems by the renowned author Richard le Gallienne, offers an insightful examination of a world forced to endure one of the most trying and tragic times in history.

In these magnificent poems we witness first hand the pathos of humanity torn apart by World War I, a war like no other, a war affecting all walks of life and inspiring acts of courage, self-sacrifice and gallantry on a scale previously unknown. This was a war that brought society together in ways formerly inconceivable, that brought classes together, that brought souls and spirits together to fight for a cause that was deemed honorable, righteous and just. This was also a war that brought nations to their knees and people to the abyss of despair.

The remarkable skill of le Gallienne takes the reader to the brink of his own despair and frustration, then by demonstrating the power of determination, hope, inspiration and the anticipation of success, this distinguished poet demonstrates the strength of the human spirit to overcome, conquer, and triumph, despite conditions of unimaginable adversity and deprivation.
(Summary by Bruce Kachuk)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/19313

Target completion date: 2022-01-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"The Silk-Hat Soldier and Other Poems in War Time, by Richard le Gallienne. Read for LibriVox dot org by Bruce Kachuk. [Poem Title]"
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"[Poem Title] by Richard le Gallienne. Read for LibriVox dot org."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of poem. This recording is in the public domain."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Silk-Hat Soldier and Other Poems in War Time, by Richard le Gallienne."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: silkhatsoldier_#_legallienne_128kb.mp3 where # is the section number. (e.g. silkhatsoldier_1_legallienne_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: triciag

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
brucek

Post by brucek »

Hi Everyone,

This is a small seven poem book by Richard le Gallienne, one I found appealing for both its inspirational value and the author's optimism for the future.

I will be reading from the PG version at:
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/19313

Rapunzelina has kindly offered to DPL.

An MC would be welcome.

Thanks, :)
Bruce.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is set up. Since you have a DPL, I'm moving this to Going Solo now. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
brucek

Post by brucek »

Hi Tricia,

Great to hear from you! Thanks very much. :)

~~~~~
Bruce.
brucek

Post by brucek »

Hi Rapunzelina,

Here are the first two to get us started.

~~~~~
Bruce.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

These are PL OK! And your summary for the book is very touching!
brucek

Post by brucek »

Thanks very much, Rapunzelina. Often the very thought of my meager words summarizing these works of art seems quite audacious. But I'm glad it's working out somewhat. "O for a Muse of fire . . ."

And here are the next two.

~~~~~
Bruce.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Bruce! 3 and 4 are PL OK!
brucek

Post by brucek »

And here we go with the remainder, to wrap things up.

~~~~~
Bruce.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

aaaand PL OK! :D
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'll work on cataloging this today. :) The summary is the same as when you set up the project, correct? So I don't have to copy it over again?
brucek

Post by brucek »

Rapunzelina wrote: December 7th, 2021, 9:11 am aaaand PL OK! :D
Thanks very much, Rapunzelina, for the fast and efficient work as always! :)

~~~~~
Bruce.
brucek

Post by brucek »

TriciaG wrote: December 7th, 2021, 9:18 am I'll work on cataloging this today. :) The summary is the same as when you set up the project, correct? So I don't have to copy it over again?
Thanks so much, Tricia. :) The summary is the same.

~~~~~
Bruce.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-silk-hat-soldier-and-other-poems-in-war-time-by-richard-le-gallienne/
brucek

Post by brucek »

Thanks, Tricia! :D

~~~~~
Bruce.