COMPLETE [SOLO] The Story of My Life, by Helen Keller - Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Teabender wrote: December 1st, 2021, 7:23 pm Thanks for looking into it further and breaking it down. I'm not quite in a place to take charge of it, but I'd be happy to contribute. If you're willing to BC the project, I'm up for recording Helen's letters.

Aside from giving this project a new title ("The Story of My Life, Part 1"), and adding the "This is part 1 of a 2 part book" part to the summary, what else should I do next to help get it going?
If it hasn't catalogued yet, just do the above, and we're all set. I'll get with you on Part 2 later. Oops, I see it has just this second catalogued. Maybe our MC could still add it in.

I'll do my best to snag the cover today.
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

Hi Leni, thanks for cataloguing it! Is it too late to make the following changes based on the earlier discussion?

Title: The Story of My Life, Part 1

Summary:
When Helen Keller's autobiography was first published in 1903, she was a young woman studying at Radcliffe College. Helen shares memories of her childhood, describes how Miss Sullivan helped her learn how to communicate, and reflects on her experiences as a college student.

This is part one of a two-part book; the second part contains Helen's letters and a supplementary account of her life and education.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Changed in the catalog.
Leni
=================
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

Thankee kindly!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Yeah. Don't disappear. I'll be setting up Part 2 today if time permits, surely by the weekend.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Leni, being as this project has morphed into a 3 part series, wherein I will BC Parts 2 (a duet between teabender and myself), and 3 (a very extensive and fascinating history of how Helen was taught), could I please get you to alter the title and summary to say this:

The Story of My Life, Part 1 of 3 (Special Edition)
Helen Keller (1888 - 1968)

When Helen Keller's autobiography was first published in 1903, she was a 23 year old young woman studying at Radcliffe College. Helen shares memories of her childhood, describes how Miss Sullivan helped her learn to communicate, and reflects on her experiences as a college student.

This audiobook is Part 1 of a three-part Special Edition.
Part 2 is a collection of Helen's letters from childhood through 1901.
Part 3 is a supplementary account of Helen’s education, including in depth passages from her teacher, Anne Mansfield Sullivan, and additional insightful commentary by editor John Albert Macy, on Helen’s extraordinary education, personality, speech and literary style.
Last edited by msfry on December 4th, 2021, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

May I offer a few tweaks to the summary?
msfry wrote: December 4th, 2021, 11:13 am The Story of My Life, Part 1 of 3 (Special Edition)

When Helen Keller's autobiography was first published in 1903, she was a 23 year old young woman studying at Radcliffe College. Helen shares memories of her childhood, describes how Miss Sullivan helped her learn to communicate, and reflects on her experiences as a college student.

This audiobook is part one of a three-part special edition.
Part one is a collection of Helen's letters from childhood through 1901.
Part three is a supplementary account of Helen's education, including in-depth passages from her teacher, Anne Mansfield Sullivan, and additional insightful commentary by editor John Albert Macy, on Helen’s extraordinary education, personality, speech and literary style.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Have at it, if we can do it. I'll hold off on submitting the cover until this is settled. I've made a few more tweaks myself (to original post above).
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

Very minor tweaks, the above version in my last post works for me!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Teabender wrote: December 4th, 2021, 11:34 am Very minor tweaks, the above version in my last post works for me!
I can't find your tweaks, but will this do?

When Helen Keller's autobiography was first published in 1903, she was a 23 year old studying at Radcliffe College. Helen shares memories of her childhood, describes how Miss Sullivan helped her learn to communicate, and reflects on her experiences as a college student.

This audiobook is Part 1 of a three-part Special Edition.
Part 2 is a collection of Helen's letters from childhood through 1901.
Part 3 is a supplementary account of Helen’s education, including in depth passages from her teacher, Anne Mansfield Sullivan, and additional insightful commentary by editor John Albert Macy, on Helen’s extraordinary education, personality, speech and literary style.

I am envisioning this as two more audiobooks. There is a lot of material in Parts 2 and 3. Part 2 is a narrator introducing each of Helen's youthful letters. A duet with you reading the letters and me being the narrator. (about 4 hours). How do you like that idea? Part 3 is several essays (about 6.5 hours), which could be opened as a group project, with you or me as DPL if we choose to do it that way.
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

Having it in three parts makes sense to me, and I like the plan you've laid out. Calling it a special edition is a good move too, that should help signal why it's in three parts.

Here are my tweaks:

When Helen Keller's autobiography was first published in 1903, she was a young woman studying at Radcliffe College. In it, Helen shares memories of her childhood, describes how Miss Sullivan helped her learn how to communicate, and reflects on her experiences as a college student.

This audiobook is part one of a three-part special edition.
Part two is a collection of Helen's letters from childhood through 1901.
Part three is a supplementary account of Helen’s education, including in-depth passages from her teacher, Anne Mansfield Sullivan, and additional insightful commentary by editor John Albert Macy on Helen’s extraordinary education, personality, speech, and literary style.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Leni, Victoria and I took this discussion to private messaging and have agreed on this for the Title and Summary. Please use this text, and I will include it in my cover material. Thanks for your patience as we hammered this out.

When Helen Keller's autobiography was first published in 1903, she was a young woman studying at Radcliffe College. In it, Helen shares memories of her childhood, describes how Miss Sullivan helped her learn how to communicate, and reflects on her experiences as a college student.

This audiobook is divided into a three-part special edition. The first part is Helen's autobiography. The second part is a collection of Helen's letters from childhood through 1901. The third part is a supplementary account of Helen’s education, including in-depth passages from her teacher, Anne Mansfield Sullivan, and additional insightful commentary by editor John Albert Macy on Helen’s extraordinary education, personality, speech, and literary style.
Teabender

Post by Teabender »

Yes indeed, thank you very much, Leni! :)