Post by loon »

Chapter 24 PL OK. Last one coming up.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
loon

Post by loon »

Chapter 25 -
At ~10:30 the text is "There was row upon row of small kine tubes..."
At ~11:01 there is "A green lamp winked under one of the kine tubes..."
"Kine" is an archaic word for 'cows', or in fiction what vampires call people when they are thinking 'food'.
But my GUESS is that Smith was using 'kine tubes' as an abbreviated version of 'kinescope tubes' - archaic for cathode ray tube / picture tube - or making a movie by filming the picture shown on a CRT. See the second definition at https://www.dictionary.com/browse/kinescope. The TV station where I worked - LONG ago - had a room dedicated to that use, and everyone called it 'the kine room' ( kin - ee ).

See what you think.
loon

Post by loon »

Chapter 25 -
At the very end you should say
End of chapter 25.
End of Highways in Hiding, by George O. Smith.
Could you fix that please? What a great story!
loon

Post by loon »

P.S. Don't forget to rewrite the book summary as knotyouraveragejo suggested.
blondon

Post by blondon »

Great, thanks - I suspected kine had to do with kinescope but couldn't find a pronunciation for it. I'll go with your suggestion, and also fix the end and the summary. I gotta say, I feel like Chapter 25 sort of comes out of nowhere and ends precipitously. Don't quite know why he didn't follow up on the relationship with Gloria Farrow instead of Marian, but who am I to say?
loon

Post by loon »

blondon wrote: November 28th, 2021, 2:07 pm Great, thanks - I suspected kine had to do with kinescope but couldn't find a pronunciation for it. I'll go with your suggestion, and also fix the end and the summary. I gotta say, I feel like Chapter 25 sort of comes out of nowhere and ends precipitously. Don't quite know why he didn't follow up on the relationship with Gloria Farrow instead of Marian, but who am I to say?
I went down the rabbit hole and discovered https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinescope, which gives their phonetic spelling of 'kine' and also notes
RCA was granted a trademark for the term (for its cathode ray tube) in 1932; it voluntarily released the term to the public domain in 1950.
As for Gloria Farrow - yes, she does get dropped rather abruptly. The invisible engagement ring is a bit of a thin point in the plot.
blondon

Post by blondon »

Thanks for the pronunciation help; that's great.
blondon

Post by blondon »

Okey-dokey, I fixed the "kine" lines and added "End of Chapter 25" at the end, and re-loaded Chapter 25.

Here's my rewritten summary; let me know if it's okay or you need another re-write:

Mechanical engineer Steve Cornell lives in a world where ESP and telepathy are normal, and a spreading plague called Mekstrom’s Disease turns its victims into supermen. In the search for his missing fiancée, Steve must discover who controls the disease and what they want with him.
loon

Post by loon »

Section 25 is now PL OK. Once again your re-recorded voice matches what you recorded a few days earlier - splendid.

All chapters are complete. Congratulations! Now we hand it over to knotyouraveragejo for the final publishing steps - in a day or two Highways in Hiding will be the newest addition to the LibriVox library! Thanks for letting me ride along on this journey.
loon

Post by loon »

blondon wrote: November 29th, 2021, 6:59 pm Here's my rewritten summary; let me know if it's okay or you need another re-write:

Mechanical engineer Steve Cornell lives in a world where ESP and telepathy are normal, and a spreading plague called Mekstrom’s Disease turns its victims into supermen. In the search for his missing fiancée, Steve must discover who controls the disease and what they want with him.
Cool. I think you have permissions to change the summary in the Magic Window - if not, that's also something knotyouraveragejo can fix as a part of the final publishing.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

To edit the summary in the first post, blondon, click the pencil icon in the top right corner of the post. I will have to change the summary in the database. Changes you make to the post do not automatically carry over. So for future reference, if you do change a summary after the project has been set up by your MC, be sure to post in the thread to them know. :)
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Congratulations Becky on completion of your first solo recording for LibriVox! This book is now in the LibriVox catalog and available for listeners to download. Please check the catalog page and let me know if any changes are needed.

https://librivox.org/highways-in-hiding-by-george-o-smith/
Jo
blondon

Post by blondon »

Thanks for the info on the summary, Jo. And thank you both, Jo and Rich - working on this with you has been a joy. I hope we can get together for another one soon!

All the best -

Becky
loon

Post by loon »

I suspect the cover art crew will swoop in soon and make artwork for the book as well.

Happy happy happy - another great recording in the library.