COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 085 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Thanks, Michele! :) PL OK!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Sue Anderson wrote: September 10th, 2021, 5:34 pm How did you folks in Baton Rouge fare with Hurricane Ida?
We were out of power for 4 days. A big tree fell across our driveway and two telephone poles were down stretching their wires across our driveway about 3 feet up, so we could not get in or out. My son hiked in with a generator so we could cool the bedroom wing at least and keep the freezers and fridge cold. He chain sawed a chunk of tree out so we could get a car through and John propped up the wire with a 2x4 so my car could get under. My sister in law's assisted living place feared losing power (she is 81), so they called me to come get her the day before Ida hit. She stayed with us 4 days. That was fun! Internet was gone for 5 days. Our yard is still full of twigs and small branches that it will take days, maybe weeks, to pick up. I lost a small chest freezer which apparently got fried when the transformer blew, but kept it closed, replaced it asap, and didn't lose food. Crews are working day and night and we are so impressed with them. It's wonderful to see he-men at work! I honk and hand out boxes of Rice-Krispy Treats when I pass a crew on the highway. Grocery shelves are short on some things, bread being the most noticeable. Lots of sandwich making going on, I suspect, but we are lucky to have gas stove and hot water heater, so were able to cook and bathe, and I'm glad I saved the old Cajun drip coffee pot!

Thanks for asking. Lots of people did much worse, so we count ourselves very lucky. Internet back, but a bit sluggish. Halleluiah! We shall survive!
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Michele, Oh wow! You-all are real troopers! My best to you and yours!
Donzo

Post by Donzo »

May I read section 20
msfry

Post by msfry »

Sue Anderson wrote: September 11th, 2021, 9:36 am Michele, Oh wow! You-all are real troopers! My best to you and yours!
Thanks. It's not our first rodeo! :mrgreen:
vmead

Post by vmead »

Title of the work: Browne's Folly
Author of the work: Nathaniel Hawthorne
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf085_brownesfolly_hawthorne_vm_128kb.mp3
Source: https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/9253/pg9253-images.html
Length in minutes: 07:10
Currently volunteering for my senior project. Expecting to graduate with a BS in Information and Library Science, Dec. '21!
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

vmead wrote: September 14th, 2021, 11:06 pm Title of the work: Browne's Folly
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf085_brownesfolly_hawthorne_vm_128kb.mp3
Hi vmead, Welcome to the Short Nonfiction Collection (SNF)! :D Many thanks for this nostalgic look at childhood memories of place -- Nathaniel Hawthorn conjuring ideas about a long ago life, as, out on a walk in the hills, he shelters himself from the wind amid the stones of a ruined cellar, all that is left of a once noble mansion... Written as only a great novelist could write....

You read accurately from Gutenberg's transcription of Hawthorne. I will add one note for future reference: as you have probably realized, Gutenberg's transcriptions are not always as accurate as they should be; and, as Book Coordinator of the SNF, I encourage readers to apply common sense and correct obvious Gutenberg errors and/or to check an original text when in doubt. In this Gutenberg transcription, there are two errors, one obvious, one not so obvious. The obvious error: [After the earthquake of 1755] "the great house actually took up its march along the declining ridge of the bill..."

The not so obvious error: "The two cellars are still deep enough to shelter a visitor from the fresh breezes that haunt the summit of the hill; and barberry-hushes clustering within them offer the harsh acidity of their fruits, instead of the rich wines which the colonial magnate was wont to store there for his guests."

"Barberry-hushes" is a misprint. The original reads "Barberry-bushes." https://archive.org/details/dolliverromanceo00hawt/page/193/mode/1up. I caught this misprint because I am aware that certain varieties of barberry are considered invasive. https://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/terrestrial/plants/japanese-barberry. Where I live, we have invasive buckthorn that depletes native habitat for birds... so "barberry-hushes" brought to my mind Rachel Carson's book Silent Spring. In its small way, "barberry-hushes" then became a poetic misprint. What to do about it? Here, I took to heart what Hawthorne wrote when ending his essay: "I have quite forgotten what story I once proposed writing about Browne's Folly," and I freely offer the theme and site to any of my young townsmen, who may be addicted with the same tendency towards fanciful narratives which haunted me in my youth and long afterwards."

Thanks for your contribution to vol. 085. I have marked your reading PL OK! :)
Last edited by Sue Anderson on September 15th, 2021, 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Volume 085 is now FULL. Volume 086 will be open shortly. Keep an eye out for it in the Short Works (Poetry and Prose) thread.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Donzo wrote: September 14th, 2021, 3:47 pm May I read section 20
Hi Donzo, Are you still planning to read a chapter from The Subways and Tunnels of New York? We'd be glad to have your reading be a part of the next volume of the Short Nonfiction Collection (vol. 086), which I'll open up for contributions as soon as I finish the data entry for this volume. If your recording is finished and ready to download... well, then, it would be ok to upload it here, and we'll transfer it over to vol. 086 for you. :)
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

VOLUME 086 IS NOW OPEN! :thumbs: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=89109
vmead

Post by vmead »

Sue Anderson wrote: September 15th, 2021, 7:01 am
vmead wrote: September 14th, 2021, 11:06 pm Title of the work: Browne's Folly
Hi vmead, Welcome to the Short Nonfiction Collection (SNF)! :D Many thanks for this nostalgic look at childhood memories of place -- Nathaniel Hawthorn conjuring ideas about a long ago life, as, out on a walk in the hills, he shelters himself from the wind amid the stones of a ruined cellar, all that is left of a once noble mansion... Written as only a great novelist could write....

You read accurately from Gutenberg's transcription of Hawthorne. I will add one note for future reference: as you have probably realized, Gutenberg's transcriptions are not always as accurate as they should be; and, as Book Coordinator of the SNF, I encourage readers to apply common sense and correct obvious Gutenberg errors and/or to check an original text when in doubt. In this Gutenberg transcription, there are two errors, one obvious, one not so obvious. The obvious error: [After the earthquake of 1755] "the great house actually took up its march along the declining ridge of the bill..."

The not so obvious error: "The two cellars are still deep enough to shelter a visitor from the fresh breezes that haunt the summit of the hill; and barberry-hushes clustering within them offer the harsh acidity of their fruits, instead of the rich wines which the colonial magnate was wont to store there for his guests."

"Barberry-hushes" is a misprint. The original reads "Barberry-bushes." https://archive.org/details/dolliverromanceo00hawt/page/193/mode/1up. I caught this misprint because I am aware that certain varieties of barberry are considered invasive. https://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/terrestrial/plants/japanese-barberry. Where I live, we have invasive buckthorn that depletes native habitat for birds... so "barberry-hushes" brought to my mind Rachel Carson's book Silent Spring. In its small way, "barberry-hushes" then became a poetic misprint. What to do about it? Here, I took to heart what Hawthorne wrote when ending his essay: "I have quite forgotten what story I once proposed writing about Browne's Folly," and I freely offer the theme and site to any of my young townsmen, who may be addicted with the same tendency towards fanciful narratives which haunted me in my youth and long afterwards."

Thanks for your contribution to vol. 085. I have marked your reading PL OK! :)
Thank you! I caught those two mistakes, but I was thinking maybe there's something I'm missing and that's how it should be. Next time when I'm unsure I'll definitely cross-check it with an original text!
Currently volunteering for my senior project. Expecting to graduate with a BS in Information and Library Science, Dec. '21!
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

That's ok, vmead! :) Readers sometimes hesitate to question Gutenberg, so that's why I mentioned it. What's funny is that later today the idea of Browne's house "slipping down the bill" started to evoke, for me, a mental picture of a long "supermarket style" cash register receipt (the bill) growing longer and longer as Browne faced the costs of abandoning the house on the hill and building his new house on the flats.
Cheers,
Sue
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

VOLUME 086 IS NOW OPEN! :thumbs: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=89109
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Congratulations! This collection is now in the LibriVox catalog and available for listeners to download. Please check the catalog page and let me know if any changes are needed:

https://librivox.org/short-nonfiction-collection-vol-085-by-various/
Jo
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Thanks, Jo, for cataloging! :D