Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

Section 3 uploaded I mean :|
dc
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

excellent, both sections PL ok. You are making my job very easy here 8-) Why did the spirit hang himself on the tree at the end ? :hmm:

Looking forward to the next tale, this is interesting.

Thanks

Sonia
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

The condition on which the spirit accompanied Vikram was that he wouldn't say a word during the journey, but each time the spirit tricks him with a question at the end of the tale :lol:

Next section uploaded :)
dc
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

dckabir wrote: September 23rd, 2022, 10:04 amThe condition on which the spirit accompanied Vikram was that he wouldn't say a word during the journey, but each time the spirit tricks him with a question at the end of the tale :lol:
:lol: ah yes true, I forgot about that small-print clause in the contract :mrgreen: So he will do this each time now. But the king always gets him back down from his tree, I see.

The next story was really good and I like the explanation at the end. Perfectly narrated and straight PL ok. Thank you

Sonia
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

I've uploaded 2 more sections for your pleasure :) taking a little longer with editing section 5.
Thank you for being so encouraging :9:
dc
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

oops or was it section 6 :?
dc
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah the last story was similar to the one we already had, with the three suitors. And the king doesn't learn, he always needs to answer :lol:

Both sections PL ok. I see you found a few more typos :thumbs:

Thanks

Sonia
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

Hi Sonia

Next two sections uploaded.
I feel like the background noise was better managed in these two by hitting the noise reduction twice.
If you agree and its alright, I could clear up the noise from the already uploaded and PL Okd sections.

and yes the typos are a little more evident now that I'm progressing with the text, bearing/hearing I got from you and I figured we can't have a 'mom' arrive in this old Indian text :D

Thanks again
dc
dc
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

dckabir wrote: September 28th, 2022, 11:56 pmNext two sections uploaded.
:thumbs: both perfectly PL ok. I notice the topics sometimes repeat themselves, we already had 3 people cutting off their heads before. :lol: And the question of 3 suitors for a girl as well.

I find it too funny that the king still replies when he should know by now what will happen. Though it's not very difficult to get the sprite back down from the tree so I guess it's a sort of game for them.
I feel like the background noise was better managed in these two by hitting the noise reduction twice.
If you agree and its alright, I could clear up the noise from the already uploaded and PL Okd sections.
I did not notice much background noise either in the first sections. Don't worry about re-uploading just for that, I would have pointed it out if it was necessary. Always best not to meddle with files which are already PL ok.
and yes the typos are a little more evident now that I'm progressing with the text, bearing/hearing I got from you and I figured we can't have a 'mom' arrive in this old Indian text :D
hehe no indeed. Yes it's the usual OCR scannos. The guys over at Gutenberg let some slip in this project.

Thanks

Sonia
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

Section 10 uploaded!

Yes, some of the tales do seem similar :) but I think the tales were more of a cover to get certain lessons imparted to the common people which would act as guidelines in social/familial/everyday life. Some of these tenets are still realatable today.

One example from section 10/tale VIII would be the following lines: "Now these six things render a man contemptible,—first, the friendship of a perfidious man; second, causeless laughter; third, altercation with a woman; fourth, the serving a bad master; fifth, riding a donkey; sixth, unpolished (or uncouth) speech. * And the following five things the Creator records in a man’s destiny at the time of his birth,—First, length of life; second, acts; third, wealth; fourth, know-ledge; fifth, reputation. O king! so long as a man’s virtues ** are conspicuous, all continue to be his servants; but when his virtues decrease, his very friends become his enemies.”

from tale III: "The practice is, that if one person sells another, this one becomes sold; but a servant, by entering service, sells himself; and, when sold, he becomes a dependant; and once dependant, he has no prospect of peace. It is notorious, that however clever, wise, and learned he may be, still, when he is in his master’s presence, he remains quite silent, like a dumb person, through fear. So long as he is aloof from him, he is at rest. On this account it is that the learned say, ‘To perform the duties of a servant is more difficult than to perform religious duties.’”
dc
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

Kitty wrote: September 29th, 2022, 2:27 am
I did not notice much background noise either in the first sections. Don't worry about re-uploading just for that, I would have pointed it out if it was necessary. Always best not to meddle with files which are already PL ok.

ok, I'll leave them alone. :D

Thank you for your patience
dc
dc
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

dckabir wrote: September 29th, 2022, 9:29 amYes, some of the tales do seem similar :) but I think the tales were more of a cover to get certain lessons imparted to the common people which would act as guidelines in social/familial/everyday life. Some of these tenets are still realatable today.
yes I well understood that. They are parables to convey a moral lesson. Often they might not be read in one bulk, so it doesn't matter so much if they are repetitive in topic.

Another great section, and straight away PL ok. You are making my job here very easy.

Thanks

Sonia
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

Absolutely, something like our parables.

Section 11/ Tale IX uploaded.

Thank you
dc
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

dckabir wrote: September 30th, 2022, 12:27 am
Section 11/ Tale IX uploaded.
I had made a mix-up with the section and tale number :shock: , but have corrected it now. The last upload is section 12/ Tale X.
I'll get section 11/Tale IX up in a bit :)

Thank you
dc
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

very good, section 12 is also PL ok. I marvel at the melodious way you say all these (to me sounding) difficult names. I was wondering, are those names still common in India for modern people or do they sound very ancient to you ?

Sonia