(Complete) The Life of St. Benedict by Pope Gregory I - m8b1

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
patrickrandall

Post by patrickrandall »

The Life of St. Benedict, by Pope Gregory I (540 - 604), translated by P. Aurelius McMahon (1819 - 1882)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-life-of-st-benedict-by-pope-gregory-i/
St. Benedict of Nursia was a sixth century monk and founder of monastic communities. His main achievement, the "Rule of St. Benedict," became one of the most influential monastic rules in the West. St. Benedict is sometimes called the founder of Western monasticism.

One of the only ancient accounts of St. Benedict is found in the second volume of Pope Gregory I's four-book Dialogues, thought to have been written in 593. Gregory's account of Benedict's life provides a spiritual portrait of the gentle, disciplined abbot. Gregory explains that his information came from what he considered the best sources: a handful of Benedict's disciples who lived with him and witnessed his various miracles.

Gregory's Life of St. Benedict is an authentic medieval hagiography cast as a conversation between the Pope and his deacon Peter, designed to teach spiritual lessons. (Summary by Patrick Randall adapted from Wikipedia articles on St. Benedict and Gregory's Dialogues)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/lifeofsaintbened00greg/page/n7/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2022-12-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Life of St. Benedict. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Life of St. Benedict, by Pope Gregory I, translated by P. Aurelius McMahon. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Life of St. Benedict, by Pope Gregory I, translated by P. Aurelius McMahon. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Life of St. Benedict, by Pope Gregory I, translated by P. Aurelius McMahon."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: lifeofstbenedict_##_gregoryi_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. lifeofstbenedict_01_gregoryi_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: m8b1

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

I could PL this if you like but I'd only start in September. (Feel free to take another person if you need it done sooner)
patrickrandall

Post by patrickrandall »

InTheDesert wrote: August 23rd, 2022, 4:22 am I could PL this if you like but I'd only start in September. (Feel free to take another person if you need it done sooner)
That would be great, thank you very much! All told, the work should be about three hours, which I've divided into eight sections of about 2500 words, more or less, or about 20-25 minutes each-- at least that's the plan!

Thanks again!
Patrick
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Hi Patrick,

I'll MC this for you! You should be all set, and I'll go ahead and move you over to Going Solo!

Have fun!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
patrickrandall

Post by patrickrandall »

m8b1 wrote: August 24th, 2022, 5:10 am Hi Patrick,

I'll MC this for you! You should be all set, and I'll go ahead and move you over to Going Solo!

Have fun!
Hi Maria, thank you for taking this on! I'm double-checking word counts per section and will get started on the MW very soon! (Since some of the chapters are very short, sometimes just a paragraph or two, my plan is to have "Sections" instead of chapters in the MW. Section 1 will be something like, "Introduction and Chapters 1 - 2," with the other sections, "Chapters 3 - 6" etc. Hope that's OK!)

Thanks again!
Patrick
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

That is perfectly fine, Patrick. However you want to do it! :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
patrickrandall

Post by patrickrandall »

Hi, section one is finally uploaded! Prepping section two....

Thanks!
Patrick
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Section 1 is PL OK!
patrickrandall

Post by patrickrandall »

InTheDesert wrote: September 13th, 2022, 11:03 pm Section 1 is PL OK!
Hi, thanks for the PL! Just checking in -- I hope to have the next section posted soon; I've been slowed down a bit by an uncooperative voice but I've been actively engaged with the text!. Thanks for being patient!

Cheers,
Patrick
patrickrandall

Post by patrickrandall »

Hi, I had uploaded section two -- but I decided there was a concern about the file, so I removed it from the MW before it could prove an imposition on your DPL time! I'm working on posting an improved file. Sorry for any confusing notifications! Thanks!

Cheers!
Patrick
patrickrandall

Post by patrickrandall »

Hi, in my earlier upload, I was worried that the harsh terminal aspirates "t" and "d" really ruined the listening experience, so I was prepared to chuck it all and re-record. But a "civilian's" feedback was that the file sounded ok to them. So before re-recording, I thought I might post a 25-sec excerpt for your expert feedback, on whether the file is really spoiled by those terminal t's and d's -- ? I can't tell if my ear is just fixated on those sounds or if I really just need to try it again!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_benedict_excerpt.mp3

Thanks so much, sorry for the trouble!

Cheers,
Patrick
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

patrickrandall wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 6:42 pm Hi, in my earlier upload, I was worried that the harsh terminal aspirates "t" and "d" really ruined the listening experience, so I was prepared to chuck it all and re-record. But a "civilian's" feedback was that the file sounded ok to them. So before re-recording, I thought I might post a 25-sec excerpt for your expert feedback, on whether the file is really spoiled by those terminal t's and d's -- ? I can't tell if my ear is just fixated on those sounds or if I really just need to try it again!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_benedict_excerpt.mp3

Thanks so much, sorry for the trouble!

Cheers,
Patrick
There's nothing at all wrong with that audio! We're all our own harshest critics.
patrickrandall

Post by patrickrandall »

InTheDesert wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 6:46 pm
There's nothing at all wrong with that audio! We're all our own harshest critics.
Thanks so much for checking! MW updated with the link to the complete file, ready for PL!

Thanks again,
Patrick
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Section 2 is PL OK!
patrickrandall

Post by patrickrandall »

InTheDesert wrote: September 26th, 2022, 11:53 pm Section 2 is PL OK!
Thanks!