[COMPLETE] Campaigns of Curiosity: Journalistic adventures of an American Girl in London, by Elizabeth L. Banks - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Campaigns of Curiosity: Journalistic adventures of an American Girl in London, by Elizabeth L. Banks (1865 - 1938)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/campaigns-of-curiosity-journalistic-adventures-of-an-american-girl-in-london-by-elizabeth-l-banks/
Elizabeth Banks was an American journalist who, at about age 23, moved to London. While trying to break into English journalism and to keep the wolf from the door, she struck upon the idea of hiring out as a housemaid in some London household and writing about her experiences. Subsequently, she became a street sweeper, flower-seller, and a laundress as well. On the flip side, she advertised as an heiress and demonstrated how easy it was for a wealthy American to "buy a pedigree" and entry into the higher social circles. This book is her relation of these experiences. (Summary by TriciaG)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/campaignsofcurio00bank

Target completion date: 2022-12-31

Prooflistening level: Special
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of Campaigns of Curiosity. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Campaigns of Curiosity: Journalistic Adventures of an American Girl in London, by Elizabeth L. Banks. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of Campaigns of Curiosity: Journalistic Adventures of an American Girl in London, by Elizabeth L. Banks. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Campaigns of Curiosity: Journalistic Adventures of an American Girl in London, by Elizabeth L. Banks."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: campaignsofcuriosity_##_banks_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. campaignsofcuriosity_01_banks_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
joyfulmn

Post by joyfulmn »

<waving hello> :D
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

And we're off!

I notice in the first installment, she doesn't mention how hard up she is for money, and I don't recall from the autobiography that she had a place open in her own home for the sewing girl. :lol: Well, it's not 100% nonfiction, I guess! 8-) (I do recall she tried to hide her hard-up-ed-ness, so this is not really a surprise.)
joyfulmn

Post by joyfulmn »

:-O is this the fastest we've gone from choosing a book into the first two chapters actually recorded?!!

About what you said ... interesting. I was wondering, off and on, if it was supposed to be an actual autobiography or fiction. Then determined it was supposed to be actual... since she did name names. Maybe her memory was just faulty. ;-)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yeah, probably the fastest turnaround. :)
joyfulmn

Post by joyfulmn »

Section 1 PL OK :thumbs:

I had to follow the trend of swift launch. :lol:

For sure, I need to go back to re-listen to 8-) the other book. This is NOT AT ALL how I remember her launch into domestic work.
joyfulmn

Post by joyfulmn »

Oops, in my speed I missed the Preface. But I'll get to that later today. :)
I need to call Diane ;-)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I really don't want to do housework (although we have guests coming over on Saturday), and I have few sections coming in for PL, so I'm recording instead. :lol:

Chapter 2 is uploading now.
joyfulmn

Post by joyfulmn »

:lol: I WAS wondering.
Chapter two headed for my later enjoyment. :D
joyfulmn

Post by joyfulmn »

Sections 1 and 3 PL OK :thumbs: :thumbs: (preface and chapter 2)

So are you feeling like housework yet? :lol:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I did a little bit when Kevin was talking with the door-to-door salesman from Bell (whom Kevin was kinda glad to talk to, offered us a great price for 2 years on fiber internet, which Kevin was on the verge of getting anyway). :lol:

I probably won't be recording any more until next week. Tomorrow's the church stuff, and we're introducing geocaching to Kevin's cousin and her 3 kids.
joyfulmn

Post by joyfulmn »

Cool on all parts! And I'll definitely be patient. :D :D :D
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Finally, another chapter is up!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Chapter 4 is up.

Chapter 5 is recorded but not yet edited.
joyfulmn

Post by joyfulmn »

PL Notes -- thanks for giving me a reason to PL.... besides just enjoying your work. :D

Chapter 3 -- if you take out the slight hesitation at 18:56 the edit won't be noticed.

chapter 4
Missed repeat - 19:56 and if she makes you go without givi…. and if she makes You go without notice she must pay YOU a month”s wages -----nice change btw