[COMPLETE] YOU SHOULD WORRY Says John Henry, by George V. Hobart - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Laur

Post by Laur »

YOU SHOULD WORRY Says John Henry, by George V. Hobart (1867 - 1926)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/you-should-worry-says-john-henry-by-george-v-hobart/
A "not-so-always politically correct" commentary is delivered by the humorous and likeable John Henry on a variety of experiences and adventures that takes place in his own life. He's not shy about telling how he see it. Amongst his subjects this time are Tango Lessons, Automobiles, Dieting, Being in Love, Snap Shots, Servants and more. Definitely, You Should Worry about laughing out loud if you read this in a place where silence is expected. (Summary by Laurie Banza)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20584

Target completion date:

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: uF2OvMfw
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_V._Hobart (George Hobart)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 10
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1914
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: Humorous Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: humor, humorous commentary

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Chapter) # of YOU SHOULD WORRY Says John Henry. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "YOU SHOULD WORRY Says John Henry, by George V. Hobart. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Chapter# of YOU SHOULD WORRY Says John Henry, by George V. Hobart. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #."

If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of YOU SHOULD WORRY Says John Henry, by George V. Hobart."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: youshouldworrysaysjohnhenry_##_hobart_128kb.mp3 where ## is the chapter number. (e.g. youshouldworrysaysjohnhenry_01_hobart_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: icequeen

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Laur on August 15th, 2022, 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Laur

Post by Laur »

PLEASE NOTE: To prospective MC and PL/DPL:
This will be my 3rd book featuring the sassy and funny comical character, John Henry. In the first two books I recorded, I created a special "character voice" for John Henry that sounds "male" as he gives the commentary about the insane experiences he has. In order to follow the pattern I originally set, I am continuing to use the beloved and popular "John Henry" voice, as requested by listeners.

Please note: With each beginning chapter intro and end, it is my actual voice you will hear, but as the story begins to be told, I use a pitch change in audacity to create a male sounding voice for the character, John Henry. The reading is completely mine, just the voice is tweaked to give the impression of a male recounting the story. Funny stuff!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Hi Laurie! I can MC this one for you! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, your MW is up and ready for you! We will wait a day or two to see if we can pick up a DPL.

One, question, Did George Hobart write this book as himself, or as Hugh McHugh?
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Laur

Post by Laur »

icequeen wrote: July 26th, 2022, 8:40 pm OK, your MW is up and ready for you! We will wait a day or two to see if we can pick up a DPL.

THIS ONE, does have GEORGE V. HOBART as the writer. (He did not use his pseudonym name, Hugh McHugh on this one.)
Laur

Post by Laur »

icequeen wrote: July 26th, 2022, 8:34 pm Hi Laurie! I can MC this one for you! Back in a moment with your MW!
Thank you so much, Ann. Getting a lot of compliments on this character, and it will be great to work with you again!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Laur wrote: July 26th, 2022, 8:50 pm
icequeen wrote: July 26th, 2022, 8:40 pm OK, your MW is up and ready for you! We will wait a day or two to see if we can pick up a DPL.

THIS ONE, does have GEORGE V. HOBART as the writer. (He did not use his pseudonym name, Hugh McHugh on this one.)
You are welcome! I like the voices, you are doing a great job on them!

OK, I was wondering about this. Thank you for clarifying!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

I am enjoying the other work soooo much. I would love to DPL this one as well. And most likely any others you do, if you reach out with request. :thumbs:
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
Laur

Post by Laur »

afutterer wrote: July 27th, 2022, 7:55 am I am enjoying the other work soooo much. I would love to DPL this one as well. And most likely any others you do, if you reach out with request. :thumbs:
Thank you very much, Anthony! :D How kind of you to say, and to offer yourself as DPL.
I gratefully accept your offer. Thank you! :clap: :9:
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

afutterer wrote: July 27th, 2022, 7:55 am I am enjoying the other work soooo much. I would love to DPL this one as well. And most likely any others you do, if you reach out with request. :thumbs:
You now have access to the MW, Anthony! Thank you so much!

Off we go to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Laur

Post by Laur »

And here we go with Chapter 1 -
Get ready to have your funny bone tickled!
Mr. John Henry is back in fine form!! :lol:
Laur

Post by Laur »

And Chapter 2 ready for PL :)
Laur

Post by Laur »

Chapter 3 is up and OMgoodness!!! This one comes with a Disclaimer! :lol:

OK... some things for you to know when you PL this. Ignore ALL French pronunciation, and this particular chapter has a couple of French words and an entire French phrase in it. On the individual words, I could look them up, and hear a fairly good pronunciation which I tried to repeat (emphasis on tried). But the phrase is a totally different story (which takes place in a restaurant (by a French waiter)... FORGET IT. I admittedly tell you right now - I murder the language SO BAD that that in itself is hysterical, but IT WORKS here in the story. Remember, John Henry is telling the story, and HE ADMITS HE DOESN'T KNOW French... so you have to think of HIM repeating what the waiter says.
Be forewarned @ 8:48 - 9:06, just sail through it with eyes wide shut, and if you feel like laughing, go ahead... I did. :lol: :D
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

:lol: I'm glad to know I am not the only one who understands her limitation with all things French!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTIONS 1-4

PL OK
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus