COMPLETE: The Federalist Papers by James Madison, John Jay, et al - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kaffen

Post by Kaffen »

The Federalist Papers, by James Madison (1751 - 1836), John Jay (1745 - 1829) et al.

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/the-federalist-papers-by-alexander-hamilton-john-jay-and-james-madison-2

“The Federalist Papers” are a collection of 85 linked essays that explain the construction of the U.S. government and why it was built that way. The Papers are regarded as the best pipeline into understanding the U.S. Constitution and the founding principles of the government it would establish.

I have endeavored here to present these essays, not as articles in a newspaper, but as you might have experienced them if you had sat in a comfortable tavern with a tankard in hand, and listened while these ardent men ranged in front of a friendly fireplace as they attempted to convince you of their arguments.

Following the Revolutionary War, the newly-independent United States of America were organized under the Articles of Confederation. This well-intentioned document was faulty to the purpose, and the new nation rapidly found itself in dire financial distress.

Consequently, in 1787 a Constitutional Convention was called to produce a new blueprint for the government. After completion, that plan was sent to the States in September of that year for ratification, but it immediately came under fire for the powers it granted to the central government.

In New York, views on either side were heated. To persuade the public to support the Constitution for ratification, Alexander Hamilton (who had been a delegate to the Convention) and John Jay (who had helped negotiate the treaty with Great Britain that ended the War), began a series of anonymous essays to educate the citizenry in how the government would be arranged, and why those choices had been made. Later, when Jay was rendered unable to continue by an attack of rheumatism, Virginian James Madison (another Convention delegate who was in New York, serving in the Confederation Congress) was recruited to fill in.

Each wrote essays that were signed “Publius,” the name of a general who had helped to found Rome, to conceal their identities, which might have led to difficulties as Hamilton and Madison had been inside the deliberations at the Convention. These essays were published serially in New York newspapers, eventually reaching the total of 85.
(Summary by Mark Smith)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/1404/pg1404-images.html

Target completion date: 2021-12-15

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Political Science; *Non-fiction/Philosophy/Early Modern; *Non-fiction/Law

Keywords that describe the book:

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Federalist Papers. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Federalist Papers, by James Madison, John Jay et al.. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Federalist Papers, by James Madison, John Jay et al.. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Federalist Papers, by James Madison, John Jay et al.."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: federalistpapers_##_madison_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. federalistpapers_01_madison_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.

I am woefully unaware of the founders' thinking, and as that is often debated in Supreme Court contexts, I feel it's time for me to expand my education. As I often do, I'm going to do it by reading out loud!
I'll add a summary and tags after I'm more familiar with the material.
Last edited by Kaffen on February 18th, 2022, 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Mark

"In narrating everything is simple, but it's the simple things that are difficult." (Apologies to von Clausewitz!)
Mark's Librivoxings
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

Hi Mark,

I'd be pleased to DPL this for you, if you'd like, unless you already have someone in mind.

In our current environment in the U.S., I also have a greater interest in our founders' perspectives when creating our representational republic.
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
Kaffen

Post by Kaffen »

Hey Don - you're hired! Welcome!
- Mark

"In narrating everything is simple, but it's the simple things that are difficult." (Apologies to von Clausewitz!)
Mark's Librivoxings
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Mark. I assume you are aware that this will be version 2? There is a collaborative version in the catalog recorded back in 2007.
Jo
Kaffen

Post by Kaffen »

Yup. I don't have to be first.
- Mark

Mark's Librivoxings
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

I figured that, but thought I'd mention it just in case. :) I'll MC for you - MW will be up shortly.
Jo
Kaffen

Post by Kaffen »

Jo - did you modify the thread title or did I clumsily put the genre there?

Don: First paper is up! :D
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/federalistpapers_01_madison_128kb.mp3
- Mark

Mark's Librivoxings
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Yes. I always add the Genre when I set up the project. If you don't like my choice, feel free to change it.

Meanwhile, I'm moving this thread over to Going Solo. :)
Jo
Kaffen

Post by Kaffen »

- Mark

Mark's Librivoxings
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

Hi Mark,

Papers 1, 2 and 3 are PL OK! Great job! :thumbs:

This is the first I've listened to any of your numerous recordings and projects. In hindsight, I'm glad I applied for and was selected to DPL, for you have a narration style which is very enjoyable to listen to, and keeps the interest level high in the subject matter. I'm looking forward to the listening to the rest of the Papers!

I'm sure I'll be looking to listen to many of your past projects, and applying to more future ones. :D

Thank you!
Don (DACSoft)

In Progress:
Next up:
Kaffen

Post by Kaffen »

Thanks very much for the kind words, Don!
I expect this project to consume over 22 running hours, and I'm afraid a straight reading of it would put me to sleep, and probably everyone who listened, you included. So, I'm trying to give the three writers their own voices, and stand them up in front of a comfortable room (probably firelit) and let them try to convince a willing group of eager listeners of the basic sanity of their arguments.

So, here's John Jay (the eldest of the three, as I expect him to sound) holding forth in Federalist No. 4! :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/federalistpapers_04_madison_128kb.mp3

And, here's No. 5 as well! :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/federalistpapers_05_madison_128kb.mp3
- Mark

Mark's Librivoxings
Kaffen

Post by Kaffen »

Well, curse Hamilton for breaking the pattern and cobwebbing his parts with footnotes! (I hate footnotes!)
It ruins my idea of declaiming to listeners.

But, in spite of a mess of 'em, Federalist No. 6 is up! :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/federalistpapers_06_madison_128kb.mp3
- Mark

Mark's Librivoxings
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

You know you don't have to read the footnotes unless you want to, right?
Jo
Kaffen

Post by Kaffen »

I guess, no, I didn't know.

Hamilton actually manages to use Latin & French in the same footnote, and no English.

Many of the footnotes are single names and are better (for the listener) incorporated directly in the text. Hey Don - I think I'll re-do No. 6.
- Mark

Mark's Librivoxings
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

Papers 4 and 5 are PL OK! :)
Kaffen wrote: October 14th, 2021, 9:24 pm Hey Don - I think I'll re-do No. 6.
OK, thanks. I'll hold off on this one until I hear from you.
Don (DACSoft)

In Progress:
Next up: