[COMPLETE] Rossini, by W. Armine Bevan - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

Rossini, by W. Armine Bevan

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/rossini-by-w-armine-bevan/
A brief summary of the life of the opera king, Rossini. (Summary by Mozartjr)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/rossini00bevagoog

Target completion date: 0-12-00

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography

Keywords that describe the book:

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Rossini. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Rossini, by W. Armine Bevan. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Rossini, by W. Armine Bevan. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Rossini, by W. Armine Bevan."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: rossini_##_bevan_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. rossini_01_bevan_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: craigdav1

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW coming up.

edit: We will stay in the Launch Pad for a day or two in hopes of snagging a DPL.
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

craigdav1 wrote: October 6th, 2021, 2:38 pm MW coming up.

edit: We will stay in the Launch Pad for a day or two in hopes of snagging a DPL.
Sounds good, thanks! :thumbs:
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Feel free to upload audio files and post the links in the MW. Sometimes that entices offers to DPL.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi
As a long time Rossini enthusiast I would be happy to DPL this as I am interested in any book about Rossini. I have even read Stendhal :)

I would like to confirm that Standard PL will be required.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Just waiting for our reader to respond to your offer. And, yes, the proofing is standard.
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

alanmapstone wrote: October 10th, 2021, 12:58 am Hi
As a long time Rossini enthusiast I would be happy to DPL this as I am interested in any book about Rossini. I have even read Stendhal :)

I would like to confirm that Standard PL will be required.
Hi Alan,
For sure, you can be DPL! Thank you so much!
Yes, standard PL would be fine.
Thanks,
Mozartjr
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

craigdav1 wrote: October 9th, 2021, 6:30 am Feel free to upload audio files and post the links in the MW. Sometimes that entices offers to DPL.
I have the first three sections recorded... I will try to edit/upload them (at least some) today.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

I will add Alan to the project when I am near a computer.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving topic to Going Solo forum.
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

Ok, section 00 is ready for PL!
All of the Italian names trip me up :) I'm sure I'll butcher some of them pretty bad at some point :lol:
https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/rossini_00_bevan_128kb.mp3 Duration: 03:11
Mozartjr
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Mozartjr wrote: October 12th, 2021, 1:25 pm Ok, section 00 is ready for PL!
All of the Italian names trip me up :) I'm sure I'll butcher some of them pretty bad at some point :lol:
https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/rossini_00_bevan_128kb.mp3 Duration: 03:11
Mozartjr
Hi

PL Notes for section 0

0.27 OPTIONAL The abbreviation Mus. Doc. stands for Doctor of Music. I hear Musician Doctor.

2.20 Stumble on the name Mierzwinsky.

Overall there is a lot of background noise (which is clearly visible on the Audacity waveform).
Perhaps some Noise Cleaning might be a good idea.

You actually do the Italian names very well :thumbs:
Alan
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

If you are using Audacity the following link might be helpful in using the noise reduction feature (or at least amusing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2603zZhUUk&t=8s
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

Thank you all...
Here's the fixed section 00
https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/rossini_00_bevan_128.mp3 Duration: 03:09
I think that the background noise is the lowest I can get it. I used the Audacity stuff...
I have all but one section recorded, I just haven't had the time to edit them :)
Mozartjr
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Mozartjr wrote: October 16th, 2021, 1:58 pm Thank you all...
Here's the fixed section 00
https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/rossini_00_bevan_128.mp3 Duration: 03:09
I think that the background noise is the lowest I can get it. I used the Audacity stuff...
I have all but one section recorded, I just haven't had the time to edit them :)
Mozartjr
Hi
Not quite sure what you did to this file but there is still some background noise although the overall volume has been reduced to 87db. When I run Audacity noise cleaning on your original file it removes the background noise entirely. Would you like me to clean the new file and re-upload it.
I could also correct the filename which is now missing the letters kb at the end.
The text is now correct.

If it helps here are basic procedures for noise cleaning:

- Load file into Audacity
- Highlight a short section of the file which has no speech (the last 5 seconds are the best bit)
- Click-on Effect > Noise Reduction > Get Noise Profile
- Highlight the whole file (Ctrl A)
- Click-on Effect > Noise Reduction > OK
- Save and re-export the file

Hope this helps
Cheers :)
Last edited by alanmapstone on October 17th, 2021, 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan