[solo] 3 Off Beat SF stories by Fritz Leiber - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

3 by Fritz Leiber, (1910 - 1992)

This collection of odd stories is now in our catalog at https://librivox.org/3-sf-stories-by-fritz-leiber-by-fritz-leiber/

These are three of the strangest stories I could find by the very talented Fritz Leiber. And by strange I mean odd, weird, kinda creepy and yet wonderful. Not your normal Science Fiction here but then Leiber had an amazing imagination and these certainly stretched mine. - The 3 are: Pipe Dream (1959), X - marks the Pedwalk (1963), and Later Than You Think (1950). (Summary by phil chenevert)
Source text (please read only from this text!):

Pipe Dream: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/60664
X-Marks the Pedwalk https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/52776
Later Than You Think https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/50753

Target completion date: 0-12-00

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave less than 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of 3 by Fritz Leiber. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "3 by Fritz Leiber, by Fritz Leiber. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of 3 by Fritz Leiber, by Fritz Leiber. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of 3 by Fritz Leiber, by Fritz Leiber."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: 3byfritzleiber_##_leiber_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. 3byfritzleiber_01_leiber_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: xxxx

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

I started with the middle one. Now, like you said, this was weird. Not a whole lot of redeeming social value in this one. :lol:

A few things to look at:

:46.5 Behind the thick bullet-proof glass its seven occupants had a misty look, You left out the work thick. Your call.

4:17 He broadly hinted You said boldly

4:48.5 squadrons of young suburban motorcycles and scooterites roared through the outermost precincts of the Slum Ring You said scooteries. I think the word should be scooter-ites like metor-ites.

About 5:35.75 I remember your comments about background noise, but here is one that I think could easily be deleted.

6:31 Robespierre's Rats I heard Ross-pierre's. I think the reference to Robespierre is kind of important in the context of the story.

9:16 in-chanting a conformist serenity and stripping illegal armament from cars. You said conforming. Again, I think that conformist stresses the thought of all being the same. Kind of a stronger feeling.

10:56 a little failure, but just enough to brace you." You left out the word but. Again, just adding a little different feeling to the sentence.

11:37.5, 1143.5, 11:44.5 These are some small noises that could very easily be deleted, but your call.

I think I am looking forward to the rest of them. :shock: :lol:

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Well, I went ahead and did "Later Than You Think".

At least this one was more interesting. About halfway through I thought of "Planet of the Apes".

Again, as usual, a very good and engaging narration. I did find one small thing however:

2:29.5 He queried I don't find that in the text. But of course any suggestion I make is yours to do or not to do (that is the question :roll: ).

That will be all for tonight (7:27 pm PDT).

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Phil,

Another one I really enjoyed. The reading was enjoyable as well. I did find a few things you might want to look at:

3:20.5 and having been introduced to one of the brothers—Vasily You said Vlassy The name is pronounced Va-sill-ee with the accent on the middle syablle.* (please see note below)

6:40 Missed She had the Stulnikov-Gurevich face too, though on her, almost incredibly, it was strangely attractive. Insert at about 6:40

8:02.5 calcimine at the time You said calcimite Your call.

11:09 that supported the possibility of a connection between the house next door and the tiny pink aquatic creature now suffering minute agonies behind the bathtub. You said for. A small change, but I think one that is necessary.

14:56.5 gloomed around the studio for a while, picking things up and putting them down. Left off picking things up and putting them down

20:38.5 They both stared at Simon, who felt uncomfortable and began to back toward the door; You said look

32:57 and half carried, half slid with her down the stairs Left out the word with

35:23 Dr. Stulnikov directed his party in a brief but intensive search for overlooked specimens. You said intense

*Phil, the following references are where Vasily was also pronounced Vlassy. I understand the LV policy about pronunciations, so I will leave these up to you, of course. Your other Russian pronunciations were very well done (Ivan being the one Anglicized one), so it is of course your call. 4:17.75, 4:25, 4:46, 18:58, 19:45, 19:58.5, 20:55.5, 22:22, 22:29, 23:38, 25:57, 28:19, 30:11, 30:45, 31:00, 31:58

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

As always Wayne, you do a bang up job. Concerning the first story, I am leaving Vlassy as Vlassy. Yes, I did pronounce it wrong but the poor guy is just gonna have to suffer, changing it in all those places would be disruptive. You know, one of the things that slows me down a lot in recording is the need to write down exactly how every name is pronounced, at least by me in the story. This is a lot more difficult than it looks because most names could have a variety of pronunciations and I have to stick to one. The pad is constantly in front of me on the desk with each name phonetically sounded out so I can refer to it. In Vlassy's case I just assumed wrong to start with and never sounded it out.

This one, the first story, PipeDream, was the most confusing to me; it just did not seem to go anywhere and he seemed to be trying a style not comfortable to him. The premise did grab my attention but it was weird.

The second story has been corrected. X marks the pedwalk. This was the most 'normal' story to me, a science fiction writer observing traffic in different cities in the 1950s and extrapolating to the future when people were divided into cars and pedestrians. I loved the 'SQ" of sanity quotient; he assumed brain power would drop drastically in the coming years.

The third story was beautiful. I loved the clues dropped all through it about the aquatic culture and then the trick ending when it wasn't humans but rats that had left the cache. cool

I fixed everything except the 'intensive' in the first story. Again thanks !1
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

This collection of odd stories is now in our catalog at https://librivox.org/3-sf-stories-by-fritz-leiber-by-fritz-leiber/

Thank you again Wayne for a stellar job of proof listening! and suffering though these odd stories. Image
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

philchenevert wrote: October 25th, 2021, 10:49 am This collection of odd stories is now in our catalog at https://librivox.org/3-sf-stories-by-fritz-leiber-by-fritz-leiber/

Thank you again Wayne for a stellar job of proof listening! and suffering though these odd stories. Image
My pleasure!
Wayne