COMPLETE: John Brown by W. E. B. DuBois - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Okay, off we go again! Section 4 is up.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Thanks for giving me a little wiggle room after the trip, and while finishing up The Bat edits! :)

Section 4 is PL OK :thumbs:

That was quite an informative section for socio-economic history in our country, wasn't it?
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

You are welcome. I spent the time doing sections on "Lady Poisoners" from a collaborative project on systems to defraud insurance companies :D .
I agree, the contextual history lessons in this book really eye opening, and they mesh in parts to both the Tarbell autobiography and the Lincoln biographies. Really enjoying it.
Section 5 is up. This one really packs a punch!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Oh, that Lady Poisoners book sounds like a fun one!
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 5 is PL OK :thumbs:

- Wow! -
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

LCaulkins wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 9:46 am

- Wow! -
Right?

Section 6 is up. You'll note that at 37:19(ish) I altered "!819_59" to "1849-50", because it must be a misprint. I think...
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

OK, I'll watch for that and toss in my perception
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Yeah, I definitely concur about 1819 being a typo for 1849.

Section 6 is PL OK :thumbs:

That whole chapter was powerful.
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Thanks!
I think "powerful" is going to be a recurring theme in this book.
Section 7 is up!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

You know, I think that's the best explanation of the whole "Kansas thing" I've run across.

And wow - such a deeply religious man . . . to concealing and transporting weapons into Kansas, and then this:

"In one black night, John Brown, four of his sons, a son-in-law and two others, the chosen executors of the boldest free state leaders, seized and killed five of the worst of the border ruffians who were harrying the free state settlers, and practically swept out of existence the “Dutch Henry” pro-slavery settlement in the Swamp of the Swan."

Pretty wild! Clearly, he had fabulously strong convictions for ending slavery.

Those Missourians, though, were a wild violent crowd - first the attacks on the Mormons the generation before, and then all this.

And people think we have previously unseen levels of radicals, political strife, and threats of violence these days. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, section 7 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

This book is amazing. I am so glad we are putting it out there to hear. There is nothing like an understanding of history to put the present in perspective. The really frustrating thing is that history is aways filtered through the beliefs and intentions of the historian. This is such a different, and powerful, perspective on things I thought I knew something about. (Well, damn, I thought I was over all that schoolteacher stuff...)
So, section 8 is up.

By the way, Mare and I have taken to listening to The Bat most nights for a chapter or so, and are really into it!

Also by the way, every time I enter the LibriVox download password - not my personal one for the MW, the Librivox one - I get a message that this password was involved in a data breach.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Mind if I ask what browser you are using? It seems it may be specific to Chrome.

You can use your workflow/MW login for the uploader as well as for the MW. I never use the generic uploader password so I would never have seen this if you hadn't mentioned it!
Jo
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Yes, i am using Chrome. I did not realize I could upload with my MW password! Thank you - I will switch to that.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Oh, cool! (about you two listening to The Bat) I am looking forward to enjoying it as an audiobook next summer. After - - something like 84 hours of intense editing in that final 2 1/2 week push, I need a long break from it before my mind will hear it freshly. :lol:

Poor thing had to wait so very long around Covid and family deaths and problems getting the final character in, but turned out terrific in the end!

Thanks so much for doing Cornelia - you were spot-on perfect! And Jennifer's Lizzie was your perfect foil. :heart:
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

The Lizzie reader was phenomenal! I sent her a PM fan mail! Mare expressed interest in listening to other dramatic reading mysteries, but there isn't much that I could find other than Sherlock Holmes.

Section 9 is ready to go.