[COMPLETE][Novel]Colin by E.F. Benson - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Colin, by E. F. Benson (1867 - 1940)

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/colin-by-e-f-benson/

Abandoned solo resurrected as group project
"Colin" tells the story of the Stanier family who come from Stanier, near Rye, in the county of Sussex. The first section recounts their history from around 1600 when the first Colin Stanier made a Faustian pact with the devil in order to win success in life - don't miss the cameo of Queen Elizabeth I - and then jumps to 1900 when his namesake, another Colin Stanier who bears a striking resemblance to the former, tries to lie and sin his way to snatching the family inheritance away from his older twin brother, Raymond.

Here is a contemporary review at the time of publishing:

A reasonable explanation for many young men of the present day is here provided: Their ancestors sold their souls to the devil and the paper, discounted three centuries ago, has just come due.
~The Bookman's Guide to Fiction, 11/1923 (Summary by Jake Malizia)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/colinnovel00bens/page/n13/mode/2up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of Colin.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"Colin, by E. F. Benson.
Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #."
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Colin, by E. F. Benson."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: colin_##_benson_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. colin_01_benson_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by jakemalizia on September 26th, 2021, 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Kitty has very kindly agreed to MC and DPL my solo again. :9:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and here I am with your MW ready to be filled in.

The plot reminds me a bit of my second solo Auriol or the Elixir of Life. Also involving a pact with the devil, eternal youth, and the fine print of course ;)

Looking forward to this story.

I'll move us straight to Going Solo now...

Sonia
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Kitty wrote: September 25th, 2021, 3:46 am and here I am with your MW ready to be filled in.

The plot reminds me a bit of my second solo Auriol or the Elixir of Life. Also involving a pact with the devil, eternal youth, and the fine print of course ;)

Looking forward to this story.

I'll move us straight to Going Solo now...

Sonia
Thank you! I've populated the MW.
Just so you know, the chapters are wrong in the text - Chapter VIII is followed by another Chapter VIII, and so the ordering is all out from there. I've put the chapter numbers as they should be (as they also do on the Gutenberg page).

I do love a Faustian pact storyline :twisted:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jakemalizia wrote: September 26th, 2021, 1:25 amJust so you know, the chapters are wrong in the text - Chapter VIII is followed by another Chapter VIII, and so the ordering is all out from there. I've put the chapter numbers as they should be (as they also do on the Gutenberg page).
:roll: ah why can't the editor not pay better attention before the books goes into print ? :lol: Well as long as the whole text is in there ;)

BTW I managed to record another Nostalgo chapter this morning :9: and hope to finish editing today. Stay tuned !! My rasping voice comes into action. :mrgreen: (not as bad as the one in Hans of Iceland, but coming close - fitting for Nostalgo)

Sonia
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Kitty wrote: September 26th, 2021, 1:33 am
jakemalizia wrote: September 26th, 2021, 1:25 amJust so you know, the chapters are wrong in the text - Chapter VIII is followed by another Chapter VIII, and so the ordering is all out from there. I've put the chapter numbers as they should be (as they also do on the Gutenberg page).
:roll: ah why can't the editor not pay better attention before the books goes into print ? :lol: Well as long as the whole text is in there ;)

BTW I managed to record another Nostalgo chapter this morning :9: and hope to finish editing today. Stay tuned !! My rasping voice comes into action. :mrgreen: (not as bad as the one in Hans of Iceland, but coming close - fitting for Nostalgo)

Sonia
Phewwww these chapters are long - sorry! But I'm enjoying where the plot is going... it's really just establishing the background at the moment.
Here's the first chapter... no rush at all to PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/colin_01_benson_128kb.mp3 - 45m35s
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jakemalizia wrote: September 26th, 2021, 7:46 amHere's the first chapter... no rush at all to PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/colin_01_benson_128kb.mp3 - 45m35s
oh but I was curious to start, and it's written in a really gripping style. I had to check whether there was any real Earl of Yardley on wikipedia :lol: but seems it's all fiction, lucky for them ;) What a bunch of arrogance ! But I'm hooked and want to know what else will happen through the years. 8-)

First chapter absolutely PL ok, you start off good. :thumbs:

Have a good week ! (hopefully no stressful clients)

Sonia
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

And here finally is Section 2!
I think the kitten is my favourite character so far... :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/colin_02_benson_128kb.mp3 - 39m10s
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jakemalizia wrote: October 16th, 2021, 10:29 amAnd here finally is Section 2!
I think the kitten is my favourite character so far... :lol:
:lol: I know what you mean. A kitten is always cute. As for the rest of the family, :shock: wow they are a piece of work. Philip seems to be the most normal of them all.

Still enjoying the style and your narration. :thumbs: PL ok

thanks

Sonia
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Philip starts off seemingly well, but then it goes very downhill.
Misogyny alert :roll:

Here's Section 3:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/colin_03_benson_128kb.mp3 - 40m37s
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

aha, how convenient that Rosina died right after giving Philip his heirs :lol: I am surprised his brother is giving up the heritage without a fight. But I guess there will be no more love lost. Maybe Colin and his cousin get together in the end.

The chapter is perfectly PL ok. I loved the Italian accent of Rosina. :mrgreen:

Thanks

Sonia
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Section 4 coming this weekend - I haven't given up :lol:
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

And here finally is Section 4.
Sorry it's a really long one - take your time with it. This sets the foundation for the rivalry with the twins Colin and Raymond.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/colin_04_benson_128kb.mp3 - 53m40s
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WOW if you have such brothers you don't need enemies :shock: :lol: Those two are really at each other's throat, even if they stay "civil". And I think the way they all treat Colin so much better than Raymond is a shame. :( I wonder who will be killing who first :mrgreen: Just lucky they are not look-alike twins, otherwise both probably already would have gotten the idea of impersonating the other. :hmm:

Still very hooking story, looking forward to hear more. And you play them all perfectly in character, which I like very much, also the chuckles you insert. :thumbs:

Just one small note:

> at 27:21: (p. 76) small part missing: "Very well, mother, said Philip." – I don't know how word perfect you want it, so I noted it down. Of course with your voice and in context the listener will know who is speaking, so I would say it's optional in this occasion. I let you decide

Thanks

Sonia
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Kitty wrote: November 15th, 2021, 2:28 am WOW if you have such brothers you don't need enemies :shock: :lol: Those two are really at each other's throat, even if they stay "civil". And I think the way they all treat Colin so much better than Raymond is a shame. :( I wonder who will be killing who first :mrgreen: Just lucky they are not look-alike twins, otherwise both probably already would have gotten the idea of impersonating the other. :hmm:

Still very hooking story, looking forward to hear more. And you play them all perfectly in character, which I like very much, also the chuckles you insert. :thumbs:

Just one small note:

> at 27:21: (p. 76) small part missing: "Very well, mother, said Philip." – I don't know how word perfect you want it, so I noted it down. Of course with your voice and in context the listener will know who is speaking, so I would say it's optional in this occasion. I let you decide

Thanks

Sonia
Thanks, well spotted. I've changed it just for the sake of accuracy.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/colin_04_benson_128kb.mp3
Ready for spot PL