COMPLETE: Is Shakespeare Dead? by Mark Twain - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

Is Shakespeare Dead?, by Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

This project is now complete.  All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/is-shakespeare-dead-by-mark-twain/

A short, semi-autobiographical work by American humorist Mark Twain. It explores the controversy over the authorship of the Shakespearean literary canon via satire, anecdote, and extensive quotation of contemporary authors on the subject.
In the book, Twain expounds the view that Shakespeare of Stratford was not the author of the canon, and lends tentative support to the Baconian theory. The book opens with a scene from his early adulthood, where he was trained to be a steamboat pilot by an elder who often argued with him over the controversy.

Twain's arguments include the following points:

That little was known about Shakespeare's life, and the bulk of his biographies were based on conjecture.
That a number of eminent British barristers and judges found Shakespeare's plays permeated with precise legal thought, and that the author could only have been a veteran legal professional.
That in contrast, Shakespeare of Stratford had never held a legal position or office, and had only been in court over petty lawsuits late in life.
That small towns lionize and celebrate their famous authors for generations, but this had not happened in Shakespeare's case. He described his own fame in Hannibal as a case in point.
Twain draws parallels and analogies from the pretensions of modern religious figures and commentators on the nature of Satan. He compares the believers in Shakespeare to adherents of Arthur Orton and Mary Baker Eddy. (Summary by Wikipedia)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2431

Target completion date: 2021-10-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Literary Criticism; *Non-fiction/Essays & Short Works

Keywords that describe the book: satire, shakespeare authorship question, semi-autobiography

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Is Shakespeare Dead?. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Is Shakespeare Dead?, by Mark Twain. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Is Shakespeare Dead?, by Mark Twain. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Is Shakespeare Dead?, by Mark Twain."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: isshakespearedead_##_twain_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. isshakespearedead_01_twain_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

DPL Checking in :D
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Phyllis. On my way out, but will get this set up for you later this afternoon.
Jo
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

Thanks Jo. Question for you - it looks like some of these chapters are on the shorter side - can I combine 2 chapters into one section?
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Yes, that's fine.
Jo
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

1 and 2 are ready - I think this will be a fun read.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

PhyllisV wrote: September 27th, 2021, 8:12 am 1 and 2 are ready - I think this will be a fun read.

Yep!
These are both PL OK
~ Larry
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

Sections 3 and 4 are ready
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

And 5 and 6 are now ready
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

All sections 1-6 are PL OK
~ Larry
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

7 and 8 are ready.
That was a short book! Jo, can you delete the remaining sections that weren't used?

Have to search for my next book - I saw something by Houdini de-bunking spiritualism, which I did not realize was as popular as it seems to have been, even among people like Elizabeth Blackwell, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, etc. It's piqued my interest. I will let you both know once I get some time to look into it more.
Have a great weekend!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Great!

Glad to mark these last two chapters PL OK
Classic Twain, eh? Such a sharp tongue and wit.

Yes, Houdini was a crusader in exposing fake spiritualists.
I think maybe he was hoping to find one who wasn't.
And, as I recall, he promised to come back with a predetermined message if he found it was actually possible to communicate to the living after death. Apparently not. :roll: There are a couple of his books in the LV catalog.
~ Larry
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

I really enjoyed reading Twain - tried to find anything else that hasn’t been recorded, but no luck. And now that you mention it, I do remember Houdini promising to send a message from the ‘beyond’ if it was possible. This should also be an interesting read. Just got back a few days ago from the biannual used book sale in Ithaca NY - tens of thousands of books and we try to never miss their sale. I now have 46 books in my ‘to be read’ pile. Winter is coming, and I”m ready!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Congratulations Phyllis on completion of this solo recording for LibriVox! This book is now in the LibriVox catalog and available for listeners to download. Please check the catalog page and let me know if any changes are needed:

https://librivox.org/is-shakespeare-dead-by-mark-twain/
Jo
PhyllisV

Post by PhyllisV »

Looks good, Jo - thank you!