(Complete) Memories and Adventures by Arthur Conan Doyle - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

:lol: Nah, I know exactly what you mean.

At the beginning of my reading for LibriVox, I had that wiggling sensation while listening to my recordings - your voice sounds different, you tune in to every imperfection . . . Time passes, and your ear acclimates to hearing yourself from an outside angle, and you get objective about imperfections while editing, and one day it's no different from listening to someone else's recording. And when you've settled into a good pacing and intonation style, it's pleasing (and affirming) to listen to!
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 25 is terrific. It has one gap at 1:21-1:24 that sounds long. - an optional edit.

Hey, Adrian,

Do you like for me to give you these "courtesy" PL Notes? (things that catch my listener ear, but are not outside LibriVox expectation?)

It just seemed to me that you like to be as attentive as I like to be, so I put these notes up when they don't have to be addressed.

If you prefer not to fuss with them, I'll not bring them up in future sections. :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

Hi, I've done a lot of work editing Chapter 25 now. There were quite a lot of clicks and breathing going on. I did a few noise reductions because of a fridge I was competing with. It ended up with the breathing sounding like Darth Vader. I replaced a lot with silence. And I shortened quite a few pauses including the one you pointed out https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/memories_and_adventures_25_doyle_128kb.mp3
Thanks,
Adrian
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

LCaulkins wrote: October 26th, 2021, 7:19 am Section 25 is terrific. It has one gap at 1:21-1:24 that sounds long. - an optional edit.

Hey, Adrian,

Do you like for me to give you these "courtesy" PL Notes? (things that catch my listener ear, but are not outside LibriVox expectation?)

It just seemed to me that you like to be as attentive as I like to be, so I put these notes up when they don't have to be addressed.

If you prefer not to fuss with them, I'll not bring them up in future sections. :)
ah go on then :mrgreen:
Thanks,
Adrian
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

I've updated 23 and 24 now removing gaps. I'm a reader with a strong sense of gravitas, that's the trouble. In actual fact I'm just ruminating over what I've just read. Maybe I get carried away with my ruminating sometimes :D
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/memories_and_adventures_23_doyle_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/memories_and_adventures_24_doyle_128kb.mp3
Thanks,
Adrian
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

23, 24, and 25 are all PL OK :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

"Darth Vader" :lol: terrific description of that effect on the breath spots when we do a bunch of noise reduction

P.S. The sound of 25 was still good, compared to the earlier chapters. It wasn't noticeably different.
~Lynette * -
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

Here is Ch 26. I have found Truncate Silences in the Audacity menu. The world is my oyster! I also had a moment of hilarity when I misread the phrase where ACD suggests he could walk through the town wearing a burning brazier on his head :D I have repaired it although my wife said i should have left it in to see if you spotted it! I hadn't the heart. https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/memories_and_adventures_26_doyle_128kb.mp3
Thanks,
Adrian
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

lol!!! That does sound funny!
~Lynette * -
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

Thanks,
Adrian
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Chapter 26 is PL OK :thumbs:

That correction is indiscernible - excellent editing.

Although, I think brassiere would have been hilarious, and probably fit in just fine for the context he used. :lol:

Oh, and interesting to see how much he tended toward the psychic realm. I know it was a popular belief system in "Society" during his lifetime.
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

And Chapter 27 is PL OK :thumbs:

I have been amazed through this book at how very much more than "just" the Sherlock Holmes author, Arthur Conan Doyle was. Highly interesting figure. My husband has also enjoyed the bits he's overheard from time to time.
~Lynette * -
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

Thought I'd posted this, but yes Sherlock Holmes was almost the least of what he achieved. Mind you he has a good opinion of himself doesn't he? And of the British Empire. Certainly a child of his time.
Thanks,
Adrian
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

Here is Chapter 28. There is one French phrase which I translated and only spoke in English because I could not make it sound authentic in French. And now I can almost smell the finishing line ...
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/memories_and_adventures_28_doyle_128kb.mp3
Thanks,
Adrian
afinevoice

Post by afinevoice »

Thanks,
Adrian
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

afinevoice wrote: November 2nd, 2021, 10:37 am Here is Chapter 28. There is one French phrase which I translated and only spoke in English because I could not make it sound authentic in French. And now I can almost smell the finishing line ...
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/memories_and_adventures_28_doyle_128kb.mp3
Sorry to step in here, but we cannot have a translation unless it is in the text :? If you need help with pronunciation, I recommend posting in the Need Help?|pronunciation thread.