[COMPLETE] The Brethren by H. Rider Haggard - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elroi

Post by Elroi »

The Brethren, by H. Rider Haggard (1856 - 1925)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-brethren-by-h-rider-haggard-2/
A tale of adventure, love and honour, set amongst the backdrop of the dark times before and during the Kings' Crusade. Two English knights are in love with the same maiden. Their devotion and bravery is tested when their beloved is kidnapped against her will and taken to Palestine and eventually to the court of the famous Muslim leader, Saladin. This sweeping story will take you on a breathless adventure from England to the East where the search for power and the violence of those times are tempered by forgiveness and mercy.
(Summary by Elroi Shelley)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2762/

Target completion date: 2021-11-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Brethren. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Brethren, by H. Rider Haggard. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Brethren, by H. Rider Haggard. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Brethren, by H. Rider Haggard."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: brethren_##_haggard_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. brethren_01_haggard_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Elroi on October 25th, 2021, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Own the day"
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

We do have a version of this in the catalog: https://librivox.org/the-brethren-by-h-rider-haggard/

However, you are still welcome to do your version of it. I mention it because some readers prefer to do books that haven't been done already. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Elroi

Post by Elroi »

TriciaG wrote: September 7th, 2021, 7:16 am We do have a version of this in the catalog: https://librivox.org/the-brethren-by-h-rider-haggard/

However, you are still welcome to do your version of it. I mention it because some readers prefer to do books that haven't been done already. :)
Hi Tricia,

Thanks for your reply.
I did see that it has been done before but I have always had this "thing" (call it a fascination)for knights and romance. I want to do a Haggard book.... so if anyone would be prepared to give me the opportunity and help me MC I would really love to give it a shot.

Elroi
"Own the day"
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

No worries! Just wanted to check.

Yep, I'll MC. I'll be back in a bit with the MW. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

As you're the soloist, you're in charge of updating the Magic Window.

Detailed Instructions for accessing the Magic Window can be found in the document linked here: Instructions for Soloists

Video showing how to use the Magic Window (read the above document first - it has the information on how to log in for the first time, which this does not have):
Magic Windows / Section Compiler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOP4tcr1kl8

I've entered the first two chapters for you as an example. You can fill in the rest. If you want to add "Chapter I" etc. to them, feel free.

When you upload a chapter, put the file duration (mm:ss) in the Notes field and the uploaded URL into the Listen URL field, and mark it from Assigned to Ready for PL.
Elroi

Post by Elroi »

Thank you Tricia, that is great news!
I will get going on this. :clap: :D
"Own the day"
Elroi

Post by Elroi »

All chapters added. Is that all I need to add until recording?
"Own the day"
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yep! We're all set here, until you record. :)
DariaAM

Post by DariaAM »

I'd be happy to DPL. :)
Daria

Readers wanted:
The Robber’s Cave
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've put in Daria as DPL and am moving this to Going Solo. 8-)
Elroi

Post by Elroi »

DariaAM wrote: September 7th, 2021, 7:32 pm I'd be happy to DPL. :)
Thanks so much Daria :9: Hope you are going to enjoy.
"Own the day"
Elroi

Post by Elroi »

TriciaG wrote: September 8th, 2021, 7:19 am I've put in Daria as DPL and am moving this to Going Solo. 8-)
Thank you Tricia.
I just need to finish up another short read before all my energy goes into this. Didnt think I was going to be able to start this project so soon so thanks again to you both.
"Own the day"
Elroi

Post by Elroi »

"Own the day"
Elroi

Post by Elroi »

"Own the day"
Elroi

Post by Elroi »

DariaAM wrote: September 7th, 2021, 7:32 pm I'd be happy to DPL. :)
Hi Daria,

Chapter 2 posted https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/brethren_02_haggard_128kb.mp3.
"Own the day"