[COMPLETE] A Commentary on the Epistle to the Romans, by John Calvin - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

A Commentary on the Epistle to the Romans, by John Calvin (1509 - 1564), translated by Francis Sibson

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/a-commentary-on-the-epistle-to-the-romans-by-john-calvin/
Of all commentators I believe John Calvin to be the most candid...He was no trimmer and pruner of texts. He gave their meaning as far as he knew it. His honest intention was to translate the Hebrew and the Greek originals as accurately as he possibly could, and then to give the meaning which would naturally be conveyed by such Greek and Hebrew words: he laboured, in fact, to declare, not his own mind upon the Spirit's words, but the mind of the Spirit as couched in those words. Dr. King very truly says of him, "No writer ever dealt more fairly and honestly by the Word of God. He is scrupulously careful to let it speak for itself, and to guard against every tendency of his own mind to put upon it a questioneble meaning for the sake of establishing some doctrine which he feels to be important, or some theory which he is anxious to uphold. This is one of his prime excellences. He will not maintain any doctrine, however orthodox and essential, by a text of Scripture which to him appears of doubtful application, or of inadequate force...whether we agree in his conclusion or not, [he] cannot fail to produce the conviction that he is at least an honest commentator, and will not make any passage of Scripture speak more or less than, according to his view, its divine Author intended it to speak."
Excerpted from "Commenting and commentaries" by Charles Spurgeon, 1876 (Summary by InTheDesert)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/commentaryonepis00calv/page/n8/mode/1up

Target completion date: 2021-12-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of A Commentary on the Epistle to the Romans. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "A Commentary on the Epistle to the Romans, by John Calvin, translated by Francis Sibson. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of A Commentary on the Epistle to the Romans, by John Calvin, translated by Francis Sibson. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of A Commentary on the Epistle to the Romans, by John Calvin, translated by Francis Sibson."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: commentaryonromans_##_calvin_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. commentaryonromans_01_calvin_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by InTheDesert on September 4th, 2021, 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
St. Augustine (Vol.6 Psalms 126-150) 96% 2 left!
PL pls: DPL DPL 21 43 27-28
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

I can't find anything about the translator except that he is not this guy, he was at Trinity College, Dublin in the company of E.A. Litton and that he had a B.A.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, I guess I'll have to off my DPL services if you will have me.
The sermons on Ephesians was a monumental project, and this a hefty work as well. Easier text, though. :lol:

In my course on Romans we primarily used Karl Barth's commentary, and the final project was to write our own commentary. Paltry compared to these giants of the faith, but we learned a lot.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

silverquill wrote: September 4th, 2021, 8:02 am Well, I guess I'll have to off my DPL services if you will have me.
The sermons on Ephesians was a monumental project, and this a hefty work as well. Easier text, though. :lol:

In my course on Romans we primarily used Karl Barth's commentary, and the final project was to write our own commentary. Paltry compared to these giants of the faith, but we learned a lot.
I have no idea what keeps bringing you back but if you're along for the ride... glad to have you Larry.

1000 posts!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sure, why not. :)

I was wondering why there were 18 sections when Romans only has 16 chapters. I see there's some additional material. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

TriciaG wrote: September 4th, 2021, 8:15 am Sure, why not. :)

I was wondering why there were 18 sections when Romans only has 16 chapters. I see there's some additional material. :)
Some chapters are slightly longer than 74 minutes (chapter 1 certainly is) so I'll fill in the MW as I go. Incidentally, I don't need a section 0 as a result in case the project still says I requested on).
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Section zero gone. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Sections 1 and 2 are PL OK
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Section 3 is PL OK
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I've marked Section 4 as PL OK.
There are, however, a couple of places where voices can be heard in the background. I mention them only in case you might want to touch them up.

Voices: 14:53-57 15:46 19:37
~ Larry
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

silverquill wrote: September 6th, 2021, 10:18 pm I've marked Section 4 as PL OK.
There are, however, a couple of places where voices can be heard in the background. I mention them only in case you might want to touch them up.

Voices: 14:53-57 15:46 19:37
Thanks for catching that. Spot checks are at 14:53, 15:45 and 19:36.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Sections 4 and 5 PL OK
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Section 6 is PL OK
~ Larry
silverquill