COMPLETE The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You should be able to get into the Magic Window, once you set up your password. (It's not the same as your forum one; you have to set it up.)

If that's too much trouble, please list the chapter titles so I can stick 'em in. That way I don't have to go to the text and grab 'em all myself. ;)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
crcrossen

Post by crcrossen »

Tricia, I went ahead and uploaded the Foreword: (2:23 minutes long). If we are able to use it, and we do put it last, I can redo it to add Sarbaga saying "End of Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame" which is now at the end of Chapter 12.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/windinthewillows_00_grahame_128kb.mp3

I have also uploaded scans of the Title Page, Copyright Page, Cover, Spine, Table of Contents, and Foreword (two pages) that Sarbaga's son sent me, scanned from the 1966 Collins Publishing Edition, illustrated by Tasha Tudor, that she read from.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/WITW_Title_Page_Copyright_Foreword.zip

I will set up a password login on another day... Here are the chapter titles:

Chapter 1 The River Bank
Chapter 2 The Open Road
Chapter 3 The Wild Wood
Chapter 4 Mr. Badger
Chapter 5 Dulce Domum
Chapter 6 Mr. Toad
Chapter 7 The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Chapter 8 Toad's Adventures
Chapter 9 Wayfarers All
Chapter 10 The Further Adventures of Toad
Chapter 11 'Like Summer Tempests Came His Tears'
Chapter 12 The Return of Ulysses

I will reread your post about setting up an account for Sarbaga, and get back to you when I am fresher :) .

Thanks,
Cynthia
crcrossen

Post by crcrossen »

I will be away from my computer from Sept. 4 - 11, but will be checking my email. Hopefully you should have everything you need from me, except perhaps a redone Foreword if we can use it.

As to listing Sarbaga in the catalog -- I do have two personal email addresses (that both come to this same email, so I see everything). Maybe I could use one as Sarbaga?

What does being listed entail? Would anyone be wanting to email Sarbaga?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Generally, we don't use the email addresses. Almost all communication is done via the forum - posts or private messages. I think we've sent out a blanket email message once: to notify people of a hacking incident back in 2012 or thereabouts. I think the email is a requirement for the forum software we use, and the cataloging software requires a forum identity.

Sure, you could use your other email address, or a throwaway one.

If you do choose to set up an account for her, you can post or PM me the user name, and we can activate it without going through the regular "50 questions to make sure you're not a spammer" hoops. 8-)

I'm working on supper, so I'll take a look at the book scan later.
crcrossen

Post by crcrossen »

Thanks for the reply, Tricia. If you don't use the emails much, I can use "[removed email address]". Her user name can be "Sarbaga Falk". Will that work? I would greatly appreciate your activating it and avoiding all those hoops.

I had some trouble trying to set up my account with password to let me in as a BC, so I might need you to walk me through that process again. But my mind is now tired from climbing these learning curves, so I can try again tomorrow. My goal is to have most everything (or even everything) of my part done before I leave Saturday.

I had fun visiting the Librivox site and poking around, which I hadn't really done before. My son is an avid listener, and told me about it years ago. It's pretty incredible :9:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

That sounds OK, although I don't think you can use a space in the user name - so maybe make it SarbagaFalk.

EDIT: This is done. She will show in the catalog as Sarbaga Falk, but in the Magic Window the name doesn't have the space. No big deal. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, I looked at the pictures.

I'm uncomfortable including the foreword. There's no indication of when it was written, and the copyright page says "the special contents of this edition (c) 1966". There's nothing to indicate the foreword is not part of the "special contents."

So... I think we need to leave it out.
crcrossen

Post by crcrossen »

Okay, thanks Tricia. We won't use the Foreword, and that's okay. I see that you entered the chapters into the magic window for me, and created an account for Sarbaga too--thanks for that.

I believe my part is done for now, unless the PL finds a problem (thanks again for your help, mozartjr. I am heading off for the beach.

Thank you again for leading me through this, Tricia. I'll look forward to seeing Sarbaga's reading in the catalog, when that happens.

Gratefully,
Cynthia
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

crcrossen

Post by crcrossen »

I know, mozartjr! Thanks for being PL on this. For some background for you, in 2011, I recorded my friend Sarbaga Falk reading Kenneth Grahame's Wind in the Willows, because I thought she was a delightful reader. When we did these recordings, I had it in mind to upload the project to Librivox at some point, so we followed the directions given by Librivox at that time. Since we recorded, I have made presents of the set of these six CD's for Sarbaga's family and my friends and their children and grandchildren.

Shortly after we recorded this, Sarbaga was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, which worsened until she passed away in February 2020. I have finally seized the day, and have prepped files and uploaded Sarbaga's reading to your site. I am doing this in her honor, and also because I love her reading.

As for myself, among other things I am a composer. I composed three short (about half a minute each) piano pieces to intersperse with the recording sections, to mark disc beginnings, disc endings, and chapter endings. I was not able to include them in this project, but here are links to the three piano pieces I wrote, from my website cynthiasongs.com:

https://cynthiasongs.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/GBL-007-WITW-Piano-1.mp3

https://cynthiasongs.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/GBL-016-WITW-Piano-2.mp3

https://cynthiasongs.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/YAM-001-WITW-Piano-3-vol-red.mp3

Thanks again,
Cynthia
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

By the way, do you want to include any of that backstory in the intro/summary? We can certainly do that! Part of it depends on how much of the information you (and her family) want to make public.
crcrossen

Post by crcrossen »

Thanks for thinking of this. I will consult with her friends and family, and get back to you once I get home. We plan to listen to some of her chapters while we're at the beach together.
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

crcrossen wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 1:35 pm I know, mozartjr! Thanks for being PL on this. For some background for you, in 2011, I recorded my friend Sarbaga Falk reading Kenneth Grahame's Wind in the Willows, because I thought she was a delightful reader. When we did these recordings, I had it in mind to upload the project to Librivox at some point, so we followed the directions given by Librivox at that time. Since we recorded, I have made presents of the set of these six CD's for Sarbaga's family and my friends and their children and grandchildren.

Shortly after we recorded this, Sarbaga was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, which worsened until she passed away in February 2020. I have finally seized the day, and have prepped files and uploaded Sarbaga's reading to your site. I am doing this in her honor, and also because I love her reading.

As for myself, among other things I am a composer. I composed three short (about half a minute each) piano pieces to intersperse with the recording sections, to mark disc beginnings, disc endings, and chapter endings. I was not able to include them in this project, but here are links to the three piano pieces I wrote, from my website cynthiasongs.com:

https://cynthiasongs.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/GBL-007-WITW-Piano-1.mp3

https://cynthiasongs.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/GBL-016-WITW-Piano-2.mp3

https://cynthiasongs.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/YAM-001-WITW-Piano-3-vol-red.mp3

Thanks again,
Cynthia
Wow Cynthia! that is so neat! She is very enjoyable to listen to, and the music is very beautiful :P
PL Notes: Section 04, at 23:46, she repeats something she said before, to correct a slip; it happens again at about 24:55. You could probably take the slips out with the Reaper or Audacity.
I have been enjoying listening to these! Very enjoyable...
Mozartjr
crcrossen

Post by crcrossen »

Glad you are enjoying listening, mozartjr. Thanks for finding the errors, and including their location. I can correct them in Reaper, and will upload a corrected file in the next several days.