COMPLETE: Highways in Hiding by George O. Smith -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
blondon

Post by blondon »

Highways in Hiding, by George O. Smith (1911 - 1981)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be downloaded from the catalog page here -

https://librivox.org/highways-in-hiding-by-george-o-smith/

Volunteers outside the USA: Some of the authors of the poems in this collection may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.

Someone had stolen an important part of Steve Cornell's life.

It was bad enough when his fiancée vanished. It was infinitely worse when everyone in the world insisted it couldn't have happened the way he knew it had.

In a world where ESP and telepathy were normal, it was difficult to keep secrets. But Steve's search for his missing sweetheart brought him to the threshold of one of the greatest secrets of all time. And it was obvious that somebody would stop at nothing to keep him from uncovering it.

What were the oddly sinister symbols along otherwise ordinary roads? What was behind the spreading plague called Mekstrom's Disease? Why were there "blank" spots where telepathy didn't work? Who was the elusive enemy with powers even beyond those ESP had bestowed on mankind?

And, most important of all ... could Steve find that enemy before they made him vanish too? (Publisher's blurb from back cover of the book)
Source text (please read only from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20519

Target completion date: 2021-10-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: science fiction, space, esp

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Highways in Hiding. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Highways in Hiding, by George O. Smith. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Highways in Hiding, by George O. Smith. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Highways in Hiding, by George O. Smith."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: highwaysinhiding_##_smith_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. highwaysinhiding_01_smith_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by blondon on August 30th, 2021, 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I'll MC this for you blondon. Your MW will be available shortly.

Meanwhile, since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator(BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the  "Magic Window" in the top post.  Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler. 

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

If you have any questions, let me know.  I'll leave this thread here in the Launch Pad for a day or so longer before I move it to the Going Solo forum, to see if a DPL (Dedicated Prooflistener) volunteers.  Looking forward to working with you.
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

At some point, please rewrite the summary in your own words. Also, you do not need to include the copyright clearance note in the summary.
Jo
loon

Post by loon »

I'm not seeing a ~ in the thread title - I'm also not seeing a DPL listed. I'd be happy to DPL this book if you wish.

Nice book choice - I'm kind of surprised Highways in Hiding isn't in the LV catalog already.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

I hadn't added it, but yes we need a DPL here. This book was started once before but ended up abandoned. Welcome to the project. :)
Jo
blondon

Post by blondon »

Thank you both! I'm SO excited to be doing this with you! I'll get the summary and info for the workflow in right away.
blondon

Post by blondon »

Hi - quick question; should I put in all the chapter titles first or do them as I go?
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

It's up to you. In general, most readers do them all at once, but since this is a solo, you can do it whichever either way is easiest for you.
Jo
loon

Post by loon »

I'm curious to find out how you are going to handle the #mind-to-mind communications# - I have a couple ideas on how I could do it. But this sort of choice is totally up to the reader, so whatever you pick will be correct!
blondon

Post by blondon »

Good question! My first thought is to keep it vocally low and intimate, as if he's speaking to himself. But I'm open to suggestion!
blondon

Post by blondon »

Where do I put the summary re-write?
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

In the top right corner of your original post in this thread, there is a pencil icon. Click it to edit that post. Just replace the original with the new one. I'll copy it and replace it in the database entry.
Jo
blondon

Post by blondon »

Okay, thanks. There's a blurb on the back cover of the original book:

Someone had stolen an important part of Steve Cornell's life.It was bad enough when his fiancée vanished. It was infinitely worse when everyone in the world insisted it couldn't have happened the way he knew it had.In a world where ESP and telepathy were normal, it was difficult to keep secrets. But Steve's search for his missing sweetheart brought him to the threshold of one of the greatest secrets of all time. And it was obvious that somebody would stop at nothing to keep him from uncovering it. What were the oddly sinister symbols along otherwise ordinary roads? What was behind the spreading plague called Mekstrom's Disease? Why were there "blank" spots where telepathy didn't work? Who was the elusive enemy with powers even beyond those ESP had bestowed on mankind? And, most important of all ... could Steve find that enemy before they made him vanish too?

A Lancer Book · Never Before Complete In Paperback

Excerpt From: George O. Smith. “Highways in Hiding.” Apple Books.

Do you think that's good to use, or should I write a new one?
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

You can use anything from the Project Gutenberg transcript of the book. So all or a portion of the following which appears at the end of the text would be OK.
Someone had stolen an important part of Steve Cornell's life.

It was bad enough when his fiancée vanished. It was infinitely worse when everyone in the world insisted it couldn't have happened the way he knew it had.

In a world where ESP and telepathy were normal, it was difficult to keep secrets. But Steve's search for his missing sweetheart brought him to the threshold of one of the greatest secrets of all time. And it was obvious that somebody would stop at nothing to keep him from uncovering it.

What were the oddly sinister symbols along otherwise ordinary roads? What was behind the spreading plague called Mekstrom's Disease? Why were there "blank" spots where telepathy didn't work? Who was the elusive enemy with powers even beyond those ESP had bestowed on mankind?

And, most important of all ... could Steve find that enemy before they made him vanish too?
It's not really an excerpt from the book, so I would credit as "(Publisher's blurb from back cover of the book)"

You also need to record using the online PG version - not from Apple Books.
Jo
loon

Post by loon »

blondon wrote: August 30th, 2021, 9:54 am Good question! My first thought is to keep it vocally low and intimate, as if he's speaking to himself. But I'm open to suggestion!
That ought to work. Make sure it's something you're comfortable slipping into and out of, as the book has a lot of #mental communication" throughout.

Last year, some of my neighbors were re-recreating old radio drama scripts over Zoom (just to stave off boredom). In some of the scripts we talked through a chunk of poster mailing tube to simulate a telephone sound effect without needing any special microphone or electronic filtering. That worked, sort of - lol!