[COMPLETE] Over Prairie Trails by F. P. Grove - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
beeber

Post by beeber »

Over Prairie Trails, by Frederick Philip Grove (1879 - 1948)

This project is now complete. All recordings can be downloaded from the catalog page:
https://librivox.org/over-prairie-trails-by-frederick-philip-grove/

When Frederick Philip Grove settled in a remote area of Manitoba in the early years of the 20th century, he found work teaching in a school over 30 miles from his home. He commuted by horse-and-wagon or horse-and-sleigh each weekend, and seven of those long and challenging journeys are recorded in “Over Prairie Trails,” published in 1922.

Grove has a sharp eye for details of nature that were of life-and-death importance to the lone prairie traveller — the shifting aspects of skies, wind, fog, and snow. On one level, the book is a treasury of documentary observation and nature writing.

However, while Grove claims to offer a naturalist’s “plain truth,” we come to realize that he is creating a “tale” as much as a nature diary. He selects and arranges his material. Sometimes this means transforming his accounts into archetypal heroic journeys, casting himself as the Odyssean adventurer who battles his way through seas of snow and fog to return to his wife and child. At other times, his reports launch meditations on the nature of observation, consciousness, and the construction of meaning.

“Over Prairie Trails” is a landmark in Canadian writing, influencing the way nature — especially the Canadian winter— would be written about for decades to come.
(Summary by Bruce Pirie)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/6111

Target completion date: 2021-12-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography/Memoirs
Keywords that describe the book: prairie, Canada, snow, winter, manitoba, fog, nature writing
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of Over Prairie Trails. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Over Prairie Trails, by Frederick Philip Grove. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of Over Prairie Trails, by Frederick Philip Grove. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Over Prairie Trails, by Frederick Philip Grove."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: overprairietrails_##_grove_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. overprairietrails_01_grove_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: availle

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by beeber on September 17th, 2021, 8:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

This sounds interesting! I'll MC this for you. MW up in ... 3...2... 1...

....aand here it is!

All looks good; we can stay here for a couple of days and see if we can attract a DPL.
Have fun! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
beeber

Post by beeber »

Thank you, Ava!
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Hi I was gonna jump on this and ask to DPL but just realised that the author death date is probably 1948 no 1848 so not 100% sure if it's PD for me please could you clarify.
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
beeber

Post by beeber »

Hi, Michele.

You're right, of course: the death date should be 1948. With a publication date of 1922, it's certainly Public Domain in the US, which I guess is why the book can be posted by Project Gutenberg. But even if you're in a "death + 70 years" jurisdiction, that should still be OK, I think? (Because 1948 + 70 = 2018?)

However, when it comes to PD, I'm out of my depth, so I'll let our MC / Admin deliver the final judgement. Ava, I notice that when I search for Grove in the LibriVox catalog, the write-up correctly states "1948," but the heading has the incorrect "1848" death-date. I guess that should be fixed?

Bruce
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Death-date fixed.

Yes, this one is PD in the US because of the publication date of 1922, and it is also PD in every country with a copyright extending to no more than "death+72 years". Which means, it's fine to read and listen to almost everywhere, with very few exceptions. :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
wib66

Post by wib66 »

That's great thanks would like to DPL if you would like me to
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
beeber

Post by beeber »

wib66 wrote: August 25th, 2021, 4:15 pm That's great thanks would like to DPL if you would like me to
Wonderful! That would be greatly welcomed. Thanks!
Bruce
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Excellent - off we go to "Going Solo".

Enjoy! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
beeber

Post by beeber »

Section 1 is ready for PL.

Bruce
wib66

Post by wib66 »

queued for PL
Michele
beeber

Post by beeber »

Section 2 is ready for PL.

This chapter describes the journey in ideal conditions — i.e., in good, clear weather. This establishes a kind of "baseline" experience, before he goes on to describe the journey in all sorts of other kinds of weather.

Bruce
wib66

Post by wib66 »

queued for PL
Michele
wib66

Post by wib66 »

PL notes for section 1

There should be between 0.5 and 1 second of silence at the beginning of the file it is currently shorter than this
Michele
wib66

Post by wib66 »

PL Notes for section 2

There should be between 0.5 and 1 second of silence at the beginning of the file it is currently shorter than this
Michele