[COMPLETE][Solo][Mystery]The Yellow Face, by Fred M. White - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Kitty wrote: August 26th, 2021, 9:42 am
jakemalizia wrote: August 26th, 2021, 9:23 amI'm not sure what your hunch is, as to why the woman was familiar? The only women we've been introduced to so far are Claire and the nameless housekeeper :hmm: :hmm: a younger version of her?
yes the housekeeper herself. Look at how both are portrayed: the dark face was mentioned both times. Anstruther doesn't talk to the housekeeper but her eyes follow his slightest moves of the hand. Imagine the same woman, once mousy-dressed and sulking, once flashy dressed, hair down and radiant. It could be the same but looking completely different. That's my hunch anyway.

And it's not the death as such that is startling, but hey NOSTALGO himself ?!! Before he even got a speaking role ? :shock:

Thanks for the quick PL :) And I'm happy you love it.

Managed to read the next chapter this afternoon. 4 new people get introduced, I am expanding my repertoire of voices :mrgreen:

Won't finish editing tonight, but surely tomorrow 8-)

have a nice evening still, maybe you're editing your music-solo as well.

Sonia
I think your hunch is right... is the half-hour thing turning back time? I don't know, but I'm intrigued.
I hope Nostalgo gets a speaking part eventually... I'd love to hear your Nostalgo voice :lol: :lol:
See you on the next one
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jakemalizia wrote: August 26th, 2021, 9:53 amis the half-hour thing turning back time?
I have no idea what that was all about :hmm: I thought maybe because she allegedly can't speak it was her way of saying that in half an hour they must leave ? But it was bizarre.
I hope Nostalgo gets a speaking part eventually... I'd love to hear your Nostalgo voice :lol: :lol:
well unless this is "fake Nostalgo", he won't reappear again :lol: but maybe there is more than one.... maybe my Hans of Iceland voice would have been fitting.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Four more people show up... the plot thickens. Here is chapter 4.

I had to look up what a "speaking likeness" is...I'm not even sure I stress it correctly. Is is SPEAKING likeness, or speaking LIKENESS ? :hmm: depends what you want to emphasize and I'm not really sure about this. I made a good guess, so please tell me if you find it odd.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/yellowface_04_white_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 19:09 min.

Sonia
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Kitty wrote: August 27th, 2021, 2:11 am Four more people show up... the plot thickens. Here is chapter 4.

I had to look up what a "speaking likeness" is...I'm not even sure I stress it correctly. Is is SPEAKING likeness, or speaking LIKENESS ? :hmm: depends what you want to emphasize and I'm not really sure about this. I made a good guess, so please tell me if you find it odd.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/yellowface_04_white_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 19:09 min.

Sonia
The way you said "speaking likeness" is just fine. It's a bit of an odd phrase for the chapter title, isn't it? I couldn't really figure out which part of the chapter it is in relation to... I guess the dead man is a speaking likeness of the poster, or vice versa? :lol:

PL OK! :thumbs:
I did find it funny how the detective was quite happy to let Jack follow him around and basically tell him how to do his job :lol: :lol:
That dark-skinned woman is even more mysterious... I'm dying to know what she is all about.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jakemalizia wrote: August 27th, 2021, 4:50 amThe way you said "speaking likeness" is just fine. It's a bit of an odd phrase for the chapter title, isn't it? I couldn't really figure out which part of the chapter it is in relation to... I guess the dead man is a speaking likeness of the poster, or vice versa? :lol:
yes in the end I figured that was what was meant. The titles are a bit cryptic
I did find it funny how the detective was quite happy to let Jack follow him around and basically tell him how to do his job :lol: :lol:
:mrgreen: yes me too, I found it very odd. I'm not sure whether he will turn out a bumbling Lestrade, or a cool Holmes-type. Since he speaks very softly, I opted to make him quietly clever, despite letting Jack boss him around :lol:
That dark-skinned woman is even more mysterious... I'm dying to know what she is all about.
yes now all of a sudden she can talk ! :shock: so it's all just an act ? She is starting to be suspicious. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the PL !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Chapter 5 is ready.... something predictable happens :roll:

Oh and my judgement of the Inspector is finalized...I think he really is more the bumbling Lestrade type :lol: I made him suitably drowsy. Switching from his tired voice back to Jack's forceful "angry young man" attitude was quite a feat in this chapter. I am starting to feel like a multiple :mrgreen: I guess Jack will be running the show before long (actually he already does)

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/yellowface_05_white_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 13:18 min.

Oh and I see I got work to do in the Primrose Path ! I'm on it.

Sonia
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Kitty wrote: August 28th, 2021, 3:33 am Chapter 5 is ready.... something predictable happens :roll:

Oh and my judgement of the Inspector is finalized...I think he really is more the bumbling Lestrade type :lol: I made him suitably drowsy. Switching from his tired voice back to Jack's forceful "angry young man" attitude was quite a feat in this chapter. I am starting to feel like a multiple :mrgreen: I guess Jack will be running the show before long (actually he already does)

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/yellowface_05_white_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 13:18 min.

Oh and I see I got work to do in the Primrose Path ! I'm on it.

Sonia
Great, PL OK!

I must say, the police in this part of town are really not coming off very capable :lol: first we have your Lestrade type, who is quite happy for Jack to run his investigation for him, and then the Sergeant is totally clueless... accuses a fellow officer of being drunk, when really he is in dire need of medical attention, having just been strangled :lol:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you for the PL ok :)
jakemalizia wrote: August 29th, 2021, 8:54 amI must say, the police in this part of town are really not coming off very capable :lol: first we have your Lestrade type, who is quite happy for Jack to run his investigation for him, and then the Sergeant is totally clueless... accuses a fellow officer of being drunk, when really he is in dire need of medical attention, having just been strangled :lol:
:mrgreen: yes it doesn't look good for the police force...and now the press is getting wind of it all. And Richard Rigby reappears (remember him ?) Looks like he will be a big role from now on, so it's good I gave him a voice I really like. Always good humoured and boisterous, unlike his more brooding friend Jack.

Oh and I hope I was able to convey a "staccato voice" well... :hmm: this guy got on my nerves :lol: I hope he won't appear too often.

Here is chapter 6, with another huge OH :shock: at the end ! The inspector's tribulations are not likely to end any time soon.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/yellowface_06_white_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 12:55 min.

Sonia
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

:mrgreen: yes it doesn't look good for the police force...and now the press is getting wind of it all. And Richard Rigby reappears (remember him ?) Looks like he will be a big role from now on, so it's good I gave him a voice I really like. Always good humoured and boisterous, unlike his more brooding friend Jack.

Oh and I hope I was able to convey a "staccato voice" well... :hmm: this guy got on my nerves :lol: I hope he won't appear too often.

Here is chapter 6, with another huge OH :shock: at the end ! The inspector's tribulations are not likely to end any time soon.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/yellowface_06_white_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 12:55 min.

Sonia
Yeah, it doesn't look good for the police. They were already looking pretty incapable, and now they have a whole newspaper trying to beat them to the investigation. Maybe someone from the Daily Planet took the body, so they could inquest it first :hmm: unlikely, but would be quite amusing.

I wasn't expecting the body to disappear... it's a real cliffhanger for sure.

Your interpretation of "staccato" is just as I would have expected it

Oh... and PL OK! :thumbs:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jakemalizia wrote: August 30th, 2021, 7:29 amYeah, it doesn't look good for the police. They were already looking pretty incapable, and now they have a whole newspaper trying to beat them to the investigation. Maybe someone from the Daily Planet took the body, so they could inquest it first :hmm: unlikely, but would be quite amusing.
I don't think they went that far...that would be obstruction of justice wouldn't it ? ;) Also the thought crossed my mind...what if the body was not dead yet after all ? Maybe he simply walked out :lol: At this point anything is open still.
ah thanks, yes I wasn't too sure what this meant :? He turned out a bit of a quirky military general snappy sort of type.

I recorded chapter 7 and new developments appear, and the author's ability to end of a cliffhanger is legendary.

I wonder whether this Rigby character also appeared in other stories of White :hmm: maybe he is writing other cases where he is involved. Would be cool, I like the guy. He seems a sort of Sherlock Holmes (in this chapter he is camouflaging himself, something Holmes also regularly did). So we have the team complete: Rigby (Holmes), Jack (Watson) and Bates (Lestrade) :lol:

Thanks for the PL :) I will probably post the next chapter tomorrow. Not sure I can finish up today.

How was golfing ?

Sonia
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Kitty wrote: August 30th, 2021, 7:37 am I don't think they went that far...that would be obstruction of justice wouldn't it ? ;) Also the thought crossed my mind...what if the body was not dead yet after all ? Maybe he simply walked out :lol: At this point anything is open still.
ah thanks, yes I wasn't too sure what this meant :? He turned out a bit of a quirky military general snappy sort of type.

I recorded chapter 7 and new developments appear, and the author's ability to end of a cliffhanger is legendary.

I wonder whether this Rigby character also appeared in other stories of White :hmm: maybe he is writing other cases where he is involved. Would be cool, I like the guy. He seems a sort of Sherlock Holmes (in this chapter he is camouflaging himself, something Holmes also regularly did). So we have the team complete: Rigby (Holmes), Jack (Watson) and Bates (Lestrade) :lol:

Thanks for the PL :) I will probably post the next chapter tomorrow. Not sure I can finish up today.

How was golfing ?

Sonia
Oh, he could well be still alive. Maybe he was in the black cab, or maybe not. :hmm:
Haha, now we're just waiting for our Moriarty... whomever is behind this Nostalgo mystery.
Golf was good - I'm very amateur but the lesson helped :thumbs:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jakemalizia wrote: August 30th, 2021, 8:15 amHaha, now we're just waiting for our Moriarty... whomever is behind this Nostalgo mystery.
ah yes, Moriarty...he could be Anstruther of course. Even though, that guy doesn't appear much anymore :lol:

And chapter 7 is ready....Rigby jumps into action. And as always, a wonderful breath-taking cliff-hanger. I hope tonight you won't hear the stairs creaking :mrgreen:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/yellowface_07_white_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 14:19 min.

Sonia
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Kitty wrote: August 31st, 2021, 11:06 am
jakemalizia wrote: August 30th, 2021, 8:15 amHaha, now we're just waiting for our Moriarty... whomever is behind this Nostalgo mystery.
ah yes, Moriarty...he could be Anstruther of course. Even though, that guy doesn't appear much anymore :lol:

And chapter 7 is ready....Rigby jumps into action. And as always, a wonderful breath-taking cliff-hanger. I hope tonight you won't hear the stairs creaking :mrgreen:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/yellowface_07_white_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 14:19 min.

Sonia
I did wonder about Anstruther... I was quite keen to see more of him.
Oh, no... Rigby, just as reckless as Jack! This town is full of Peeping Toms.

Enjoyed it, as always! PL OK :thumbs:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

well Anstruther is making a cameo appearance again here.

And why is Rigby so reluctant to tell us all what happened in that house ?!!! He is milking the cliffhanger to the utmost. :evil: You know, in movies, when people say "I will tell you the secret tomorrow" they usually die in the night :lol: so this is one thing one should never do. If you know something about the case, say it NOW, tomorrow may be too late.

Here is Chapter 8, hope you like it. And I already have a hunch who this Signor Padini may be ;) Padini - the violinist - not at all reminiscent of Paganini :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/yellowface_08_white_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 14:16 min.

Sonia
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Kitty wrote: September 1st, 2021, 10:09 am well Anstruther is making a cameo appearance again here.

And why is Rigby so reluctant to tell us all what happened in that house ?!!! He is milking the cliffhanger to the utmost. :evil: You know, in movies, when people say "I will tell you the secret tomorrow" they usually die in the night :lol: so this is one thing one should never do. If you know something about the case, say it NOW, tomorrow may be too late.

Here is Chapter 8, hope you like it. And I already have a hunch who this Signor Padini may be ;) Padini - the violinist - not at all reminiscent of Paganini :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/yellowface_08_white_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 14:16 min.

Sonia
The mystery deepens.... :hmm:
Come on Rigby, tell us what you saw! Unless he has been compromised somehow in that house, and he's now part of the conspiracy? :hmm:
I have a hunch who the Padini is too... the man Jack saw through the window of the music room?
PL OK! As always :thumbs: