[COMPLETE][Solo][Mystery]The Yellow Face, by Fred M. White - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

The Yellow Face, by Fred M. White (1859-1935)

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/yellow-face-by-fred-m-white/
Who is Nostalgo ?

Posters with his unsettling, grinning face are appearing on scaffolds all over London.
A murdered body, horribly disfigured and bearing a striking resemblance to the man on the poster, has vanished from the police-office the next day.

Jack Masefield wants to protect his fiancée Claire from her shady guardian Anstruther, and before he knows it, he is in the thick of the mystery, unraveling a tale of greed, deception, revenge and dark deeds. (Summary by Sonia)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/yellowface00whit/page/n5/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2022-12-31

Prooflistening level: Special (read along with text and mention pronunciation errors)
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of The Yellow Face. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"The Yellow Face, by Fred M. White. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of The Yellow Face, by Fred M. White. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain."
[Optional: "Read by your name."]
"Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #."
[Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Yellow Face, by Fred M. White."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: yellowface_##_white_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. yellowface_01_white_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kitty

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

So: after a long hiatus, I think I am ready for another solo.

Thank you, Jake, for accompanying me on this journey :9: I'm sure we are going to have fun.

Sonia
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Yup! I'm in to DPL for this - looking forward to it :mrgreen:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jakemalizia wrote: August 23rd, 2021, 6:17 am Yup! I'm in to DPL for this - looking forward to it :mrgreen:
:thumbs:

I think some of the chapter titles will make you very curious

Sonia
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Kitty wrote: August 23rd, 2021, 6:19 am
jakemalizia wrote: August 23rd, 2021, 6:17 am Yup! I'm in to DPL for this - looking forward to it :mrgreen:
:thumbs:

I think some of the chapter titles will make you very curious

Sonia
As a Chopin fan... I am quite intrigued already
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jakemalizia wrote: August 23rd, 2021, 6:33 amAs a Chopin fan... I am quite intrigued already
thought so :mrgreen:

Well...I was eager to start at least, so here is the first chapter. Don't worry, I will not continue at this rate. :lol:

4 characters show up, all well drawn and intriguing...who is good, who is bad, who is hiding something and who is innocent ? And what is the deal with the Yellow Face ?

Enter at your own peril....

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/yellowface_01_white_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 12:44 min.

So I timed myself to find out how long I would need. This is about the average chapter I would say, judging by page length. The end result must be about 11 hours. Let's see how accurate this projection is in the end ;)

Hope you enjoy

Sonia
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Kitty wrote: August 23rd, 2021, 10:39 am
jakemalizia wrote: August 23rd, 2021, 6:33 amAs a Chopin fan... I am quite intrigued already
thought so :mrgreen:

Well...I was eager to start at least, so here is the first chapter. Don't worry, I will not continue at this rate. :lol:

4 characters show up, all well drawn and intriguing...who is good, who is bad, who is hiding something and who is innocent ? And what is the deal with the Yellow Face ?

Enter at your own peril....

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/yellowface_01_white_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 12:44 min.

So I timed myself to find out how long I would need. This is about the average chapter I would say, judging by page length. The end result must be about 11 hours. Let's see how accurate this projection is in the end ;)

Hope you enjoy

Sonia
Ohhh well done! I am really gripped already. The creepy face, and the villainous Anstruther :mrgreen:
Well read and nothing to report - all PL OK! Really looking forward to the next chapter :thumbs:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jakemalizia wrote: August 23rd, 2021, 2:05 pmThe creepy face, and the villainous Anstruther :mrgreen:
he may not be a bad guy...just misunderstood :mrgreen:

Thanks for the quick PL and I'm happy you like the story so far. :9:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Well, I couldn't resist, this is the shortest chapter of the book, so might as well get it done and dusted. New creepiness arises from Anstruther...

Question: are you also pronouncing "Chopin" the French way in English ? I just did, but please let me know whether that sounds odd. Same for "nocturne".

I already re-did the "claret" sentence after a hunch and checking on wiktionary and getting the devastating verdict that it's "hyperforeign" (meaning wrong :lol: ) to leave out the 't' like in French. One more word I need to adjust in my vocabulary. :?

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/yellowface_02_white_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 4:28 min.

The next two chapters are the longest ones, both 10 pages. I'm glad when those two are in the box :lol:

Sonia
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Kitty wrote: August 24th, 2021, 9:30 am Well, I couldn't resist, this is the shortest chapter of the book, so might as well get it done and dusted. New creepiness arises from Anstruther...

Question: are you also pronouncing "Chopin" the French way in English ? I just did, but please let me know whether that sounds odd. Same for "nocturne".

I already re-did the "claret" sentence after a hunch and checking on wiktionary and getting the devastating verdict that it's "hyperforeign" (meaning wrong :lol: ) to leave out the 't' like in French. One more word I need to adjust in my vocabulary. :?

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/yellowface_02_white_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 4:28 min.

The next two chapters are the longest ones, both 10 pages. I'm glad when those two are in the box :lol:

Sonia
Great, this is PL OK! I would not be brave enough to stick around like Jack... I'd have been long out of that house :lol:

The way you did Chopin and nocturne were great. In general Chopin is pronounced in English either like "show-pan" or "shop-pan". I'm of the latter tribe, like you I think, but either would be fine.
Your "claret" was perfect.

See you on the next one
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jakemalizia wrote: August 25th, 2021, 1:13 amGreat, this is PL OK! I would not be brave enough to stick around like Jack... I'd have been long out of that house :lol:
yes, but then you won't get Claire ;)
In general Chopin is pronounced in English either like "show-pan" or "shop-pan".
ah so you would rather say the 'n' as well ? Ah well, it's close enough. Thank you for the quick PL :)
yes that's because I re-did it :lol: my hunch to check this word was correct.

I will try to do one of the long chapters still before I go back to work. Fingers crossed. Not today though I guess.

Sonia
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Kitty wrote: August 25th, 2021, 1:39 am
jakemalizia wrote: August 25th, 2021, 1:13 amGreat, this is PL OK! I would not be brave enough to stick around like Jack... I'd have been long out of that house :lol:
yes, but then you won't get Claire ;)
In general Chopin is pronounced in English either like "show-pan" or "shop-pan".
ah so you would rather say the 'n' as well ? Ah well, it's close enough. Thank you for the quick PL :)
yes that's because I re-did it :lol: my hunch to check this word was correct.

I will try to do one of the long chapters still before I go back to work. Fingers crossed. Not today though I guess.

Sonia
I hope Claire is worth it, Jack :lol:
Oh yeah, without the "n" is close enough. And I've heard people pronounce it like that as well - usually because they actually know how to pronounce French words properly :lol:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jakemalizia wrote: August 25th, 2021, 1:54 amI hope Claire is worth it, Jack :lol:
honestly, our good Jack in this chapter doesn't seem to be interested too much in his fiancée. He spends the entire chapter as a peeping Tom, until he finally remembers that he should be talking to her :lol:

Now this chapter introduces more people, equally intriguing.... I don't know about you, but I had a hunch why this woman looks so familiar to Jack ;) maybe you will have the same feeling than me with that. I'm curious to know...

And then the end :shock: didn't see that one coming so early in the book !

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/yellowface_03_white_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 19:10 min.

Hope you enjoy :)

Sonia
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Kitty wrote: August 26th, 2021, 3:22 am
jakemalizia wrote: August 25th, 2021, 1:54 amI hope Claire is worth it, Jack :lol:
honestly, our good Jack in this chapter doesn't seem to be interested too much in his fiancée. He spends the entire chapter as a peeping Tom, until he finally remembers that he should be talking to her :lol:

Now this chapter introduces more people, equally intriguing.... I don't know about you, but I had a hunch why this woman looks so familiar to Jack ;) maybe you will have the same feeling than me with that. I'm curious to know...

And then the end :shock: didn't see that one coming so early in the book !

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/yellowface_03_white_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 19:10 min.

Hope you enjoy :)

Sonia
PL OK! :thumbs: no issues again

Poor Claire is not interesting enough for Jack's attention :lol: there's too much else going on. I'm not sure what your hunch is, as to why the woman was familiar? The only women we've been introduced to so far are Claire and the nameless housekeeper :hmm: :hmm: a younger version of her?
I definitely didn't expect a death so soon, but I'm loving it :lol: I mean... poor dead guy, but it's good for the reader.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jakemalizia wrote: August 26th, 2021, 9:23 amI'm not sure what your hunch is, as to why the woman was familiar? The only women we've been introduced to so far are Claire and the nameless housekeeper :hmm: :hmm: a younger version of her?
yes the housekeeper herself. Look at how both are portrayed: the dark face was mentioned both times. Anstruther doesn't talk to the housekeeper but her eyes follow his slightest moves of the hand. Imagine the same woman, once mousy-dressed and sulking, once flashy dressed, hair down and radiant. It could be the same but looking completely different. That's my hunch anyway.

And it's not the death as such that is startling, but hey NOSTALGO himself ?!! Before he even got a speaking role ? :shock:

Thanks for the quick PL :) And I'm happy you love it.

Managed to read the next chapter this afternoon. 4 new people get introduced, I am expanding my repertoire of voices :mrgreen:

Won't finish editing tonight, but surely tomorrow 8-)

have a nice evening still, maybe you're editing your music-solo as well.

Sonia