COMPLETE - Sugar Plums by Ella Farman Pratt - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hey, DOLZ!

I know I promised to PL earlier than that, but the internet and electricity weren't stable.

Section 3 and 5 are PL OKAY. :clap:

I loved your singing voice in section 3. It is a sad story, but you narrated it beautifully.

Section 4 isn't, Its volume is 83.1 dB Could you please do Compressor, then Replay Gain, and Noise Reduction?

I also have 2 PL notes:

Image/Page 37 @02:23 - Home he comes. I hear He comes home.
Image/Page 38 @02:56 - These red cheeks. I hear those red cheeks.
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
DOLZ

Post by DOLZ »

SaraHale wrote: September 25th, 2021, 2:31 am Hey, DOLZ!

I know I promised to PL earlier than that, but the internet and electricity weren't stable.

I loved your singing voice in section 3. It is a sad story, but you narrated it beautifully.

Section 4 isn't, Its volume is 83.1 dB Could you please do Compressor, then Replay Gain, and Noise Reduction?

I also have 2 PL notes:

Good catches. I'm on it. Thank you :D
I bravely venture down those roads less traveled but not without applying sunblock first :wink:
DOLZ

Post by DOLZ »

I also have 2 PL notes:

I tried reading the song like a poem but it just wasn't doing the story justice. I'm glad you liked how it all turned out. And yes, a very sad story, indeed. :(
I bravely venture down those roads less traveled but not without applying sunblock first :wink:
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

DOLZ wrote: September 26th, 2021, 6:55 am Good catches. I'm on it. Thank you :D
You're most welcome! :9:
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

DOLZ wrote: September 26th, 2021, 6:58 am I tried reading the song like a poem but it just wasn't doing the story justice. I'm glad you liked how it all turned out. And yes, a very sad story, indeed. :(
Oh, no. You did an AWESOME job with the narration. I hope there would be another poem in the book, but more joyful this time. :9:
DOLZ

Post by DOLZ »

Section 06 "Little Miss Rattle-te-Bang is ready for PL. Passed Checker. I applied both Noise Reduction and ReplayGain effects but whenever I tried to apply compressor, it caused the volume to fall out of range. I hope it is okay without it.

I had to move on from Section 04. I became so displeased with the editing that I'm electing to just re-record it. I will circle back around to that one next.

Thank you.
:D
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Compressor shrinks the peaks. If you don't click the "make up to 0 dB" box (or whatever it's called), it will be quieter than when you started. Step 2 is to amplify. :)

That "make up to 0 dB" box amplifies the compressed audio as high as it can go. Sometimes this makes the recording too loud, so we don't recommend having it checked.

Generally I compress (with that box unchecked), then analyze it using ReplayGain and see how much it tells me to amplify, then amplify.

Hope this helps explain. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
DOLZ

Post by DOLZ »

TriciaG wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 1:52 pm Compressor shrinks the peaks. If you don't click the "make up to 0 dB" box (or whatever it's called), it will be quieter than when you started. Step 2 is to amplify. :)

That "make up to 0 dB" box amplifies the compressed audio as high as it can go. Sometimes this makes the recording too loud, so we don't recommend having it checked.

Generally I compress (with that box unchecked), then analyze it using ReplayGain and see how much it tells me to amplify, then amplify.

Hope this helps explain. :)
Yes, it does. I see the box and yes, it appears 'Make-up gain for 0 db after compressing' is checked by default. I will experiment with it and see what it sounds like and looks like on the bar. I'll circle back around to 'amplify' once I've got compressor down solid. Thanks again.
DOLZ

Post by DOLZ »

A 'spoiler alert' for Miss Rattle-te-Bang :wink: . By today's standard, social services would definitely be front-and-center with all the issues this family has :lol:
DOLZ

Post by DOLZ »

I also have 2 PL notes:

Hello. Section 04 "Learning to Count" is completely re-recorded and ready for PL. So sorry I struggled with this one. It passed Checker and I used Noise Reduction, ReplayGain, and compressor (in spots) effects.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/sugarplums_04_pratt_128kb.mp3

SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hi, there!

Sections 4 and 6 are PL Okay. :clap: :clap: You did an AWESOME job. I'm looking forward to the future sections. :9:
DOLZ

Post by DOLZ »

SaraHale wrote: November 7th, 2021, 9:15 am Hi, there!

Sections 4 and 6 are PL Okay. :clap: :clap: You did an AWESOME job. I'm looking forward to the future sections. :9:
Thank you so much 😁. Just getting back on the horse today.
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

DOLZ wrote: November 7th, 2021, 9:42 am Thank you so much 😁. Just getting back on the horse today.
My pleasure! That's amazing. I'm so sorry for not being active. I had and still have a lot of my plate but I'll make sure to check-in during my weekends.
DOLZ

Post by DOLZ »

SaraHale wrote: November 7th, 2021, 9:47 am
DOLZ wrote: November 7th, 2021, 9:42 am Thank you so much 😁. Just getting back on the horse today.
My pleasure! That's amazing. I'm so sorry for not being active. I had and still have a lot of my plate but I'll make sure to check-in during my weekends.
No worries. This project is not a request from anyone, it's just something I stumbled upon as having a catalog page but no recordings. I took up the task of making the project whole by recording, at least one of her books.
DOLZ

Post by DOLZ »

Section 07 'In the Haymow' ready for PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/sugarplums_07_pratt_128kb.mp3

No worries, no hurries 😁