COMPLETE: Bread by Charles G Norris -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
WildShimmeringPath

Post by WildShimmeringPath »

Bread, by Charles G Norris (1881 - 1945)

This project is now complete.  All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/bread-by-charles-g-norris/

Bread by Charles G. Norris reads like a working class Great Gatsby with a tragic female main character. The author is said to have influenced F. Scott Fitzgerald. There is a kind of cadence to the writing, and arc to the story where this can be felt in both similarity and contrast. It follows the life of a woman from young adulthood to middle age between the years of 1905 to 1922 in New York City. She is a stenographer, has chosen the then taboo path of a “wage earner” as opposed to that of mother/wife/homemaker. The descriptions of the inner workings of a publishing house in a time when the printed word was still the apex of information technology are vivid. The social and domestic situations are touching and emotionally telling of how, however much things change, they also stay the same. The metaphor of “Bread” is quaintly heavy handed. “Dedicated to the working women of America”, Norris gives us the “straight dope” in this depiction of life in New York City in the early 20th century.
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/65944

Target completion date: 2021-10-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: General Fiction/Published 1900 onward

Keywords that describe the book: literature, social justice, radical, proletarian interest, womens interest, business and finance

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Bread. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Bread, by Charles G Norris. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Bread, by Charles G Norris. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Bread, by Charles G Norris."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: bread_##_norris_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. bread_01_norris_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by WildShimmeringPath on January 1st, 2022, 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
WildShimmeringPath

This would be my first solo project and I'm not sure if I posted this right. Or if I'm safe in my assumption that I would be the one signed up to read this if I am the one posting it? Is that right? Hope so. :mrgreen:
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Yes, you've posted the solo template so you are good here. I'll set this up for you. Your MW will be up shortly.

Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator(BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the  "Magic Window" in the top post.  Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler. 

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

If you have any questions, let me know.  I'll leave this thread here in the Launch Pad for a day or so longer before I move it to the Going Solo forum, to see if a DPL (Dedicated Prooflistener) volunteers.  Looking forward to working with you.
Jo
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

May I be the proof listener? Thanks!
WildShimmeringPath

Jo, Thanks for the helpful links and MCing this project. Look at me all inside the magic window! I will post some links soon. Let me know anything. I am looking forward to working with you too.

Rapunzelina, I would be honored if you would be the proof listener. :D
WildShimmeringPath

Hi, so I'm starting recording and see the chapters are broken down into sections. Should each section be a separate recording? That would mean more sections in the magic window. Book 1 chapter 1 section 1. 7 sections in chapter 1. They are short and flow together so I'm not sure they need to be further divided. :hmm:
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

It's up to you, but the word counts for the first few chapters are all over 7000 words, so these will be 45-55 min recordings at an average reading speed of 150 wpm. Depending on your reading speed and how quickly you get tired when reading aloud, you might want to split them into at least two sections. Since these have built in break points, it would be easy to do. The maximum length of a recording should be <74 min to fit on a burned CD, but most listeners typically prefer 10-40 min per section.

As for the MW, you can add sections using the Add New Section button at the top of the table. The sections will be added to the bottom of the table, but you can click and drag them to wherever they belong. If you do decide to do this, you should change the titles to Chapter #, Part # (or Chapter #, Sections #-#) both in the MW and in the intros.
Jo
WildShimmeringPath

Hi Jo! Here is Book1 Chapter1 Sections1-4. Phew I got into it and you were so right about dividing it into more manageable sections. I have posted it in the MW, let me know if it looks right. Should I post it here too? Hoping to fall into a rhythm with this soon.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/bread_01_01_01_04_norris_128kbs.mp3

24:7
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

For a solo, it isn't necessary to post the link in the thread. Just a post to let your DPL know there is a new file in the MW ready for PL is fine. :)
Jo
WildShimmeringPath

Hi Rapunzelina! I have posted two sections. Let me know....dearie..
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Section 1 is PL OK.

For section 2, there's some text missing, if you'd like to add it. It's around 8:42 "Instantly there was a scurry, a jerking open of bureau drawers, a general diving into crowded closets."

For the filenames, the 2-digit number would be the number of the section in the magic window. So the first file would be bread_01_norris_128kb.mp3, the second bread_02_norris_128kb.mp3, etc. You can fix the filename of the second file when you add the text and re-upload. For the first file, we'll make a note of it in the magic window and Jo may fix it at cataloguing, if not sooner.

When you enter a file in the magic window, you can also set its status to "Ready for PL" or "Ready for spot PL" from the last column. This will also add the section to my DPL list, just in case I miss your post in the thread.

That's it, dearie :mrgreen: A very good start to the project!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi WildShimmeringPath! Have you reloaded both sections?
WildShimmeringPath

Yep. This is ok?
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Yes, just so I know what to check :thumbs: I will let you know soon ish :mrgreen:
WildShimmeringPath

Hi Rapunzelina! Sorry, It did not occur to me at the time you would have to check it again since it was the same file with a new name but yes, mistakes could have been made. Thanks for listening!! Also, I just posted sections 3 and 4. Also, there is racism..Did I choose a wrong book :shock: I mean I can't be the first person to talk about this but these old works and the racist tones..I guess it's a marker of history and the time the story is from? but yeesh...its cringe inducing to read and wonder if I'm pronouncing a racial slur correctly. Hoping it doesn't get much worse. I still like this story otherwise... She got the job! but can she do the job??