[COMPLETE Oriental Gardening by W. Chambers - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Dissertation on Oriental Gardening, by Sir William Chambers (1723 - 1796)

This project is now complete. All files can be found on the catalogue page:
https://librivox.org/dissertation-on-oriental-gardening/

A little essay on the Chinese style of gardening, as opposed to the continental style, which the author finds too formal with too many straight lines, and the English style, about which he is equally disparaging. In his preface, he says that his dissertation is upon "... the Chinese manner of gardening, which is collected from my own observations in China, from conversations with their Artists, and remarks transmitted to me at different times by travellers."

"... Their gardeners are not only Botanists, but also Painters and Philosofers... The Chinese Gardeners take nature for their pattern; and their aim is to imitate all her beautiful irregularities." and "... if all land-holders were men of taste, the world might be formed into one continued Garden ..."

I hope that at least some of the wonderful constructions of the Chinese artist/gardeners still exist; bridges, cascades, and stony grottos, hidden temples and views through rainbowed waterfalls ...

NOTES:
1 The author transliterated many Chinese words into English, but I have not been able to determine their correct pronunciation, and I apologise for mangling their sound, intonation, and meaning.
2 The author uses the word "awful" in its original sense of evoking awe, rather than the modern sense of unpleasant.

(Summary by Peter Yearsley)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/dissertationonor00cham/page/n7/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2021-12-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/House & Home/Gardening and Non-fiction/Art, Design & Architecture
Keywords that describe the book: (to be added)
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of Dissertation on Oriental Gardening. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by Peter Yearsley."] "Dissertation on Oriental Gardening, by Sir William Chambers. Section #."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of Dissertation on Oriental Gardening, by Sir William Chambers. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by Peter Yearsley."] "Section #."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Dissertation on Oriental Gardening, by Sir William Chambers."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: orientalgardening_##_chambers_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. orientalgardening_01_chambers_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Availle

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Peter Why on September 9th, 2021, 2:17 pm, edited 14 times in total.
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Now that sounds interesting. I'll MC this for you! :thumbs:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Ava; despite the long S's, the language is surprisingly easy to read.

Peter
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

All set except for the author who is not yet in the database but will be in a few minutes.

I have shortened the filename and changed the genres a bit to Non-fiction/House & Home/Gardening and Non-fiction/Art, Design & Architecture.
Hope that 's okay with you.

Happy gardening! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

The genre keywords are fine; I was wondering how to do that.

Why's "[CHINA]" in the heading, though? It doesn't bother me; I'm just curious.

Peter
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Oh, we do that now to give more info about the project than [SOLO] could provide. Might even be easier to attract a DPL this way. :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

That's fine; I'll get to work on a summary as well. In the past, I've often wondered how most readings can attract a DPL without a summary to give some colour to the title .... and now, here I am doing the same.

Peter
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I think in a solo it's not that important - there's always the book and the toc. And many DPLs have their favourite readers too.

It does happen in group projects though, where the summary is empty or half a line and the section titles say "chapter 1, 2, 3..."
But even those get finished. :thumbs:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Section 1 uploaded.

Peter
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

I'm quite a Sinophile, so I would be happy to DPL for this!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, I'm grateful for your offer.

Ava, could you set jakemalizia up as DPL, please?

Peter
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Jake is in, and we're off to "Going Solo". Enjoy!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Ava. I've almost finished section 2 .... too.

Peter
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Both Section 1 and 2 are PL OK! :clap:
Just making a note for myself here that you finished Section 2 on page 37.

There was one little blip I wasn't sure about - at around 15:02 of Section 2, you began to say "irregular" and then you corrected yourself to say "regular". As this is only standard PL, am I right in assuming it's okay to let those minor blips pass? Seeing as you quickly corrected yourself, it's not as if the intended meaning was lost.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

That's a stumble that should be corrected, even under "standard PL". Please do mention these things in the future. :)
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com