[COMPLETE] Dogmatic Theology - Soteriology, by William G.T. Shedd - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Dogmatic Theology - Soteriology, by William G.T. Shedd (1820 - 1894)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/dogmatic-theology-soteriology-by-william-g-t-shedd/
A systematic exposition of the doctrine of salvation from one of America's most notable theologians of the 19th century. (Summary by InTheDesert)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/dogmatictheology02sheduoft/page/353/mode/1up

Target completion date: 2021-08-12

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Dogmatic Theology - Soteriology. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Dogmatic Theology - Soteriology, by William G.T. Shedd. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Dogmatic Theology - Soteriology, by William G.T. Shedd. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Dogmatic Theology - Soteriology, by William G.T. Shedd."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: dtsoteriology_##_shedd_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. dtsoteriology_01_shedd_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
American Trials Vol. 3 95% 5 left!
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 93% 2 left!
Devotional Commentary: Apocalypse 85%
Emotions
PL pls: DPL DPL 43 27-28
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Pre-recorded but not all edited so it will take a week or so to upload everything.

Edit: I should have mentioned - I have chosen to read some footnotes and not others. I have also treated everything in parentheseslike footnotes - some I have I have chosen to read, some I have skipped. If it's in the body of the text and outside parentheses, in whichever of the ridiculous number of languages he chooses to refer to or however complex the citation, I have read it.
Emotions
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is set up. :)

The parentheses you omitted: are those references and the like? I'm a little leery of leaving anything out of the main text, unless it's bibliographical references.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

TriciaG wrote: July 30th, 2021, 9:00 am This is set up. :)

The parentheses you omitted: are those references and the like? I'm a little leery of leaving anything out of the main text, unless it's bibliographical references.
Thanks!

It's basically references and foreign language terms which he felt he could put in brackets because the main text makes the point he wants to.
An example can be found on this page: https://archive.org/details/dogmatictheology02sheduoft/page/380/mode/1up
For example, I read (after the paragraph break):
Magee ... quotes the following : Xenophon ... relates that the Thracian prince Seuthes asked Episthenes
But because it was in the body text, I read this (a few sentences down) in all its tediousness:
The same use of vTrep is seen in Xenophon s Ilellenica, and De Venatione ; also in Plato s Symposium, 180 and 207; also in the Alcestis of Euripides, 446, 540, 732, compared with 155, 156, 698, 706, 715-717.
Same with the references and German at the bottom of the page.
Essentially, I assumed that since he sometimes gives references outside parentheses and sometimes inside, he is differentiating between how core he thinks it is to his text and using it like footnotes (his actual footnotes he devotes to discussion so I chose to read most of them).
Let me know what you think.
Emotions
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I think that's OK. The citations in parentheses, I think can be left out.

You read the Greek in parentheses at the top of the page? We admins just had a discussion about including the foreign language in the main text, such as the Greek at the top of page 380 that you linked to. The consensus was that it should be included.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

TriciaG wrote: July 30th, 2021, 11:09 am I think that's OK. The citations in parentheses, I think can be left out.

You read the Greek in parentheses at the top of the page? We admins just had a discussion about including the foreign language in the main text, such as the Greek at the top of page 380 that you linked to. The consensus was that it should be included.
I read the Greek outside parentheses but generally not inside. I can go back through and change that (will take me a while though). I think I might know what triggered the foreign language text discussion and I think the initial question might have been about text outside parentheses. Can I ask:
1. Would it be different if the foreign text were in footnotes?
2. Does it make a difference when it's a linguistic discussion vs when it's not? (eg: the case could be made on p.380 that the bracketed foreign text is essential because his point is about the use of prepositions)

The reason I even ask is that I feel for the person who only understands English and who has not just clearly marked foreign phrases but English sentences broken up multiple times with incomprehensible Greek such that it's hard to follow the flow of the English example.
Emotions
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

I've gone through the first section and added in any foreign words in brackets. Will probably take me a while to do it so I guess by the end of August we should be all done.
Emotions
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I read the Greek outside parentheses but generally not inside. I can go back through and change that (will take me a while though). I think I might know what triggered the foreign language text discussion and I think the initial question might have been about text outside parentheses. Can I ask:
1. Would it be different if the foreign text were in footnotes?
2. Does it make a difference when it's a linguistic discussion vs when it's not? (eg: the case could be made on p.380 that the bracketed foreign text is essential because his point is about the use of prepositions)
1. Yes - footnotes are very clearly not part of the main text body and can be omitted at the BC/soloist's discretion.
2. I don't know. The general rule is if the author considered it important enough to include in the main text body, it should be read. We make a kind of exception for citations. I'm not sure how often this comes up, so we probably don't have all the "what ifs" worked out. ;)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving to Going Solo.
justjennifer

Post by justjennifer »

I can DPL if you still need someone.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Assuming that's a "yes" from ITD, I've added you in. Thanks!
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

There's someone who isn't scared away by dense title! Thanks Jennifer.

I'm currently working on a book by Herman Witsius entitled Conciliatory or Irenical Animadversions on the Controversies Agitated in Britain under the Unhappy Names of Antinomians and Neonomians which will be the true test of PLers being scared off by the title.
Emotions
justjennifer

Post by justjennifer »

Section 1 PL note:
13:22 - repeated phrase "and my words which I have put in thy mouth"
justjennifer

Post by justjennifer »

Section 2 PL notes:
25:40 - repeated phrase "by [Greek], to release"
30:31 - sentence beg. at this mark is missing the phrase "upon the party to whom it is made"

Well done on repeated seamless transitions across languages, sometimes three in one sentence... :shock: :D
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

justjennifer wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 2:56 pm Section 2 PL notes:
25:40 - repeated phrase "by [Greek], to release"
30:31 - sentence beg. at this mark is missing the phrase "upon the party to whom it is made"

Well done on repeated seamless transitions across languages, sometimes three in one sentence... :shock: :D
Thanks Jennifer! Do I conclude from the second note that you're reading along with the text? (which you obviously don't have to do). If you are, would it be ok, if I edit the recorded files as is and you tell me timestamps where I've skipped foreign phrases in brackets (see earlier in this thread). I've found it a very slow process to try to find where the missing things are and this would be by far the quickest, provided you're reading along anyway. If not (no problem at all), I'll keep on doing what I'm doing - it's just a slower process!
Emotions