[COMPLETE] The Art of Music Vol.1 by The National Society of Music - kaz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

The Art of Music Vol.1: The Pre-Classic Periods, by The National Society of Music

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-art-of-music-volume-01-by-national-society-of-music//
Volume 1 in "The Art of Music" series, published by the National Society of Music. This first volume covers the "Pre-Classic periods", from early human primitive music, through to the music of the Ancient Greeks and other ancient cultures, plainsong, Middle Ages, Renaissance, and up until the music of J.S. Bach. Included are musical examples, which are performed in the audio as they appear in the text.

(Summary by Jake Malizia)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/65658/

Target completion date: 2021-10-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Art of Music Vol.1: The Pre-Classic Periods. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Art of Music Vol.1: The Pre-Classic Periods, by Daniel Gregory Mason. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Art of Music Vol.1: The Pre-Classic Periods, by Daniel Gregory Mason. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Art of Music Vol.1: The Pre-Classic Periods, by Daniel Gregory Mason."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: artofmusicvol1_##_mason_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. artofmusicvol1_01_mason_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kazbek

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by jakemalizia on October 23rd, 2021, 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

As a musician, I thought I would delve into a solo project such as this! Volume 2 has just been released on Gutenberg as well, so maybe I will eventually get around to doing that one as well. Just for information - in the Gutenberg text, there's many musical examples . They're presented as scores, as well as computer generated audio links provided ... if these are public domain as well, I can maybe insert them into the audio files as they are referred to in the text. Or if I can't use them, I can play the music myself.

By the way, there are two separate introductions. So should it be 17 sections - 2 introductions and 15 chapters?

Thanks, J
Last edited by jakemalizia on July 20th, 2021, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Hi Jake,

This is an exciting and brave undertaking! Before you start, I just want to make sure you've read the notices in red at the top of the template. We verify that the sources we use are in the public domain in the US, where our servers are located, and we leave it to our contributors to verify their personal compliance with the copyright laws of the country where they are located. Please confirm your intention to proceed with this project.

Michael
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Kazbek wrote: July 20th, 2021, 3:17 pm Hi Jake,

This is an exciting and brave undertaking! Before you start, I just want to make sure you've read the notices in red at the top of the template. We verify that the sources we use are in the public domain in the US, where our servers are located, and we leave it to our contributors to verify their personal compliance with the copyright laws of the country where they are located. Please confirm your intention to proceed with this project.

Michael
Hi Michael, thanks for the reply. I'm good to proceed!
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Ok, thanks. I'll be glad to set this up for you. Be right back with the Magic Window.

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Ok, the MW is up. As soloist, you will also be the BC (book coordinator) for your project, and will be in charge of filling out the Magic Window. Before you can access a Magic Window for the first time, you will need to set up a password for logging into the workflow system, as described here:

How to log in to the workflow system for the first time

Other instructions for managing the Magic Window can be found on this wiki page:

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

In a solo project, you don't have to worry about the things that BCs do in group projects for other readers. You just need to do the following:

1) Fill out the Title column, which will be used in the catalog (hit Enter to save).
2) Put file durations (mm:ss) into the Notes column (click Save to save).
3) Copy file URLs from the uploader and paste them into the Listen URL column (hit Enter to save).
4) Update the status to "ready for PL" and "ready for spot PL", as appropriate.

Some other remarks:

1) Library sources I checked list Daniel Gregory Mason as the only author, and that's how I entered the project in the database. I also changed the filename to use his name.
2) The first volume is over 600 pages in print, which means you'll probably need more than 17 sections. Our files can be at most 72 minutes long. You can decide how to divide the text into sections as you go along and add more sections later.
3) In the intros you can say "by Daniel Gregory Mason", which is acceptable if imprecise. You could also say "Editor-in-Chief, Daniel Gregory Mason" or "by various authors" instead, if you prefer.
4) You'll need to decide how to construct the enumeration in the intros/outros to account for chapters that are split into multiple sections. A common approach for cases like this is to say "Section #" at the very start and at the end, and say "Chapter #, part #" after the intro.
5) We like to credit individual contributors in multi-author works in the intros and in the MW, but the editors went out of their way to present this as a collective work without attributing individual chapters, so we'll have to follow their lead.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll leave this thread here on the Launch Pad for a couple of days before moving it to the Going Solo forum, to see if a DPL (Dedicated Proof-listener) volunteers. I look forward to working with you!

Michael
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Thanks Michael, I will get on this now.

Just a general query - under the transcriber's notes, it mentions the musical examples: "The musical files for the musical examples discussed in the book have been provided by Jude Eylander." - would they still be public domain, and therefore possible for me to use them in my audios? And if so, should I credit Jude Eylander for providing the musical samples at some point?

Cheers
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Sorry, but when I click Login (for BCs and MCs) it just says this:

"You don't have permissions for this area.

Return to LibriVox Management Tool Homepage

Logout"

I must not have the right permission to set up an account
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

That's odd. You should have access. At what step of the instructions do you get this message?

Michael
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Kazbek wrote: July 21st, 2021, 6:17 am That's odd. You should have access. At what step of the instructions do you get this message?

Michael
When the page loaded after clicking "Login for BCs and MCs"
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

So, in step 3? Are you leaving the password field blank and clicking the link "forgot password"?

Michael
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Kazbek wrote: July 21st, 2021, 6:29 am So, in step 3? Are you leaving the password field blank and clicking the link "forgot password"?

Michael
Step 2 - it doesn't actually get me to the stage where I can enter my username or password. I'll show you

Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Hmm, if it's not even prompting you for a username, it may be trying to use your forum credentials behind the scenes. Can you try again after logging out of your forum account?

Michael
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Kazbek wrote: July 21st, 2021, 6:47 am Hmm, if it's not even prompting you for a username, it may be trying to use your forum credentials behind the scenes. Can you try again after logging out of your forum account?

Michael
Youre right! That worked, thank you. It must've been autofilling the credentials for me, before even showing the login screen.
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

Hello.
I would love to DPL for this project. As my name implies, I am a great music lover :D I will be dedicated!