COMPLETE The Evacuation of England: The Twist in the Jet Stream by L.P.Gratacap - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

JUDIMASON wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 3:29 pm Hi April: Just uploaded Part 1 of Chapt 1.
I hope I uploaded the correct (edited) version.
I am disappointed in the writing. Please let me know if you think it is tedious.
J
Good morning to you Judi,
I did just pl the section you have posted. Here are my thoughts and edits.
I wonder if you use spot checker at the end of your recording, before posting in mp3 form. I do use it when I pl a section.
It did show that your volume is at 85.4 with background sounds at 39.6
Please do increase your amplification by 1.5 and that should get it closer to the suggested 86-92 level.
I did not hear any background sound though I did notice that your audio line was not consistent with a flat line when no words were being spoken so that could attribute to the higher number. 24.2 is the number preferred. One more round of noise reduction should help with lowering those numbers. :mrgreen:

I have only 1 word edit though, great on your part!!
- Please record and insert at 21.0 seconds the rest of the title with the author name.
"The Twist in the Gulf Stream, by Louis Pope Gratacap"

Tedious you mentioned. Not so much to me, historical sections aren't typically more than that. It is what I expected though I am hoping that the 2nd part of chapter one will be more riveting. :clap:
April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Judi,
I just had the thought that there is one more item I would like for you to fix, the file name. It should be 01, not just 1. Seems like since there are a small numbers of chapters, possibly I am incorrect? I think that Ann should be the "answer", so please do not change it until she replies. Oh darn, possibly I am incorrect in the author's name being as you have said it as that is his name with this book. Ann can verify just how the name should be recorded, (thank you Ann!!) so why don't you allow for her to comment and then do as she suggests?
Thank you,
April
JUDIMASON

Post by JUDIMASON »

Thank you. I amplified it a bit and changed the filename so it has passed the checker now. I also added the subtitle in the very beginning. I have re-uploaded it.
J
Judi Mason
JUDIMASON

Post by JUDIMASON »

Do you want me to use the subtitle (The Twist . . .) each time? Or is it Ok to just have it in the first bit?
Judi Mason
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Here are my suggestions. They are only suggestions, which can be used or not. In solo projects, we have a little bit more leeway for how the reader wants to set them up. I am just here as a guide on the journey.

OK, the file names do need to have the leading 0, so 01, 02, etc. is correct because we have more than 9 sections. But, if the only thing to fix is the number in the file name, it can be left as is. When I catalog projects, I automatically "fix" the file names, whether they need it or not. I just push a button and the workflow system takes care of the rest. When I PL, I will only ask the reader to fix the file names if they need to do other edits to their recordings. It is just one less thing for people to worry about because it is so easy for me to fix later.

For the title, since you have the full title in the first section, you could shorten it down to just "The Evacuation of England" for the rest of the book. I don't have a problem with that. Although, I do think "The Twist in the Jet Stream" sounds cool, but that is just my opinion.

The author's name is fine as "L.P." instead of his full name since the cover has him as L.P.

I think I covered everything, if I missed something, let me know! :D
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
JUDIMASON

Post by JUDIMASON »

Chapt 1, Pt 2 is uploaded. It is definitely not riveting.
I hope I got all the details as they should be.
J
Judi Mason
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

icequeen wrote: July 24th, 2021, 8:25 pm Here are my suggestions. They are only suggestions, which can be used or not. In solo projects, we have a little bit more leeway for how the reader wants to set them up. I am just here as a guide on the journey.

OK, the file names do need to have the leading 0, so 01, 02, etc. is correct because we have more than 9 sections. But, if the only thing to fix is the number in the file name, it can be left as is. When I catalog projects, I automatically "fix" the file names, whether they need it or not. I just push a button and the workflow system takes care of the rest. When I PL, I will only ask the reader to fix the file names if they need to do other edits to their recordings. It is just one less thing for people to worry about because it is so easy for me to fix later.

For the title, since you have the full title in the first section, you could shorten it down to just "The Evacuation of England" for the rest of the book. I don't have a problem with that. Although, I do think "The Twist in the Jet Stream" sounds cool, but that is just my opinion.

The author's name is fine as "L.P." instead of his full name since the cover has him as L.P.

I think I covered everything, if I missed something, let me know! :D
Thank you Ann!!
April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

JUDIMASON wrote: July 24th, 2021, 9:05 pm Chapt 1, Pt 2 is uploaded. It is definitely not riveting.
I hope I got all the details as they should be.
J
Chapt 1, pt 1
Wonderful correction from you in the title number and the inserting the end of the actual title, thank you.
Ann did put forth wonderful words for us to follow.

Unfortunately now the background noise level is higher. It went from 39.6 to 47.1.
Please do a few more rounds of noise cleanings.

Chapt 1, part 2 is pl okay with the background noise showing at 24.2, perfect.

Volume for both is excellent. Thank you again,
April
JUDIMASON

Post by JUDIMASON »

Redid Ch1 Pt1 with noise reduction.
J
Judi Mason
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

JUDIMASON wrote: July 26th, 2021, 11:38 am Redid Ch1 Pt1 with noise reduction.
J
Spectacular!! Now showing the background sound @ 30.2. Much better than the 47.1 that it was. The optimum number is 24.2, as was your 2nd section, so if you would be willing to do one more noise reduction it may attain those numbers. :mrgreen:
I am leaving town for a mini vacation 7/27/2021 and will continue my dpl ing when I return.
April
April
JUDIMASON

Post by JUDIMASON »

Uploaded again with noise reduction. Ch 1, Pt 1. Can you tell me how to check the noise levels so I don't keep putting you through this?
Judi Mason
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

A handy tool to have is Checker. I always check my recordings before I upload them, and it is quick and easy! Just download it and you are good to go!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
JUDIMASON

Post by JUDIMASON »

Yes, I have Checker, but it is Ver 0.96 and does not indicate anything about background noise. Is there a more recent version and if so, where do I find it?
Judi Mason
JUDIMASON

Post by JUDIMASON »

Never mind.....I found the latest version of Checker and set it to analyze background noise. 8-)
Judi Mason
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

JUDIMASON wrote: July 27th, 2021, 4:44 pm Never mind.....I found the latest version of Checker and set it to analyze background noise. 8-)

Perfect! :D
Ann

Audio, video, disco!