COMPLETE Heather and Snow by George MacDonald-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Heather and Snow, by George MacDonald (1824 - 1905)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/heather-and-snow-by-george-macdonald/
Set in the barren lowlands of Scotland with a small cast of characters, both lives and landscape are vividly portrayed and masterfully intertwined. Through the years, a retired soldier and his daughter do their best to care for a weak-minded, large-souled boy and a headstrong, wayward young landlord.

Though one of MacDonald's somewhat gothic-style novels, even the darker portions are shot through with gleams of hope and love for "The Bonny Man" [Jesus]. (Summary by HannahMary)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/9155

Target completion date: 2022-09-00

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Religious Fiction/Christian Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: scotland, growing up, duty, mental disability, tough love

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Chapter # of Heather and Snow. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." "Heather and Snow, by George MacDonald. Chapter Number/Title."
For the second and subsequent sections:
"Chapter # of Heather and Snow, by George MacDonald. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Chapter Number/Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of Chapter #." ["Read by your name."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Heather and Snow, by George MacDonald."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: heatherandsnow_##_macdonald_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. heatherandsnow_01_macdonald_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: mightyfelix

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by HannahMary on February 15th, 2024, 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~ Hannah
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him" - Romans 15:13
Blog: Come Be Still
IG: @storytime.with.hannahmary
Readers needed for:
A Rough Shaking by George MacDonald
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

I have been in touch about this project with mightyfelix, who is interested in being MC and DPL.
~ Hannah
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him" - Romans 15:13
Readers needed for:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yay! I've been rereading this one myself, but got bogged down around chapter 20. :roll: It will be lovely reading through it with you! :D

Everything should be set. Once I get confirmation that it is all ready, I'll take us to Going Solo.
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Thanks so much, Devorah! I recently finished my first read-through of this book, though I have been through the abridged Phillips version more than once in years past.

I won't bother with words counts for myself in this project. So I think I am ready with the MW.

And chapter 1 is ready for PL!
~ Hannah
Readers needed for:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Perfect. We are in Going Solo!

Is this the same file as the one you shared with me through PM? If so, I can go ahead and mark it PL ok now!
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Yes, this is the same file. I just deleted one "by George MacDonald" from the intro per the first post since you heard it. So the duration is the new length when I ran it through Checker just before uploading.
~ Hannah
Readers needed for:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, chapter 1 is PL ok! :thumbs:
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Thanks!

Chapter 2 is ready for PL, and I have a couple more chapters recorded that I will edit as soon as able.
~ Hannah
Readers needed for:
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

And chapter 3 is ready for PL. I noticed I'll have to adjust my recording position slightly next session to avoid the occasional plosives. Even though my pop-filter was in place, I caught a few "p's". Hope I got them gentle enough not to bother in here? Let me know if there are any that need more work.
~ Hannah
Readers needed for:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ch. 2:

You may want to add a smidge more silence at the very beginning. You have a little under a half-second there now.
At about 2:11, I hear a slight difference. Text reads "there were very few of his acquaintance whose company Francis would not have chosen rather than his mother's..." I hear "there were very few of his acquaintance whose accompany Francis would not have chosen rather than his mother's..." It's just a small change, and doesn't really change anything. I almost missed it, in fact. So you could probably get away with leaving it if you choose. Your call.

Chapter 3 is PL ok! I love the beginning of this chapter. Just the peace of it, and the feeling that all is right with the world. :9:
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

I'm glad you caught my "brain blip"! I would like to update that in my next recording session. For now, chapter 4 (which I had previously recorded) is ready for PL.
~ Hannah
Readers needed for:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

4 is PL ok!
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Chapter 2 is ready for spot PL at the same duration as before due to deleting a half second in the middle and adding that much at the beginning!
~ Hannah
Readers needed for:
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Section 5 is ready for PL.
~ Hannah
Readers needed for:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

2 and 5 are both PL ok!

Thanks for being patient with my PLs. Last weekend, I was focused on recording for A Dish of Orts, and I'm realizing that it's gotten much harder for me to do much during the week. :?