[COMPLETE]The Blue Review Vol 1 No 2 by Various-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Th Blue Review, Volume 1 Number 2, by Various, translated by Philip Benson

This project is now complete. All files can be downloaded from the catalog page here:https://librivox.org/th-blue-review-number-2-by-various/[/color]
The Blue Review was a short lived monthly journal published in London between May and July 1913. The successor to Rhythm, The Blue Review was edited by John Middleton Murry and Katherine Mansfield, but survived only three issues. In addition to poetry and short literary pieces, the review included reviews of theatre, music and the arts and of books recently published in English and French. The second issue of the journal included two short stories by Katherine Mansfield. (Summary by Phil Benson)

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://modjourn.org/issue/bdr452191/

Target completion date: 2021-07-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: KuV9R5UE
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 16
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1913
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project: Literary Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Th Blue Review, Volume 1 Number 2. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Th Blue Review, Volume 1 Number 2, by Various, translated by Philip Benson. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Th Blue Review, Volume 1 Number 2, by Various, translated by Philip Benson. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Th Blue Review, Volume 1 Number 2, by Various, translated by Philip Benson."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: bluereviewvolume1number2_##_various_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. bluereviewvolume1number2_01_various_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: annise

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by eggs4ears on July 8th, 2021, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Annise will MC, Newgatenovelist DPL. Ready to go with a few poems!
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Checking in!
Off LV 25-28 March.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

busy day - made the MW, do check file name etc if you get here before I return

Amme
Newgatenovelist

Section 1 is PL OK. Notes for sections 2 and 4 are below. With section 3, could you please try to upload it again? I'm getting an error message when I try to download it. The link looks fine, but it's saying the file isn't there.

Section 2

0.25-0.28, p 78 first stanza
All pale [heard plain], and worn, and deadly thin,

1.17-1.18, penultimate line
All [heard And] silently...

Section 4

1.33, p 82 main para, omission
Funny! [she couldn’t think of Mr. Williamson being dead! He was such a one for a joke. Always having a lark. Willie Cox said they found him in the barn, shot bang through the head, and the young English “johnny” who’d been on the station learning farming – disappeared. Funny!] she wouldn’t think...

5.09, top third p 84, omission
...listen, too. [The clock-] the ashes – and the venetian...

6.57, bottom p 84, omission
“Wait a minute,” [she stammered, “wait a minute,”] and she ran…
Off LV 25-28 March.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks, Erin! Part 3 should be okay now - it was a typo in the filename.
Newgatenovelist

Aaaaaaaand notes for section 3:

1.14-1.17, p 79 mid page, omission
...These are over us
To lighten [all] our travel...

Not 100% sure about this, but have a listen – I’m hearing more coo-CULL-un in this, and I heard yours more as coo-CAL-inn
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cuchulainn-audio.ogg
4.01-4.05, p 80 bottom lines
...who sings
Yet of Cuchulain by the western sea-
Off LV 25-28 March.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Parts 2, 3 & 4 corrected and ready for spot PL. Some over-zealous editing on Part 4, I think!
Newgatenovelist

Sections 2-4 are spot PL OK!
Off LV 25-28 March.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Time for some Anger and Dismay!

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/bluereview2_05_various.mp3 - 20:44

JD Beresford is another prolific author I had never heard of, but I am now about half way through the 'The Hampdenshire Wonder'. A very strange book. It starts off as a book about cricket and then gets weirder and weirder... It definitely should have been in the Newcastle collection!
Newgatenovelist

I have one note for section 5, an optional one on pronunciation. If you'd like to redo it when you have the mic out, well and good, otherwise flip the MW to OK.

When you've finished The Hampdenshire Wonder I would like to know more about it and if it carries on in the same vein! If you want to record it of course I'd be game, though I wouldn't be in a position to comment on cricket-related plot points...

4.13, p 89 penultimate para
I was born to witness the opening movement of the diastole...
https://www.lexico.com/definition/diastole
Off LV 25-28 March.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks, Erin. That's interesting because it means that 'systole' sounds exactly like 'sisterly', or is that my northern accent?

Back to Hathi... I was interested in your Elinor Jenkins poems and followed the link to the text, which turned out to be one of those Hathi pages with no access to the text, despite it being clearly PD. Or does it give access to you, but not to me? Anyway, Anne explained why that happens, but I also discovered the 'feedback' button, which you can use to ask for a PD text to be released. I tried and am waiting to see if I get a response.....
Newgatenovelist

It does look like systole and sisterly sound the same. I don't know that your accent has anything to do with it! Although if you do ever find a pronunciation website that takes into account the many and wonderful accents beyond RP, do let me know...
https://www.lexico.com/definition/systole

I really don't know what to say with HathiTrust. I fully appreciate the site, but I think perhaps sometimes the policy is to err on the side of caution. Very well done for submitting a release request. I will admit that I've given up with Hathi; I've not done very many but I've had more success with filing 'set it free, please!' forms from google books. Presumably Hathi is completely understaffed and responding to stray queries from nerds who want more books can be hard to get to!

Had you heard of Elinor Jenkins? Of course you don't need to have heard of her to want to follow up, but she just seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. If Hathi decide not to release the scan, you can still get the earlier collection from IA. The posthumous collection had a few small changes to the previously published poems, but no major rewrites.
Off LV 25-28 March.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Actually, I got a reply from Hathi overnight. I don't know what the significance of 1879 is.

"Volumes that are published in the US prior to 1924 or published outside the US before 1879, as well as US federal government documents, are treated as public domain. In addition, volumes published outside the US from 1879 through 1923 are treated as public domain for users accessing the volumes from US IP addresses, however they are treated as in-copyright for users that come from non-US IP addresses."

I don't know Elinor Jenkins, but the collection looks interesting. I find it difficult to listen to poetry without being able to see it on the page, so I'll download from IA.