Warrior of Two Worlds - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Warrior of Two Worlds, by Manly Wade Wellman (1903 - 1986), )

This project is now in our catalog at https://librivox.org/warrior-of-two-worlds-by-manly-wade-wellman/

Volunteers outside the USA: Manly Wade Wellman died in 1986. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
"He was the man of two planets, drawn through the blackness of space to save a nation from ruthless invaders. He was Yandro, the Stranger of the Prophecy—and he found that he was destined to fight both sides." Another swashbuckler in space from Manly Wade Wellman. Who could ask for anything more? (Summary by the publisher and phil chenevert)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/63097

Target completion date: 0-12-00

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave less than 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Part# of Warrior of Two Worlds. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Warrior of Two Worlds, by Manly Wade Wellman, Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Part # of Warrior of Two Worlds, by Manly Wade Wellman, This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of Part #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Warrior of Two Worlds, by Manly Wade Wellman, translated by Manly Wade Wellman."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename:warrioroftwoworlds_##_wellman_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. warrioroftwoworlds_01_wellman_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: xxxx

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
PastorTorch

Post by PastorTorch »

I'll read it first... and let you know if this is something I'd record.
I would like to do a solo project, but Religious fiction would be first choice as content goes. Still a good sci-fi might be fun.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

PastorTorch wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 3:23 pm I'll read it first... and let you know if this is something I'd record.
I would like to do a solo project, but Religious fiction would be first choice as content goes. Still a good sci-fi might be fun.
Hi PastorTorch. This is actually my solo that I will be recording. The New Projects Launch Pad is where people put the projects they want to start or have started. Some are solos and some are group projects.

You have a very large field to pick from in Religious fiction so I encourage you to have fun and find what you will enjoy. Ask if this is confusing and thanks for dropping bye. (I assure you, this story I would never categorize as Religious fiction!. More like Conan Fights Everybody I guess :roll: )
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Phil,

Boy, another SF story.

If you would be willing put up with me again, I am more than willing to DPL this for you. If not, I would understand. :cry:

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Kalamareader wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 10:27 am Phil,

Boy, another SF story.

If you would be willing put up with me again, I am more than willing to DPL this for you. If not, I would understand. :cry:

Wayne
Wayne, Wayne, I love ya guy! Of course you are most welcome. I'm kinda surprised you are back for more odd SF read by me! ha.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Just waiting with baited breath for the next trip into the wild, wild world of the minds of Science Fiction authors. :lol:
Wayne
PastorTorch

Post by PastorTorch »

??? The "Magic Window" still shows all chapters open..

If you have an assigned reader than, yeah, I'm confused about that. If not, I'm steeping up to volunteer!
No. this isn't religious fiction, but it is about a guy who they try to dupe into fighting their battles and conquering a planet in a scheme to cement their own power and greed. It is about a guy who sees through the lies to discover truth and secure peace instead of war. Now what could be better than that? Sounds like Christian ethos in action to me, even if draped in a sci-fi on an alien planet. Grin.
So if your looking for a reader... I'm volunteering.

I have four chapters in Religious Fiction, "The Old Church Clock" ... 3 completed, one left to record. Then I can get rolling on this. I think you'll find my pace steady and the audio quality above average. I've done a lot of sound work and mixing for live audiences' in church. So I built up a small recording setup here at home, running Audacity for recording and editing, and a cardio mic feed off a small 8-channel mixer for basic EQ and easy volume adjustment.
So? What do think?
(Either way.. here or on on some other book there are ample opportunities to get involved. So no worries about hurt feelings, aye!)
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

PastorTorch wrote: July 5th, 2021, 10:13 am ??? The "Magic Window" still shows all chapters open..

If you have an assigned reader than, yeah, I'm confused about that. If not, I'm steeping up to volunteer!
No. this isn't religious fiction, but it is about a guy who they try to dupe into fighting their battles and conquering a planet in a scheme to cement their own power and greed. It is about a guy who sees through the lies to discover truth and secure peace instead of war. Now what could be better than that? Sounds like Christian ethos in action to me, even if draped in a sci-fi on an alien planet. Grin.
So if your looking for a reader... I'm volunteering.
Yes, this is confusing and the problem is that I did not put my name in as reader for all of the sections. Fixed now I hope. Since this is a solo, I will be the only reader and cannot assign you any section. But there are lots of great books waiting for people to read them. since you have done other sections in group projects, you may want to think about browsing Gutenberg for some things that you can do as a solo. Welcome again and please keep asking questions. :thumbs:

EDIT: It just occurred to me that you may wish to record this as a solo yourself. Let me know and I will help you get started.
PastorTorch

Post by PastorTorch »

You can do that! Dude...
That could open up.. could I maybe do -any- book I desire to read? [That are in the public domain, o'course]

If you've got this one covered, I will move along... but... if you want a deep male voice for a part actor, or would like to hear what I sound like as a Narrator... all you have to do is ask. Thanks for the tips.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

The first part is now in the magic window. The bewildered but magnificently muscled earthling warrior is brought by magic to help save a world. But who is he? And why is his memory a complete blank? :shock:
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

philchenevert wrote: July 14th, 2021, 4:43 pm The first part is now in the magic window. The bewildered but magnificently muscled earthling warrior is brought by magic to help save a world. But who is he? And why is his memory a complete blank? :shock:
I don't know, but I am sure we will find out soon. :D

Good job reading, Phil, but a few things to look at. In fact, it seems that the bit in the middle just didn't get edited before submission, but now you get another chance. :D

Phil, it seems I remember reading a post by one of the Admins commenting on a recording that any 'sound effects' such as 'echo' (which was found in this person's recording) was not within LV parameters. Unfortunately I can't put my hands on this post, so…….

4:26.5 War, unceasing, bitter, with no quarter asked, given or expected. You left off the word War.

5:07 The voice became grand. You forgot to turn off the echo.

7:49 Especially as I don't know who I am, or where I'm from, You said if

8:12 "Sound the signal," Repeat

8:14.5 and he jerked his head toward a system of levers and gauges on the wall beside the door-jamb. Repeat of a system

8:36 the idea needs to be deleted

9:03.5 asked the broad-faced one who had first spoken. This sentence just has to be cleaned up.

9:12 A 'clearing of the throat' needs to be dleted.

9:13-9:19 needs to be cleaned up.

9:41 and from it Repeat

12:10 and blue eyes that just now burned and questioned. You said with. Kind of sounds like her mouth had blue eyes.

15:41 In a few moments two other men came You said minutes

17:10 This may be Yandro, though I'm a plain soldier and follow the classics very little. You said That

Wayne
Wayne
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Wow Wayne! I must have sent the wrong file or something. I'll get on those edits tomorrow. And about the reverb, you are correct and I'll take that out. I just could not figure out how to make the voice sound 'in his head' and that seemed a cool effect.

EDIT: Ok, edits done and uploaded again. I apologize for the poor state of that audio track; I obviously skipped editing whole sections. tsk, tsk, tsk. I will blame it on my cats. Since I had to delete the voices with echo and re-record them, that made it longer and messed up the timing points of the rest of the edits so you will have the dickens to find 'em.
Gee Wayne, you may be reconsidering PLing this project now, eh? I promise to do a better job on future sections. :roll:
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

philchenevert wrote: July 15th, 2021, 5:58 pm Wow Wayne! I must have sent the wrong file or something. I'll get on those edits tomorrow. And about the reverb, you are correct and I'll take that out. I just could not figure out how to make the voice sound 'in his head' and that seemed a cool effect.

EDIT: Ok, edits done and uploaded again. I apologize for the poor state of that audio track; I obviously skipped editing whole sections. tsk, tsk, tsk. I will blame it on my cats. Since I had to delete the voices with echo and re-record them, that made it longer and messed up the timing points of the rest of the edits so you will have the dickens to find 'em.
Gee Wayne, you may be reconsidering PLing this project now, eh? I promise to do a better job on future sections. :roll:
As it turned out, it wasn't too hard. I just started at the time I listed, and then just listened until I got to the right part, no problem. However, YOU have a problem :lol:. At the end of the recording, you have some of your "editing" sample still there. So, just delete that little part, and you will be fine. Really, no need to resubmit it for Spot PL. I trust you :D.

I do have one question, though. As DPL, do you want me to have access to the MW? I can't find it in my list.

Wayne
Wayne
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I do have one question, though. As DPL, do you want me to have access to the MW? I can't find it in my list.
Wayne
Oh, I DO want you to have access and there is an excellent reason why you could not. Your name had not been put into the project screen as DPL. By me. You are there now. And I will snip off that extra piece of part 2.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

I am so getting 'into' this thing. I am enjoying the story and your narration of it. Thank you.

Part 2 has a few things to look at:

8:43 Why can two people not join forces and face toil and nature together? You said How

10:09 At sight of me, they rose together, most respectfully. You added the word "and" between 'together' and 'most'

14:57 showing most perfect white teeth. You said almost. Your call.

15:23.5 found the elements that support life and give comfort. You said gave.

16:41 But," and her voice, from a soft, shy murmur, turned hard, You forgot the word “But”

26:13 The scout's bearded mouth opened, as if he yelled in exultation. You left out “if”

27:38 We sent the man you saw You said that. Your call.

Loving it. :clap: Waiting for more. :D

Wayne
Wayne