[COMPLETE] The Age of the Puritans Volume 1 - kaz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

The Age of the Puritans Volume 1, by
This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-age-of-the-puritans-volume-1/
This volume of The Age of the Puritans begins with William Perkin's concise summary of Christian doctrine written in response to popular misconceptions of the time and Robert Rollock's scheme for logically dividing doctrine into key topics. Rollock then explains the relationship between the written Scriptures and what he terms the "lively voice" heard in other ages, pre-empting what would later become the Quaker-Puritan debates. <a href="https://librivox.org/author/15499">B.B. Warfield</a> gives a 'best of' John Arrowsmith's Armilla Catechetica (two of Arrowsmith's sermons to the English parliament during the First English Civil War appear at the end of this collection). William Perkins illuminates the book of 1 John by arranging it as a dialogue between the church and John with Perkins supplying the questions to which John is responding. This is followed by Stephen Charnock's and John Bunyan's dying aphorisms. William Ames (the Quaker, not to be confused with the theologian of the same name who died 30 years earlier) gives a general exhoration to "The Friends of Truth", the name used by the Quakers for themselves. William Perkins writes a treatise on faith. Protestant John Owen finally weighs in on the question of the permissability of remarriage after a case of divorce. (Summary by InTheDesert)
Source text (please read only from this text!):

Target completion date: 2021-08-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

At the BEGINNING say: "[Title of Work], by [Author]" "This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit Librivox.org"
At the END, say: "End of [Title], by [Author]"
If you wish, you may also say: "Read by...your name."
There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: pur01_[number]_[shorttitle]_[authorsurname]_128kb.mp3
Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kazbek

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by InTheDesert on August 17th, 2021, 12:10 am, edited 5 times in total.
American Trials Vol. 3 95% 5 left!
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 93% 2 left!
Devotional Commentary: Apocalypse 85%
Emotions
PL pls: DPL DPL 43 27-28
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

I'll be glad to set this up for you. Be right back with the MW.

Update: Ok, your MW is up. I'll check the sources and add the new authors a bit later.

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

It would be better to use a scan of the Robert Rollock volume that isn't missing the title page. How about this one?

https://books.google.com/books?id=LugYAAAAYAAJ

Michael
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Kazbek wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 6:17 pm It would be better to use a scan of the Robert Rollock volume that isn't missing the title page. How about this one?

https://books.google.com/books?id=LugYAAAAYAAJ

Michael
Good point. Actually Princeton (who do very good Archive scans) have a much better version of the same thing:
https://archive.org/details/selectworksofrob01roll/page/n11/mode/2up
Emotions
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Alright. All the listed sources are PD and the new authors have been added.

Michael
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Thanks Michael! Sorry for the extra work that a collection poses...

MW has been filled in.
Emotions
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

No worries. It's a small fraction of the work you're putting into researching and recording these unique projects.

Michael
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Kalamareader wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 10:46 am
Hi there,

I think I would be interested in DPLing this for you. But it would be a lot easier to do if the reference URLs were in the same order as the sections in the MW, or better yet, inserted in the MW itself. :)

Just let me know what you think.

Wayne

P.S. Of course if Michele wants to keep working with you, that will be great.
I've got no DPL lined up at this stage. :) If you decide to, you can access all the texts from the MW (click on the magnifying glass) but since you've asked for it, I've put it into the publicly accessible MW. That said, you might find following along on the texts a little tedious because of the spelling.
Emotions
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

InTheDesert wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 11:13 am
Kalamareader wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 10:46 am
Hi there,

I think I would be interested in DPLing this for you. But it would be a lot easier to do if the reference URLs were in the same order as the sections in the MW, or better yet, inserted in the MW itself. :)

Just let me know what you think.

Wayne

P.S. Of course if Michele wants to keep working with you, that will be great.
I've got no DPL lined up at this stage. :) If you decide to, you can access all the texts from the MW (click on the magnifying glass) but since you've asked for it, I've put it into the publicly accessible MW. That said, you might find following along on the texts a little tedious because of the spelling.
This all works for me. I'm on board. Thanks for links in the MW. When I PL I always read along. I have done a lot of stuff in this time frame, and I don't think spelling will be a problem.

I will get started.

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Well, here is my first go at it:

Since I only had a short time this afternoon, I took the two shortest sections you have recorded.

I really enjoyed your reading. There are, however, a couple of things you might look at:

Section 2

3:47 Of the Churce of God, Which arises out of the blessings before specified You said 'On'. This comment only comes because of the structure of all of this list, each starting with 'Of' which also makes more sense in the sentence structure. However, as with all my notes, this is your call.

Section 7

7:41.5 To seek yourself in this world is to be lost ; and to be humble is to be exalted. I heard 'humbled'. I really think this one changes the meaning of the sentence. Is it not better to be 'humble' without having to be 'humbled'?

7:46.5 It is not every suffering that makes a martyr, You left out this phrase

12:14 When once a man is damned, he may bid adieu to all pleasures You left out the word 'once'.

Also a couple of general things. I noticed in the first post that the instructions as regards to the intro and outgo differ from the usual LV methods. Such things as not noting the "Section"number at the beginning, or again saying the name of the author with the title before starting the reading, as well as not giving the 'end of Section X' in the outgo. In the past, even in collections, these were given. Is this something special you are doing, or am I misremembering what I have done and heard as a DPLer in the past. Just a question so I know what I am looking for as a DPLer?

Keep up the good work and I will get to more of yours soon. It will probably be Tuesday due to other commitments between now and then. Looking forward to it.

Wayne

Edit: Could you set me up so I have access to the MW? Thanks
Wayne
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Kalamareader wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 3:28 pm Also a couple of general things. I noticed in the first post that the instructions as regards to the intro and outgo differ from the usual LV methods. Such things as not noting the "Section"number at the beginning, or again saying the name of the author with the title before starting the reading, as well as not giving the 'end of Section X' in the outgo. In the past, even in collections, these were given. Is this something special you are doing, or am I misremembering what I have done and heard as a DPLer in the past. Just a question so I know what I am looking for as a DPLer?
It looks fine to me. A similar format is used in the Short Nonfiction Collection.
Done, and moving the thread to Going Solo. :)

Michael
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Kazbek wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 4:46 pm
Kalamareader wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 3:28 pm Also a couple of general things. I noticed in the first post that the instructions as regards to the intro and outgo differ from the usual LV methods. Such things as not noting the "Section"number at the beginning, or again saying the name of the author with the title before starting the reading, as well as not giving the 'end of Section X' in the outgo. In the past, even in collections, these were given. Is this something special you are doing, or am I misremembering what I have done and heard as a DPLer in the past. Just a question so I know what I am looking for as a DPLer?
It looks fine to me. A similar format is used in the Short Nonfiction Collection.
Done, and moving the thread to Going Solo. :)

Michael
You comments on the set up sound logical to me. And thanks for the access. :D

I had time tonight to do section 3. Good reading and interesting text. There were few things that you might want to look at:

13:18 For that which is more perfect and full, that we are to write, to this end, that it may remain both for us and our posterity ; but that which is more imperfect, that we do not esteem worthy the writing, or to be reserved unto posterity You left out this phrase: but that which is more imperfect,

13:57.5 The third, from Christ and his Apostles, even unto the end, I heard “to

16:48 Repeat of “for even then the Church catholic came to man's estate and full growth,”

22:33 Now I would have you declare something unto me concerning the subject of this writing, and of the matter itself which is written ? You said “was

Keep up the good work. Should get to the last one tomorrow.

Wayne
Wayne