[COMPLETE] The Age of the Puritans Volume 1 - kaz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Kalamareader wrote: July 6th, 2021, 9:21 pm You comments on the set up sound logical to me. And thanks for the access. :D

I had time tonight to do section 3. Good reading and interesting text. There were few things that you might want to look at:

13:18 For that which is more perfect and full, that we are to write, to this end, that it may remain both for us and our posterity ; but that which is more imperfect, that we do not esteem worthy the writing, or to be reserved unto posterity You left out this phrase: but that which is more imperfect,

13:57.5 The third, from Christ and his Apostles, even unto the end, I heard “to

16:48 Repeat of “for even then the Church catholic came to man's estate and full growth,”

22:33 Now I would have you declare something unto me concerning the subject of this writing, and of the matter itself which is written ? You said “was

Keep up the good work. Should get to the last one tomorrow.

Wayne
Thanks for the careful PLing! I'm also happy to hear comments about pronunciation. If it's alright, I'll do the corrections in one batch at the end.

Section 11 is up.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

InTheDesert wrote: July 7th, 2021, 5:47 pm
Kalamareader wrote: July 6th, 2021, 9:21 pm You comments on the set up sound logical to me. And thanks for the access. :D

I had time tonight to do section 3. Good reading and interesting text. There were few things that you might want to look at:

13:18 For that which is more perfect and full, that we are to write, to this end, that it may remain both for us and our posterity ; but that which is more imperfect, that we do not esteem worthy the writing, or to be reserved unto posterity You left out this phrase: but that which is more imperfect,

13:57.5 The third, from Christ and his Apostles, even unto the end, I heard “to

16:48 Repeat of “for even then the Church catholic came to man's estate and full growth,”

22:33 Now I would have you declare something unto me concerning the subject of this writing, and of the matter itself which is written ? You said “was

Keep up the good work. Should get to the last one tomorrow.

Wayne

Thanks for the careful PLing! I'm also happy to hear comments about pronunciation. If it's alright, I'll do the corrections in one batch at the end.

Section 11 is up.

Sure, as to the 'corrections', what ever works best for you.

Life has really been happening. I will get these done as quickly as possible.

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

I just listened to Section 1. Very interesting, also I am so impressed with the way you handled that old spelling. Very well done.

I have to admit that I have never had the occasion to have someone wait till the end of the book to do the editing. It seems to me that it would be more difficult, but I know you have done a number of Solos, so you know what you are doing. :D

As for Section 1, here is what I found:

3:12 Text says 21, you said 31

3:37 It sounds like you said 35 rather than 25

3:41 36 rather than 26

3:35 It sounds like 37 instead of 27

6:41.5 You omitted this sentence: Q. What are the ordinary meanes for the obtaining of faith.

9:16 How knowe you that God go∣uerneth euery particular thing in the world by his speciall prouidence. You left out the word “thing”.

9:21.5 To omit the Scriptures, I see it by experience: You left out the word “I”.

10:21 In whome is this corruption of nature? You said “the”. This one is kind of close. It does kind of change the meaning of the sentence, but really up to you.

14:26 Forgot the word “Answer

I am looking forward to listening to more. :D

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

InTheDesert wrote: July 7th, 2021, 5:47 pm
Section 11 is up.
I had a little (or a lot, wow, 66 minutes long!) time this afternoon and got 11 listened to. That was quite the sermon, and I am so proud of you with all the weird words, and your Latin (to someone who doesn't speak Latin except in songs) sure sounded good to me! :clap:

There were a few things to look at. Some of them have some comments in the comments. :wink:

8:20.5 reminde them of the mercie received between these two places, You left out the word “two”. Kind of picky, your call.

13:30 Elias in the Wildernesse wanting meat,* an Angell turns Sewer You said Elijah.

15:37 I remember Austin in his Confessions prayseth God for furnishing his nurse with milk; You said Agustin. Now with all of the weird spelling in this if Austin is just a transliteration of Agustin you, of course, can leave it. I am not familiar with either of these names in the context of this sermon. This is entirely your call.

30:10 is the phrase that is used concerning Elias, Again you said Elijah. We have to keep with the text.

45:20.5 O that men would prayse the Lord for his goodnesse, & for his wonderfull works to the children of men. You said “for”. Your call.

54:44 Great parts are like great Ordnance: You added the word “like” at the beginning of this sentence.

55:15.5 and their large parts to enlarge their condemnation there. You said “here”.

59:29.5 what Austin did, See above.

Waiting for more when you get them done. :D

Wayne
Wayne
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Section 5 is up. I had some trouble recording this one. If you hear microphone pops or background noise, just let me know and I'll redo those parts. I'd also appreciate it (since you're following along on the text) if you can make sure I say 'chapter 3/4/5'. I have a vague memory that I said chpater 5 twice but I'm not sure.

The names are a perennial problem since I'm not using a historical pronunciation (no skills there). There's basically a spectrum given how transliterations have changed over time. A good example is Esay (these days Isaiah) - what does pronouncing that without changing the text look like? Same think with Elias - how is that pronounced - Eeliyas, Eleeeyas - and how does it relate to modern transliterations? Since the two biblical figures are Elijah and Elisha these days, would a listener conclude Eeliyas= Elisha (even though the figure in question is Elijah)? Saint Austin in these texts is indeed St. Augustine these days:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustine_of_Hippo#Background
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustine_(given_name)
Same question: What's the 'correct' modern pronunciation of a historic name and why?

I'm happy to change them - I guess I'm just wondering which pronunciation is more accurate and why.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

I think the scare quotes around "correct" are... "correct". There's a trade-off between trying to convey how the author meant a historical name to be pronounced (to the degree that one can surmise it) and trying to make it intelligible to the average modern reader. Neither of them is necessarily better than the other. In those days, the pronunciation was also less standardized than it is now. A more educated person might say "Augustinus" while a less educated one might say "Austin". "Elias" is the version derived from the Vulgate, and how someone pronounced that in English could probably be influenced by what regional pronunciation of Latin their teachers used. "Elijah" is influenced by Hebrew and seems to have entered English usage through KJV. Tyndale used the curious form Helias, which one might think was inspired by his Greek studies, except that there's no rough breathing in the NT spelling of the name, at least in the edition I have on my shelf. So, what I'm trying to say... it's entirely up to you.

Michael
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

My preference is always for comprehensibility within the bounds of LV policy, so I'll leave the names if that's ok Wayne. :)
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

InTheDesert wrote: July 9th, 2021, 8:19 am My preference is always for comprehensibility within the bounds of LV policy, so I'll leave the names if that's ok Wayne. :)
Sure guys, what ever you want. The only thing I did was to check the reference (James 5:17) given for Elias in the KJV, and it said Elias. And since this was given in England in 1644, I assumed that that is the text he would have been using, and trying to keep to the words used in the documents, that is why I made that note.

And like I said with the "Austin" reference, I knew nothing.

Wayne :)
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

InTheDesert wrote: July 9th, 2021, 12:14 am Section 5 is up.
Very well done. I certainly didn't hear any pops or background noise that were distracting at all.

There were a few things, however, that you might look at:

7:38.5 and there is no... and regenerated Repeat

8:58 ye haue ouercome that wicked one. You said evil.

13:22 know ye that he which worketh righteousnes is borne of him You said ye know. That does give a different meaning to the sentence. Original is an injunction for them to know, and the one read is more a statement of fact. (As I see it.)

13:32 Forgot to say “Church” at the beginning of the Chapter

20:21 Yup, you said “Chapter 5 instead of Chapter 4.

27:05 This is that Iesus Christ You forgot Christ

27:52 and the water Forgot and Your call.

Looking forward to more.

Wayne

P.S. and as ye haue heard that Antichrist shall come, [a speciall Antichrist, the chiefe of all other; who is now manifest to be the Pope of Rome]. I wonder if this is still the teaching of the Church of England.
Wayne
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Thanks for your enthusiasm about this project. I thought these pieces might be too obscure even for LV...

Section 2, 3 and 7 are ready for spot checks:
Section 2:
3:47 on -> of

Section 3:
13:27 added "but that which is more imperfect"
14:01 to->and
16:51 "for even then the Church catholic came to man's estate and full growth" now only once
22:39 was -> is

Section 7:
7:44 humbled -> humble
7:47 added 'It is not every suffering that makes a martyr'
12:17 added 'once'

Section 4 has been uploaded and I think it's my favourite so far. His imagery is very striking.

The pope as the final antichrist was a Reformation idea (particularly promoted by Luther) that was fading in the Puritan period.
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

InTheDesert wrote: July 10th, 2021, 2:34 am Thanks for your enthusiasm about this project. I thought these pieces might be too obscure even for LV...

Section 2, 3 and 7 are ready for spot checks:
Section 2:
3:47 on -> of

Section 3:
13:27 added "but that which is more imperfect"
14:01 to->and
16:51 "for even then the Church catholic came to man's estate and full growth" now only once
22:39 was -> is

Section 7:
7:44 humbled -> humble
7:47 added 'It is not every suffering that makes a martyr'
12:17 added 'once'

Section 4 has been uploaded and I think it's my favourite so far. His imagery is very striking.

The pope as the final antichrist was a Reformation idea (particularly promoted by Luther) that was fading in the Puritan period.
I checked out the three above and Section 2 is PLOK :thumbs: .

However, I have a couple of notes on 3 and 7:

Section 3 22:39 Now I would have you declare something unto me concerning the subject of this writing, and of the matter itself which is written ? You made the correction noted, but in the re-reading you left you the word something.

Section 7 at 7:44, to me it still sounds like humbled. If I am hearing it wrong just let me know.

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

InTheDesert wrote: July 10th, 2021, 2:34 am Section 4 has been uploaded and I think it's my favourite so far. His imagery is very striking.
I agree completely. This was a great collection of thought provoking quotations. But, as often happens in life, things sound a lot better with you pick the best out of the whole of ones work. There were many in there that really hit home to me. Thanks for choosing this one.

I did find a few things you might want to look at:

4:01.5 With men indeed a little science may make a great show You said the

5:01 VI—GOD KNOWN BY HIS WORKS. You said IV

9:16.5 This crazy bark of my body You said soul

10:20 The king's image is in his coin, and in his son You said the

15:59.5 Not as if, when iniquity is forgiven, You said forgotten.

23:37.5 How bitter so ever the cup be I can't hear the

Waiting for more. :D

Wayne
Wayne
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Kalamareader wrote: July 8th, 2021, 2:44 pm I just listened to Section 1. Very interesting, also I am so impressed with the way you handled that old spelling. Very well done.

I have to admit that I have never had the occasion to have someone wait till the end of the book to do the editing. It seems to me that it would be more difficult, but I know you have done a number of Solos, so you know what you are doing. :D

As for Section 1, here is what I found:

3:41 36 rather than 26

3:35 It sounds like 37 instead of 27

6:41.5 You omitted this sentence: Q. What are the ordinary meanes for the obtaining of faith.

9:16 How knowe you that God go∣uerneth euery particular thing in the world by his speciall prouidence. You left out the word “thing”.

9:21.5 To omit the Scriptures, I see it by experience: You left out the word “I”.

10:21 In whome is this corruption of nature? You said “the”. This one is kind of close. It does kind of change the meaning of the sentence, but really up to you.

14:26 Forgot the word “Answer

I am looking forward to listening to more. :D

Wayne
Spot checks at:

3:42 36 rather than 26

3:47 It sounds like 37 instead of 27

6:43 You omitted this sentence: Q. What are the ordinary meanes for the obtaining of faith.

9:24 How knowe you that God go∣uerneth euery particular thing in the world by his speciall prouidence. You left out the word “thing”.

9:27.5 To omit the Scriptures, I see it by experience: You left out the word “I”.

10:29 In whome is this corruption of nature? You said “the”. This one is kind of close. It does kind of change the meaning of the sentence, but really up to you.

14:34 Forgot the word “Answer
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Kalamareader wrote: July 10th, 2021, 12:50 pm
InTheDesert wrote: July 10th, 2021, 2:34 am Section 4 has been uploaded and I think it's my favourite so far. His imagery is very striking.
I agree completely. This was a great collection of thought provoking quotations. But, as often happens in life, things sound a lot better with you pick the best out of the whole of ones work. There were many in there that really hit home to me. Thanks for choosing this one.

Wayne
Section 4 Spot checks:

4:05 With men indeed a little science may make a great show You said the

5:02 VI—GOD KNOWN BY HIS WORKS. You said IV

9:20 This crazy bark of my body You said soul

10:23 The king's image is in his coin, and in his son You said the

16:04 Not as if, when iniquity is forgiven, You said forgotten.

23:42 How bitter so ever the cup be I can't hear the
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

InTheDesert wrote: July 13th, 2021, 6:47 am
Kalamareader wrote: July 10th, 2021, 12:50 pm

Wayne
Section 4 Spot checks:

4:05 With men indeed a little science may make a great show You said the

5:02 VI—GOD KNOWN BY HIS WORKS. You said IV

9:20 This crazy bark of my body You said soul

10:23 The king's image is in his coin, and in his son You said the

16:04 Not as if, when iniquity is forgiven, You said forgotten.

23:42 How bitter so ever the cup be I can't hear the
Great job with the corrections. Absolutely seamless!!

Sections 1 and 4 PLOK :thumbs:

Wayne
Wayne