[COMPLETE] Daylight Land by W. H.H. Murray - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Daylight Land, by William Henry Harrison Murray (1840 - 1904)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/daylight-land-by-william-henry-harrison-murray/

Mr. Murray takes us on an adventure that he has recorded as payment to his family in exchange for their permission to embark upon it. In this trip, he travels by train across Canada all the way to Vancouver. He details for us the immense beauty of the breathtaking sights, the stories of his comrades that he picks up during the trip, and a few chance encounters who have amazing stores to tell. This book is as entertaining as it is educational for what was there, and what was expected to develop in the early decades of the Twentieth Century. (Summary by Keith Salis)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/daylightlandexpe00murrrich

Target completion date: 2021-07-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: 2ufZIvMc
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Henry_Harrison_Murray (William Henry Harrison Murray)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 17
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1888
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project:

Keywords that describe the book:

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Daylight Land. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Daylight Land, by William Henry Harrison Murray. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Daylight Land, by William Henry Harrison Murray. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Daylight Land, by William Henry Harrison Murray."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: daylightland_##_murray_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. daylightland_01_murray_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: icequeen

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Keratak on August 8th, 2021, 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Like a story that we wish was never ending, we know sometime we must reach the final page. Still we carry on just pretending that there'll always be one more book to go. - Fading Lights, Genesis
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I can MC this one for you! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, your MW is ready for you! I put a ~ in the subject line to advertise for a DPL, unless you have someone already lined up.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Thank you! I don't have anyone lined up.
I look forward to working with you!
Like a story that we wish was never ending, we know sometime we must reach the final page. Still we carry on just pretending that there'll always be one more book to go. - Fading Lights, Genesis
justjennifer

Post by justjennifer »

I would be happy to DPL for you!
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Sounds good!
I hope to get started this weekend. The copy is a PDF, and I'm bringing it into Word, which takes some care to keep it clean. It also gives me something to do while I get over a cold, so the whole thing doesn't sound like Froggy from the Little Rascals.

Thanks, ladies!
Keith
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

justjennifer wrote: June 21st, 2021, 12:40 pm I would be happy to DPL for you!

You have access to the MW now, Jennifer! Thank you so much!

Off we go to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Section 1: Intro and Ch1 is ready for PL.
This is likely the first book I've read all the way through before recording.
I'm really looking forward to doing this one!
Next week I largely have the house to myself, so I'm hoping to make some serious headway with it.
Please don't feel a need to get to the PL's quickly, I just enjoy staying on a project once I get started, but my push is only on my part. I find that's my best chance of keeping the characters consistent.

Keith
justjennifer

Post by justjennifer »

Great, Keith - I look forward to listening. I will get started tomorrow. I appreciate the flexibility on the pace of the project. Typically I can keep it pretty steady, and I’ll give you a heads up if there’s any point at which it will be an unusually long time before I can get to chapters.
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

OK. Ch2 is also up there also!
justjennifer

Post by justjennifer »

Sections 1 and 2 are PL OK!
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Chapters 3, 4, and 5 are ready for PL.
I was holding off because Ch 3 & 4 are small, but I didn't realize 5 was going to be so big, sorry!
I thought it funny in Ch4, he tells the reader to close his eyes and picture the scene, which only works with an audio book...did he know???
Ch 5 was one of the most fun I've had in a long time, but also painful to correct when I found mistakes that were hard to match the voice.
Hopefully it comes off well.
justjennifer

Post by justjennifer »

Sections 3 and 4 are PL OK! It's quite an interesting tale, isn't it?
Keratak

Post by Keratak »

Yes. I loved how the author chatted up how good of a storyteller he was. Thanks for putting all the pressure on me, Willy!
justjennifer

Post by justjennifer »

Section 5 is PL OK!