COMPLETE The Life of St. Dominic Savio by St. John Bosco-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

The Life of St. Dominic Savio, by Bosco

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-life-of-st-dominic-savio-by-john-bosco/

This it the most authentic biography of St. Dominic Savio, seeing as it is written by St. John Bosco, Savio's teacher. It will not fail to edify anyone who reads it! (Summary by Mozartjr)
Source text (please read only from this text!): http://www.saintsbooks.net/books/St. John Bosco - The Life of Dominic Savio.pdf

Target completion date: 0-12-00

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Life of St. Dominic Savio. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Life of St. Dominic Savio, by St. John Bosco. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Life of St. Dominic Savio, by St. John Bosco. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Life of St. Dominic Savio, by St. John Bosco."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: dominicsavio_##_bosco_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. dominicsavio_01_bosco_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: maryannspiegel

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Mozartjr on July 26th, 2021, 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Hello! Welcome to the forum! (Although I see that you have been around for a little while already, this is only your second post, so I'll still say welcome.) :wink:

I know you are probably excited about this project, and have maybe been wondering why you haven't had a response yet. To be honest with you, I'm not sure if we'll be able to use this source. We have to be extremely careful that there's no risk of running afoul of any new copyrights that might have attached to newer productions of old books. The admins still need to do some checking up on the source to be sure we can use it.

In the meantime, you should definitely complete your one-minute test: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test This is not an audition, but more like a sound and tech check. We need to be sure that your recordings are in the right format, and it's easier to tinker around with settings on a small clip than on a long chapter.

We also strongly suggest that you participate in at least one group project before starting out on a solo. From experience, we've seen that most readers who begin a solo without doing that intermediate step tend to give up fairly early on, because they didn't know what they were getting into.

While we try to determine the copyright/PD status of this text, please do work on your 1-minute test and (preferably) submit a section or two to some other project. :)
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

Alright. I'll join in on another recording when the source is being checked on.
Thanks!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Hello Mozart,
We've checked on your source and confirmed that it meets LV's criteria for recording. I'd be happy to MC this project for you. I see you have submitted your 1 minute test and claimed a section in a group project. Please go ahead with those and I will get this project set up for you.
MaryAnn
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

Great! thanks so much.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, Your MW is set up.

For a solo project, you are the Book Coordinator. That means you fill out the Magic Window and post your links and times in the window when you upload your files.

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!) Please be sure to read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information on your role as a BC.

Note that passwords for the magic window and the forum are not connected. You can use the same password in both places (I think a lot of people do), but if you change it on one system, it won't affect the password on the other system.

Next, you'll need to start entering section (or chapter) titles. I've entered the first couple to get you started. It looks like the book has more chapters than you have sections. You can add sections if you need to, or group short chapters into a single section. Your choice.

Then you are ready to start recording. When you upload a section, it's your responsibility to add the link and duration (mm:ss) to the Magic Window. Link from the uploader goes in the "listen URL" column, duration goes in the "notes" column. Then be sure to post in the thread that a new section is ready for PL so your DPL knows there is something new.

We won't worry about a DPL just yet - folks often see new projects and volunteer to listen before anything is posted. If no one sees this, we will advertise once you have a section or two ready to listen to.

If you have questions, or if you have any trouble with the instructions in the BC how to, please post and we'll work through it together. There is a bit of a learning curve when you do your first solo. You've picked a nice size book - not too long and something that you are interested in, so it should be a manageable and enjoyable process for you.

MaryAnn
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

My recorder wasn't working right, so I had to buy a new one... that's why nothing is uploaded yet.
It should go pretty quick once I start, though.
Mozartjt
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks for the update.

Please feel free to submit a new one minute test when you get the new equipment - second set of eyes to check that your setting are all spot on.

MaryAnn
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

The first two sections are up and ready to be listened to.
Mozartjr
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Great Mozart. Now that you have a couple of sections posted, it is a good time to post an advert for a DPL on the Listeners Wanted board. Instructions are here: viewtopic.php?p=318668#p318668

MaryAnn
Mozartjr

Post by Mozartjr »

jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

I'd be happy to DPL for you, Mozartjr. You are DPL on my mammoth solo project so let me compensate you even fractionally by doing this :lol: :lol:
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Jake,
I've added you as DPL so you now have MW access.

Mozart,
When you post a section, be sure to change the status to "ready to pl". That way it will show up on Jake's reader page as needing attention. It's also helpful to post in the thread that new sections are ready to PL, as that will generate a notice to Jake to check the thread. Jake will change the status to "PL OK" after he listens, and I'll catalog when all the sections have a PL OK status.

MaryAnn
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

First 4 sections all PL OK!

Just one query - the sections in the MW are numbered 00, 01, 02. etc. but in the recordings you label them "Preface" for 00, and for 01 you call it Section 2, and 02 you call Section 3 etc. So would it be worth changing the section numbers in the MW to start at 01 instead of 00, so the numbers match up?