[COMPLETE] A Year with the Birds by W. Warde Fowler - kaz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

SOLO ~ A Year with the Birds, by W. Warde Fowler (1847 - 1921)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/a-year-with-the-birds-by-w-warde-fowler/
A Latin scholar records his observations of the local bird life throughout the year in Oxford, England, in the late 1800s. (Summary by Deborah Beach Giordano)
NOTE: The reader is known as "Owlivia" on Librivox. 8-)

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/yearwithbirds00fowliala

Target completion date: 2021-10-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of A Year with the Birds. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "A Year with the Birds, by W. Warde Fowler. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of A Year with the Birds, by W. Warde Fowler. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of A Year with the Birds, by W. Warde Fowler."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: yearwiththebirds_##_fowler_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. yearwiththebirds_01_fowler_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kazbek

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

If you need a DPL, I would be glad to volunteer.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Ah, our old friend Prof. Fowler! I'll be glad to set this up for you. Be right back with the MW.

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Ok, the MW is up.

Owlivia, it looks like this may be the first time you'll be accessing a MW. Before you can access a MW for the first time, you will need to set up a password for logging into the workflow system, as described here:

How to log in to the workflow system for the first time

Other instructions for managing the Magic Window can be found on this wiki page:

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

You are an experienced LVer, so the following may be old news.... As soloist, you will also be the BC (book coordinator) for your project, and will be in charge of filling out the Magic Window. In a solo project, you don't have to worry about the things that BCs do in group projects for other readers. You just need to do the following:

1) Fill out the Title column, which will be used in the catalog (hit Enter to save).
2) Put file durations (mm:ss) into the Notes column (click Save to save).
3) Copy file URLs from the uploader and paste them into the Listen URL column (hit Enter to save).
4) Update the status to "ready for PL" and "ready for spot PL", as appropriate.

Let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to working with you and we'll be heading to Going Solo as soon as we have a final word regarding the DPL. :)

Michael
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

Kazbek wrote: June 8th, 2021, 7:34 pm Ok, the MW is up.

Owlivia, it looks like this may be the first time you'll be accessing a MW. Before you can access a MW for the first time, you will need to set up a password for logging into the workflow system, as described here:

How to log in to the workflow system for the first time

Other instructions for managing the Magic Window can be found on this wiki page:

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

You are an experienced LVer, so the following may be old news.... As soloist, you will also be the BC (book coordinator) for your project, and will be in charge of filling out the Magic Window. In a solo project, you don't have to worry about the things that BCs do in group projects for other readers. You just need to do the following:

1) Fill out the Title column, which will be used in the catalog (hit Enter to save).
3) Copy file URLs from the uploader and paste them into the Listen URL column (hit Enter to save).

Let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to working with you and we'll be heading to Going Solo as soon as we have a final word regarding the DPL. :)

Michael
Ooh, thanks bunches and bunches. I'm excited to begin; sort of sticking-my-toe-in-the-water timid, too. :)
Onward!!
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

silverquill wrote: June 8th, 2021, 6:40 pm If you need a DPL, I would be glad to volunteer.
:9:
That would be lovely! Thanks a bunch! 🌸🌼🌺
Will take me a few days to get up and running on this, but tickled pink to begin. 8-)
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Larry has been added as DPL and we're off to Going Solo. 8-)

Michael
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

Preface
https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/yearwiththebirds_00_fowler_128kb.mp3
3:59.28

Chapter 1
https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/yearwiththebirds_01_fowler_128kb.mp3
33:41.20

Chapter 2
https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/yearwiththebirds_02_fowler_128kb.mp3
34:38.82

This is taking (quite) a bit longer than I anticipated. Life intrudes, and some performance anxiety (want to do well by dear Prof. Fowler), along with pollen and subsequent froggy-toned voice.
🐸

I plan to change the description of the material, and further expand the info about Fowler, soonish.

Many thanks for your patience!
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

Chapter 3
https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/yearwiththebirds_03_fowler_128kb.mp3
46:46.78

Rather long-ish and I delayed updating the MW until I was certain this would require only ONE file, rather than divided into two.

Corrections/suggestions on German pronunciations heartily welcomed. :shock:
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Hi Deborah,

It looks like you're on a roll. :thumbs: As BC you should also update the other columns of the MW:

Let me know if you have any questions. I can also help with German pronunciation, if needed. :)

Michael
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

Kazbek wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 7:14 pm Hi Deborah,

It looks like you're on a roll. :thumbs: As BC you should also update the other columns of the MW:

Let me know if you have any questions. I can also help with German pronunciation, if needed. :)

Michael
OK!! Thanks for the additional help; I've added these and set them to "ready for PL."
Fortunately, our favorite professor focused the next chapter back in Merrie Olde - but heads back to the Alps in the following chapter, so you may be hearing from me then. :)

Onward! :D
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Preface and Chapter 1 are PL OK
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Chapter 2 is PL OK
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Sections 3 and 4 are PL OK
~ Larry
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

Prof. Fowler deserves a better intro, to be sure; I've cribbed what appears below from the Gifford Lectures page. Can we use this, if we credit them accordingly?

William Warde Fowler, Tutor and Fellow of Lincoln College, Oxford
1847 to 1921

William Warde Fowler was born at Langford Budville, Somerset on 16 May 1847. After a year as fellow of Lincoln College, Oxford, Fowler tutored ancient history at that college until 1910 as well as at Oriel. He liked to devote his afternoons to birds and his evenings to music, but still had a great deal of time to give to students. He always assigned his students original research, transforming the teaching of ancient history at Oxford. Beyond these duties, he was a curator of the Parks and the Botanic Garden in Oxford and in the same year was appointed as the first lay Sub-Rector in the history of the college, a position he held until 1904. He remained tutor until 1910 and in 1920 he was president of the Classical Association.

Fowler’s works were varied. His love and pursuit of music made him publish a work on Mozart, his favorite composer. By long and patient observation, he became an authority on birds and their migrations. His early scholarship chiefly concentrated on natural history, but his most original works are his writings on Roman religion. With James Frazer, Fowler was regarded as one of the leading experts of their generation in Roman religion. His central interest was in the influence of religious ceremony on the character of the Romans.

credit: Gifford Lectures [giffordlectures.org] contributed by Shin Ahn, University of Edinburgh
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉