[COMPLETE] How the Codex Was Found by Margaret Dunlop Gibson-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

How the Codex Was Found, by Margaret Dunlop Gibson (1843 - 1920) and Agnes Smith Lewis (1843 - 1926)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/how-the-codex-was-found-by-agnes-smith-lewis/
"The narrative of these two journeys is of special interest, because the first one, that made by my twin sister, Mrs. Lewis, and myself, in 1892, led to the discovery of an early and important codex of ancient Syriac gospels... while that made by us this year in company with [Cambridge scholars and their wives] was undertaken for the purpose of deciphering the precious manuscript to which we have alluded.

"Abler pens than mine will write about these Syriac gospels... yet on me devolves the task of telling how the codex was found. Many inaccurate statements have been made by too hasty writers in our public prints, and it has occurred to me that the best means of removing misconceptions on the subject is to reprint my sister's journal of our trips to Sinai in 1892 and 1893." - Margaret Dunlop Gibson (Summary by the author)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/howcodexwasfound00lewi

Target completion date: 2021-09-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Travel & Geography/Exploration; *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Other

Keywords that describe the book: travel, New Testament, Sinai, syriac, ancient manuscripts, cambridge scholars, st. catharine's monastary

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of How the Codex Was Found; A Narrative of Two Visits to Sinai; From Mrs. Lewis's Journals, 1892-1893." This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." "How the Codex Was Found, by Margaret Dunlop Gibson. Section #."
For the second and subsequent sections:
"Section # of How the Codex Was Found, by Margaret Dunlop Gibson. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." "Section #"
End of recording:
Say:
"End of Section #." "Read by your name."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of How the Codex Was Found, by Margaret Dunlop Gibson."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: howthecodexwasfound_##_gibson_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. howthecodexwasfound_01_gibson_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: mightyfelix

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by HannahMary on December 23rd, 2021, 9:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~ Hannah
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him" - Romans 15:13
Blog: Come Be Still
IG: @storytime.with.hannahmary
Readers needed for:
A Rough Shaking by George MacDonald
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

A few notes on how I edited the first post:
This book is by Margaret Dunlop Gibson, who is not yet in the LV catalog of authors. But her twin sister, Agnes Smith Lewis (whose journals make up the bulk of this book) is already on LV. I included both authors in hopes of both being linked to the final catalogue page. But the project generator gave precedence to the one in the catalog rather than the actual author/editor. So I had to change the intro and file names to that of Mrs. Gibson. Let me know if that causes any problems behind the scenes and if I should restart the project without listing Mrs. Lewis.

I had to guess at a number of sections since there are no chapters and only a few numbered sections of widely varied length in the text.

Potential DPLs may be interested to learn more about these sisters by searching for online videos of Janet Soskice speaking on the subject of her book, "The Sisters of Sinai."
~ Hannah
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him" - Romans 15:13
Readers needed for:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I can set this up for you, Hannah. I can definitely put both authors on the catalogue page, though I agree with how you worded the intros, etc. I don't think we need the dunlop in the file name, though, so I removed that part.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Your MW is ready. If you end up needing more sections, you can add them yourself as needed. And if you have too many after all, just let me know, leave the blank ones down at the bottom of the MW, and I'll delete them. :D
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Thanks so much, Devorah! I get to work with you again -- yay! :clap: (Yes, this is the shortish non-fiction I mentioned I was considering before getting back into a longer solo.)

Sounds good about the shorter file name and number of sections. I'll work on the MW tomorrow.
~ Hannah
Readers needed for:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

If you need a DPL, I would be glad to volunteer.
Sounds like a fascinating book.
~ Larry
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

silverquill wrote: June 7th, 2021, 5:38 am If you need a DPL, I would be glad to volunteer.
Sounds like a fascinating book.
Thanks so much, Larry! I look forward to working with you again.

Yes, I so enjoyed spending time with these unusual Scotch twins by reading "The Sisters of Sinai" twice in the last few years, that I finally started looking up the original sources for that work - such as this little book. I am sure my pronunciation of Arab locations and Greek names is faulty, but I'll do my best - based on how I remember hearing things pronounced in the professional audio-book of "The Sisters of Sinai."

Let me know of any questions or suggestions along the way.

On to the MW next...
~ Hannah
Readers needed for:
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Okay, sections 1-4 are up and ready for PL since I started recording a few weeks ago to make sure I was up to this before launching the project. :D

Larry, would you like me to list durations for you whenever I leave a note saying there are more sections to PL? Or do you like to just find that info in the MW for solo projects?

I should explain my section title system. I'll just add the names as I come to them, since I don't yet know how many it will take for each section of the book. The overall sections which I am splitting into "Parts" are:

- First Visit to Sinai
- Identification of the Codex
- A Greek Description of Sinai
- St. Sylvia of Aquitaine
- Second Visit to Sinai

Within the "First Visit to Sinai" you will hear me pause and say "One", "Two", etc. Those are sub-sections marked within the text. I hope it doesn't get too confusing hearing LV section numbers followed by in-text numbers at times. But the sub-sections are of such varied length that sometimes I fit two within an LV section, and sometimes it takes more than one LV section to complete a text sub-section... if that makes sense!
~ Hannah
Readers needed for:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Great!
Glad to join the team. :D

File duration in the MW is fine,

And, thanks for all the additional notes.
Just about to "leave" for work, (That means walking across the room :lol: ) so I'll start on these tonight, or maybe in the morning and give you some feedback.
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Alright then. Larry is in as DPL, and we have arrived in Going Solo!
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Thank you both!
~ Hannah
Readers needed for:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Off to a good start!

Just one note for Section 3
There is a longish gap at 10:43-47 that you might want to fix.
~ Larry
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Section 3 is ready for spot PL. Thanks for catching that, Larry! A place where I was splicing together from a couple of recording sessions and forgot to come back and polish!
~ Hannah
Readers needed for:
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Section 5 is now ready for PL.
~ Hannah
Readers needed for:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

HannahMary wrote: June 8th, 2021, 7:33 pm Section 5 is now ready for PL.
Forgot to post the update, but 3 and 5 are both PL OK!
~ Larry