COMPLETE: ''Mr Rowl'', by D. K. Broster -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elin

Post by Elin »

''Mr Rowl'', by D. K. Broster (1877 - 1950)

This project is now complete.  All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/mr-rowl-by-d-k-broster/

Raoul des Sablières, a French parole prisoner in England during the Napoleonic Wars, becomes enmeshed in a complicated tangle where his honour conflicts with his parole, and is sent to prison. Juliana Forrest, for whose sake he broke his parole, does her utmost to save him, and in his adventures and misfortunes, Raoul eventually also finds help from an unlikely source. This is a fun adventure story and romance, written in a style similar to Georgette Heyer. (Summary by Elin)
Source text (please read only from this text!): Physical copy

Target completion date: 2021-11-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction; Historical Fiction; Romance

Keywords that describe the book: Napoleonic Wars, parole prisoner, crossdressing

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of ''Mr Rowl''. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "''Mr Rowl'', by D. K. Broster. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of ''Mr Rowl'', by D. K. Broster. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of ''Mr Rowl'', by D. K. Broster."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: mrrowl_##_broster_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. mrrowl_01_broster_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Elin on November 9th, 2021, 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elin

Post by Elin »

A friend of mine who has not been on Librivox before will be DPL. I can upload photos of the book to the eventual MC so you can verify copyright date.

And sorry about the punctuation in the title--it is actually part of the title, which you will see in the photos!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

There is an online scan of the book here:

https://archive.org/details/mrrowl00bros/page/n7/mode/2up
Jo
Elin

Post by Elin »

Do you prefer me to use that? I like reading from the physical copy, but I can use the online one if you want.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

It's fine either way, but we can use the text link in the catalog, assuming you are reading from the same edition.
Jo
Elin

Post by Elin »

Mine is the British edition, and the linked one is American (but it still has British spelling). But both are from 1924. Hmm.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Could be the same version. It says its a first edition. Anyway, I can MC for you. Please upload the scan of the copyright page from your book to my folder. Meanwhile, I will get this into the database.
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Does your DPL plan to register on the forum? If so, let me know.
Jo
Elin

Post by Elin »

I would guess it's the same version--since the American one also has British spelling, and they are both from 1924, which is when it was first published. Anyway, here you go:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/mrrowl.zip

Yes, my DPL will get on the forum soon; I've told her to comment here when she does.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Thanks! As you can see, I've moved the thread to Going Solo.
Jo
regshoe

Post by regshoe »

Hello! I'm regshoe and I will be DPL for this book :)
regshoe

Post by regshoe »

Right then, notes on the first chapter :) It will be fun revisiting this book—and hehe, I notice that significant bit about theatrical cross-dressing now...

Pronunciation—

1:08 —'Mr Ralph Bentley'—in context (historical, upper-class English), I would pronounce Ralph to rhyme with 'safe'

3:04—'Reading' is pronounced with a short E sound, like 'redding'

11:30—'he ever talks of his exploits'—'exploits' as a noun has the stress on the first syllable (that inconsistent noun/verb rule again!)

12:11—'from either confine'—'confine' as a noun is also stressed on the first syllable

14:05—'Badajoz'—I don't speak Spanish, so had to look this one up; the usual British English approximation of the Spanish pronunciation (appropriate here since it's a British character speaking, I suppose) pronounces the J like an English H

16:29—'engaged in converse'—'converse' is another noun stressed on the first syllable!

The pronunciation of 'Letitia' is inconsistent: I think the short-I pronunciation used at 14:00, 14:53, 16:07, 20:13, 27:55 and 33:24 is correct, but at 8:29 and 11:46 the first I is longer.

Discrepancies with text (feel free to ignore):

1:12—'at half-past five', text has 'about half-past five'

2:41—'wherever he went', text has 'where'er'

9:20—'this Zachary Miller', text has 'this Mr Zachary Miller'

17:50—'Mr Francis Mulholland', text has 'Sir Francis' (and the character is Sir Francis for the rest of the chapter)

20:57—'replied Captain des Sablières', text has 'repeated'

34:23—'I am sorry', text has 'I am so sorry'
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi regshoe. Welcome to LibriVox. I have added you as DPL for this project.  Here is a link your catalog page at https://librivox.org/reader/16325. If you would like to add a catalog name other than your forum username, just let me know. Catalog names can be your forum username, real name or another pseudonym. We can also add a link to a personal web page if you have one.

If you click on the link for Reader Section Details below your username you will find a summary table showing the status of all the sections that you have signed up to PL (as DPL) in open projects.  Click on PL tab to see the sections that are waiting for you to PL in projects like this one where you are the DPL.  Click on the thread titles to navigate to the thread on the forum.

Some more info on Prooflistening along with instructions how to set up a password for the workflow system and update the status in the MW can be found at the links below:

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Guide_for_Proof-listeners

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/ProofListening_tips_and_quiz

FAQ for Prooflisteners

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=DPLs:_How_to_Update_the_Magic_Window

If you have any questions, let me know.
Jo
regshoe

Post by regshoe »

Hi knotyouraveragejo! Thanks very much for these links—I have now edited the Magic Window for the first chapter.

I notice the FAQ says not to comment on pronunciation. Elin has specifically asked me to include notes on pronunciation, although it doesn't say so here, so I hope it's OK to put these in my notes posts.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

This would be considered "Special" Prooflistening" rather than standard, but whatever the two of you have agreed on is fine. :)
Jo