COMPLETE: ''Mr Rowl'', by D. K. Broster -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elin

Post by Elin »

Oops, I had subscribed to the forum topic, but for some reason I didn't get email about the new replies on it, as I usually do? How strange.

So Regshoe, I only saw your notes now! Thanks so much, will fix. : ) Ha, three instances of that inconsistent noun/verb thing...
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Elin wrote: June 11th, 2021, 12:19 pm Oops, I had subscribed to the forum topic, but for some reason I didn't get email about the new replies on it, as I usually do? How strange.

So Regshoe, I only saw your notes now! Thanks so much, will fix. : ) Ha, three instances of that inconsistent noun/verb thing...
If I remember correctly, you only get an email for a new reply if you have logged in since the last email you received. (or something like that...)
Jo
Elin

Post by Elin »

Ah, okay. Got one now!
regshoe

Post by regshoe »

This would be considered "Special" Prooflistening" rather than standard, but whatever the two of you have agreed on is fine. :)
Great, thank you!

OK, here's chapter two...

2:50—'Westphalia'—another one I had to look up; the second syllable has the A sound in 'fail'

21:14—'deputed'—as a verb this is stressed on the second syllable (possibly the same rule again!—although I suppose 'deputy' is a more common noun than 'depute' itself)

21:32—'recommendation' has the stress on the fourth syllable, with the O pronounced as a schwa and secondary stress usually on the first syllable

22:03—'mood' has the long 'oo' sound of 'food' and 'boot', rather than the short one of 'book'

23:10—'precedence'—the first E is short, like 'press'

23:12—'everything else at this point', text has 'this moment'
Elin

Post by Elin »

Uploaded new version of chapter 1! Corrected everything but the variation in Laetitia, but I'll think of it going forward.

Hmm. I don't know whether the PL rules say that you should check the corrected file, or not?

I am pleased that there is less deviation from the text in chapter 2. : ) But arrgh, you have corrected me about 'recommendation' before...
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Elin,

Yes, you should change the status to Ready for Spot PL. Your DPL will then just spot check the edits before marking it PL OK. :)
Jo
Elin

Post by Elin »

I've corrected and re-uploaded Chapter 2, and uploaded Chapter 3.

I noticed some things myself when prooflistening to Chapter 3, but figured I would do all the correcting at once. They are:

12.52 Vistula, should be accented on first syllable (I promise to get better at checking these BEFORE recording!)
15.30 Badajoz again (I recorded this before you first corrected it)
16.00 Marmont, should have a French pronunciation

Could not find the pronunciation of Gebora, I don't know if you'll have better luck. Also, you don't need to put the link to the PL notes in the window, I'll see them anyway. : )
regshoe

Post by regshoe »

Right, chapters 1 and 2 are PL OK :)
Elin

Post by Elin »

Thanks! Chapter 4 is up.
regshoe

Post by regshoe »

Here's chapter 3! I can't find 'Gebora' either, but your pronunciation here sounds reasonable.

4:58 and 25:51—'ermine'—the I is short, rhyming with 'vermin' (as I remember from a pun in the Discworld books!)

7:12—'tutelage'—the last syllable is pronounced with a short I sound, rhyming with 'ridge', or like 'manage'

9:24—'author' has the 'th' sound of 'thing', rather than the one in 'the'

1:17—'various degrees of eagerness', text has 'varying'

4:26—'Raoul was determined', text has 'he was determined'

8:24—'had she been in the least', text has 'had she been the least'

8:41—the words 'So, after they had gone a short way' are missing

20:35—'no one has been', text has 'no one been'

22:11—'to meet in Bayonne', text has 'to meet as well in Bayonne'

24:01—'she is old', text has 'she is so old'

24:04—'even springing up', text has 'ever springing up'
regshoe

Post by regshoe »

Only a few notes on chapter 4...

1:33, 1:51—'Stoneleigh'—the second syllable is probably like 'lee' rather than 'lay'

2:12—'his homeward path', text has 'his own homeward path'

4:49—'refuse to abandon', I hear 'abandoned'

5:59—'silver and scarlet', text has 'silver-grey and scarlet'
Elin

Post by Elin »

Chapter 3 fixed and re-uploaded. Ugh, all those errors. Funny how the brain fills in what it thinks should be there...

I think I started paying extra attention to not deviating from the text in Chapter 4, so it's good to see that it paid off!
Elin

Post by Elin »

Oops, forgot to fix the things I myself noticed (sorry about all the things for you to check!). That's done, and I also fixed chapter 4 and uploaded chapter 5.

There's a longer French passage in the beginning of chapter 5, which I will run by Garonne, and also I get to sing again! Here's a really lovely version of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C1TD19knsA
regshoe

Post by regshoe »

Chapters 3 and 4 are PL OK, checked against my notes and yours! And that is a lovely song—I do like how Broster is always referencing songs, other books and so on.
regshoe

Post by regshoe »

Chapter 5—very nice singing :)

14:46—'suavity' has an 'ah' sound

18:45—'betrothed' is usually two syllables, with the second E not pronounced separately (18th century letter writers would probably spell it 'betroth'd'!)

24:35—'specious'—the E is long, like 'species' rather than 'special'

0:31—'Rasselas, chapter 18'—it's xxxviii, which ought to be 38!

5:44—'he put aside his unfinished letter', text has 'he hastily put aside...'

11:20—'why should I mention the tramp', text has 'a tramp'

14:52—'at least in the form of a tramp', text has 'not in the form'

23:46—'but Bannister was walking', text has 'Mr Bannister'