COMPLETE: ''Mr Rowl'', by D. K. Broster -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elin

Post by Elin »

Thanks! I meant the pause in section 25 as a scene divider, but I've shortened it since it sounded too long. I've uploaded that along with the fixed section 26, and also section 28. : )
regshoe

Post by regshoe »

Brilliant! Sections 25 and 26 are PL OK, and here's section 27. :)

4:39—'it was not as simple', text has 'not so simple'

8:14—'drowned here last night', text has 'last month'

10:13—'bosun' has a long O sound, like 'boat' (because it's another reduced sailing term, from 'boatswain'!)

11:57—'Scillies', as before

16:30—'heroine'—the first E is short, like 'heron' rather than 'hero'

16:56—'conspirator' has the stress on the second syllable

18:03—this is borderline as a pronunciation issue, but: 'pull to' is a phrasal verb rather than independent verb + preposition, and I'd pronounce it with more emphasis on 'to'
Elin

Post by Elin »

Thank you! : ) Here is the fixed version of section 27, and also the last section.
regshoe

Post by regshoe »

Section 27 is fine, apart from 'drowned here last night' at 8:14. And here's section 28—yay, Lavinia!—and it's almost over...

0:00—'chapter 27', should be 'section 28'?

1:03—'that high, dew-drenched meadows', text has 'the high, dew-drenched meadows'

7:11—'I assure you that I am...', text has 'I assure you I am...'

9:16—'we will see all about that', text has 'we will see about all that'

9:29—Raoul's 'But—' is missing, before 'But for the rest of your life...'

10:00—'it was only with a mild wonder', text has 'it was with only a mild wonder'

21:08—'twice round Lavinia's ormolu clock', text has 'Miss Lavinia's'

23:38—'Sappho' is usually pronounced in English with a single F sound, no separate P sound

24:13—'But then why...', text has 'But why then...'

28:04—'in spite of all your efforts', text has 'in spite of your efforts'

29:47—'talking over the matter with me,' text has 'talking the matter over with me'

31:32—'like the little cat' repeated
Elin

Post by Elin »

Thanks! Huh, interesting with Sappho--in Swedish it's Sapfo, so I just figured that it was only the second 'p' that was part of the 'f' sound! But I suppose it got assimiliated...
regshoe

Post by regshoe »

Right, here is the last chapter! Only a couple of notes :)

2:58—'you really do pardon...', text has 'you do really pardon...'

3:58—'how I came to be here', text has 'how I come to be here'
Elin

Post by Elin »

All right, I've fixed and re-uploaded the last two sections! Oops, forgot about 27, I'll fix that soon.
Elin

Post by Elin »

And the last one is up, too! : )
regshoe

Post by regshoe »

Sections 27, 28 and 29 are all PL OK. There we are then! Well, I've really enjoyed revisiting this book through your lovely reading—thank you, and I look forward to seeing the finished audiobook posted. :)
Elin

Post by Elin »

Thank you so much for your proofreading work! <3

Do you have any opinion on the summary I wrote, by the way, and if it could be improved? Do you like the Heyer reference or not?

"Raoul de Sablière, a French parole prisoner in England during the Napoleonic Wars, becomes enmeshed in a complicated tangle where his honour conflicts with his parole, and is sent to prison. Juliana Forrest, for whose sake he broke his parole, does her utmost to save him. This is a fun adventure story and romance, written in a style similar to Georgette Heyer."
regshoe

Post by regshoe »

I like the summary! One little correction, it's 'des Sablières'. Apart from that, if I was going to change anything, I might say a little bit about Hervey (maybe just '...and, in his adventures and misfortunes, Raoul eventually finds help from an unlikely source'), but he is my fave, and he only turns up halfway through the book, so perhaps not necessary for a brief summary. I've only ever read one Heyer book and I don't think it was very representative, but from what I hear about her better-known stuff it's a good comparison!

:)
Elin

Post by Elin »

Thanks! I've added the hint about Hervey. And huh, I'd actually just edited to correct the spelling mistake myself, but I guess the page was cached or something. : )
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Congratulations Elin on completion of this solo recording for LibriVox! This book is now in the LibriVox catalog and available for listeners to download. Please check the catalog page and let me know if any changes are needed:

https://librivox.org/mr-rowl-by-d-k-broster/
Jo
Elin

Post by Elin »

Thanks, it looks good! And thanks for being MC for me. : )