Section 9 is PL OK, and here's section 10:

4:36 and 6:46 — 'caserne', as before

There are slight pauses at 6:17 and at 7:19

8:09—'just inside the wall', text has 'just inside by the wall'

12:14—'Chatham' is pronounced like 'Chattam', no TH sound

15:03—'he does not even want to look at me', text has 'want even to'

17:39—'drying her tears', text has 'drying her eyes'

24:28—'"God bless you, Mademoiselle," he urged', text has 'he answered'

25:43—'Admiralty' is four syllables and stressed on the first syllable, with the second A pronounced as a schwa

26:46—the paragraph beginning 'He had just taken up his pen...' is missing
Elin

Post by Elin »

Thanks! : ) Chapter 11 is up, delayed somewhat by having to track down and learn two French songs.
Elin

Post by Elin »

Jo, a question: there's a song in section 11, which I sing. The first verse is written out in full, with the repetition of the first two lines in the verse, and the chorus after. For the next verses, the repetition of the first two lines is not written out, and neither is the chorus. My inclination when I sing it is to repeat the first two lines in the verses even though it doesn't explicitly say so, and include the chorus after every verse.

My reasoning is that when songs are written out, this is often how it's done, and it's understood that lines should be repeated and the chorus sung. But you might regard it as adding something that is not in the text? My second reason is that after the last verse, the text goes: "But before he could finish the remaining stanza someone burst out with a tremendous oath", which I take to mean that the verse was finished (since it's in the text) but he was interrupted before he could sing the chorus. So I skip the last chorus.

Is this okay?
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Yes, I am OK with that, but you could just include what is there. Also, if you are singing rather than reading the songs, you need to be certain that you are using music that is clearly in the public domain, i.e, published before 1926. It can't be a modern arrangement.
Jo
Elin

Post by Elin »

All right, thanks! And no worries, all the melodies of the songs are from the 18th or early 19th century.
regshoe

Post by regshoe »

Here's section 11! Lovely French singing—although I couldn't understand the words, I really got that sense of 'charming and a little wistful' that Broster describes from the second song. :)

3:05—'a couch passed them', text has 'coach'

7:56—'portentously'—the second T is pronounced the usual way, there's no 'sh' sound

12:37—'succinctly'—the double C is pronounced like the one in 'success': 'suc-sinct-ly'

16:31—'stanza'—the Z doesn't have a 'tz' sound, it's just 'stan-za'

18:15—'the sorrow had brought', text has 'morrow'

22:54—'with eyes shut', text has 'with his eyes shut'

24:13, 25:11—'Burford'—the vowel in the second syllable is a schwa (all place names ending in -ford are the same way, as far as I know)

24:56—'Cheltenham'—the second H is silent (I've actually mainly heard it pronounced as two syllables, 'Chelt-nam', but a bit of searching suggests 'Chelt-en-am' is also correct)

27:09—'that we have passed the — turn!!'—I'm pretty sure the dash here is meant to be censoring a swear word, and you pronounced the same thing as 'blank' earlier in the chapter (17:05, 'a little rest and sleep, you ——!')—should you do the same thing here?

30:15—'all you sodgers in there', text has 'in here'

30:31—'any man's business', text has 'any one man's'

32:42—'excellent small pasties about him'—'pasties' has a short A, like 'pat'; and the text has 'upon him'

edit: I've just noticed you've put the wrong title in the magic window—this chapter is 'The Yoke-Fellow', 'Raoul Meets the Devil in Bridgwater' is the next chapter, number 2.6.
Elin

Post by Elin »

Thanks! I fixed Section 10 and uploaded Section 12.

Hmm, I think I just assumed that "pasty" and "pastry" were two variants of the same word, and therefore the "a" sound was the same in both of them!
regshoe

Post by regshoe »

'Pasty'/'pastry' is a funny one. The OED gives two different possible etymologies for 'pastry', one of which is the same as for 'pasty' but the other is different!

Anyway—section 10 is PL OK, and here's section 12.

2:07—'angelic' has the stress on the second syllable

4:15—'sow' rhymes with 'now' (unlike the verb 'sow', which is pronounced this way!)

5:05—'the officer was stopping', text has 'stooping'

6:22—the song is missing!

9:33—'after an hour's complete silence', text has 'a quarter of an hour's'

13:56—'the open air and the exercises', text has 'exercise'

17:44—'quay' is pronounced like 'key'

17:51—'five day down the Parrett', text has 'five mile'
Elin

Post by Elin »

Thanks! I fixed Section 11 and uploaded Section 13. I'm enjoying Raoul and Lieutenant Hunter's interactions this time round... : )

Oops, not sure how I missed the song! Perhaps it was between two recording sessions and I forgot to start with it on the second one.
Elin

Post by Elin »

Also, I've been pronouncing "quay" right for some time! Sigh, I suppose I slipped up.
Elin

Post by Elin »

Fixed and re-uploaded section 12.
Elin

Post by Elin »

Uploaded section 14. Enter Captain Barrington! : )