[COMPLETE]The U.S. Army in the Iraq War Vol 1: Invasion Insurgency Civil War 2003–06 by US Government -ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
reedstrege1

Post by reedstrege1 »

This project is now complete. All files can be downloaded from the catalog page here:https://librivox.org/the-us-army-in-the-iraq-war-1-by-various

The U.S. Army in the Iraq War Volume 1: Invasion Insurgency Civil War 2003 – 2006, by US Army Operation Iraqi Freedom Study Group
In September 2013, Chief of Staff of the Army General Raymond T. Odierno directed the Operation Iraqi Freedom Study Group to research and write an operational history of the U.S. Army’s experience in the Iraq War from 2003 to 2011. This volume, The United States Army in the Iraq War, 2003-2006, is the first of two fulfilling that task. It tells the story of the U.S.-led campaigns to remove Saddam Hussein and his Iraqi Ba’athist regime from power in 2003 and to stabilize the country following those operations. It details the course of the campaigns up to a point in late 2006 when President George W. Bush and other U.S. leaders changed the strategy in Iraq to one that resulted in the “surge” counteroffensive by American troops in 2007–2008. That counteroffensive and the subsequent withdrawal of the coalition forces from Iraq are the subjects of the second volume of this series.
In scope, the study group members consciously modeled this history after the Army’s “Green Book” histories of World War II. As the Green Books did, and as General Odierno charged us to do, we focused on the operational level of war. These volumes are narrative histories that tell the story of U.S. forces in Iraq, mainly from the perspective of the theater command in Baghdad and the operational commands immediately subordinate to it. They focus on the decisions and intent of the senior three- and four-star commanders in Baghdad over time. (Summary by )
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://digitalcommons.usmalibrary.org/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1018&context=books

Target completion date: 2021-06-02

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/War & Military

Keywords that describe the book: military, Iraq war, army history

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The U.S. Army in the Iraq War Volume 1. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The U.S. Army in the Iraq War Volume 1 by US Army Operation Iraqi Freedom Study Group. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The U.S. Army in the Iraq War Volume 1 by US Army Operation Iraqi Freedom Study Group. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The U.S. Army in the Iraq War Volume 1: by US Army Operation Iraqi Freedom Study Group."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: usarmyintheiraqwar1_##_various_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. usarmyintheiraqwar1_01_various_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Annise

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Reed Strege
reedstrege1

Post by reedstrege1 »

Thanks for the notes on this project! One quick question for clarification:

For the "end of recording" part, it is EVERY chapter, right, that needs an ending piece recorded? And the beginning of each chapter. In this audiobook there are 35 or so chapters/sections. Thanks, Reed

End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
Reed Strege
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It's every MP3 file. If you have more than one chapter in an MP3, it only needs to be said at the beginning and end of the entire file. (In that case, you'd say all chapter numbers in the intro, and either all or the last one in the outro. They're for easy navigation when one cannot see the file name or other visual cues.)

P.S. don't upload anything until you get an MC / Magic Window.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I'll be happy to DPL.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll set up the project then - back soon ......
It is set up - I'm seeking advice about the entry for the author in our database so look but don't change files for the moment.
We need to know about the reader in relation to the project - is it to be under your forum name or what ? And we do need to know he is happy for his recording to be released into the PD - which does mean anyone can use parts of the recording for any purpose - including some anti USA things . Neither of you need to put your real name in the catalogue though.
Ask questions - if it is general I can answer - if it is text specific Kevin will - the text is not PD for non Americans.

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've used various in the reading instructions for the author and file name to prevent the file names being too long and the reading too monotonous
Files have a maximum length of about 70 minutes and shorter ones can be combined if wanted.

Anne
reedstrege1

Post by reedstrege1 »

Thank you! I will come back to this project when the narrator can add the narration to the beginning and end of each mp3 file.
Reed Strege
reedstrege1

Post by reedstrege1 »

Hello - the audiofiles for this project are (I believe) ready for upload. They contain the opening and ending script for each chapter. What is the next step, please? Thank you.
Reed Strege
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

reedstrege1 wrote: June 21st, 2021, 8:48 pm Hello - the audiofiles for this project are (I believe) ready for upload. They contain the opening and ending script for each chapter. What is the next step, please? Thank you.
Reed, I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. If all is set, then you can upload the files and also enter the needed information.

Here is the instruction:
Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Annise

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
reedstrege1

Post by reedstrege1 »

Thanks. I am ready to upload, but I just noticed that of my 29 files, 4 of them are over 100mb. Before I upload all 29, I should split these files up, right? The four are less than 112 mb, so not too far over.

Also, I saw another guideline that no single audio file should be longer than 70 minutes. I have several audiofiles in this group that do not meet this guideline. Should I go ahead and split up the files so none of them are longer than 70 minutes? Or is getting them all under 100mb enough?

Thank you!
Reed Strege
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

reedstrege1 wrote: June 24th, 2021, 12:32 pm Thanks. I am ready to upload, but I just noticed that of my 29 files, 4 of them are over 100mb. Before I upload all 29, I should split these files up, right? The four are less than 112 mb, so not too far over.

Also, I saw another guideline that no single audio file should be longer than 70 minutes. I have several audiofiles in this group that do not meet this guideline. Should I go ahead and split up the files so none of them are longer than 70 minutes? Or is getting them all under 100mb enough?

Thank you!
We don't accept recordings of more than 70 minutes in length. They will have to be split up and with their own intro and outro. I don't know about a size limit, but splitting those longer recordings should eliminate any potential problems.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I recommend that you upload one file now to see if everything is working properly. I can then check that one file and make certain the tech specs are correct.
reedstrege1

Post by reedstrege1 »

Reed Strege
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

reedstrege1 wrote: June 24th, 2021, 3:04 pm Thanks. I uploaded the first file. Here is the link:

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/Title_Pages_Preliminary_Information_and_Contents.mp3
This is the format for the file: usarmyintheiraqwar1_##_various_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. Please re-do and place the re-named in the Magic Window. Please remember, or note, that we ask for the recording's length, also. And please add the title also to the Magic Window. And ... we need the recorders' LibriVox names, too. Remember that they must register to LibriVox as did you so that you can add them to the Magic Window.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

annise wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 6:48 pm
Anne, please correct me if I am wrong in any of this.
KevinS wrote: June 24th, 2021, 3:53 pm
reedstrege1 wrote: June 24th, 2021, 3:04 pm Thanks. I uploaded the first file. Here is the link:

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/Title_Pages_Preliminary_Information_and_Contents.mp3
This is the format for the file: usarmyintheiraqwar1_##_various_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. Please re-do and place the re-named in the Magic Window. Please remember, or note, that we ask for the recording's length, also. And please add the title also to the Magic Window. And ... we need the recorders' LibriVox names, too. Remember that they must register to LibriVox as did you so that you can add them to the Magic Window.