COMPLETE: The Life of Abraham Lincoln, Volume 2 by Ida Tarbell -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Thank you!
Here is an issue that perhaps both of you can weigh in on. Section 21 (not the one I am putting up now) consists entirely of what Tarbell believed was a close transcription of Lincoln's famous "lost speech." Most Lincoln scholars today discredit this, but it is interesting to read. In this speech, Lincoln uses the N word. In its context, it is essentially mocking the position of those who would extend slavery. After pre-reading it, I thought about it and when it came to recording it I used the word "negro" in its place. When I mentioned this to Marilyn, she thought this was not the correct thing to do. So what do you both think? It can easily be patched in - I have not edited it yet.

In the meantime, section 20 is up.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I understand your discomfort, but it is LibriVox policy to read the text as written. So it's not OK to substitute an alternate word.

If you wish you can add an "editorial comment" about the historical context of the text, in the written catalog summary.
Jo
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Thank you. I will definitely read it as written, and on reflection it would certainly be wrong to change it. Appreciate your prompt response!
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Okay, section 21 is up. Phew.

I feel like the patches are somewhat noticeable in this one - which bugs me, because usually that's something I can do pretty well. I guess my voice was just raspy the day I originally recorded it.

Also, I note that I AGAIN made a label error back in section 20. I attempted to follow the suggestion of going back to the previous heading, but my current version of Audacity will not allow me to cut and paste anything into the label. For YEARS I would carefully type the label into my notes at the beginning of a project and then just cut and paste that every time and fill in the section number, and never had an error But when I bought this new MacBook and loaded the updated version of Audacity, I lost that ability.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

No worries, Ciufi. I fixed 20 (and 21) to the standard filenames on the server.

As for the patches being noticeable, usually I am also pretty good at matching my voice even with novels where I have characters with different 'voices', but that happens to me sometimes too. I suspect we notice it more than anybody else will. :wink:
Jo
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 20 is PL OK :thumbs:

It seemed like the "country" at 5:37 must be a typo for "county," didn't it? ("telling me about things in your country, or rather, your district") - wonder if that was made while typesetting this book, by Tarbell in writing it, or if it was Lincoln's to start with. It did spur my brain to double check it in the book, and it sure does have country there.

Haha! Jo, you tripped me out. I saw what Ciufi was talking about when I pulled 20 to PL, and now coming back to report on it and pull 21, things were different. :)

Ciufi, I bet the edits sound fine, but I'll let you know if anything is distracting on 21.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 21 is PL OK :thumbs:

I'm sure you're right about us noticing voicing differences more than others. :) Particularly because I knew it might show up, I did notice the patch's tone difference. But it's not jarring at all, as you spread it over a good spot of reading instead of just one word.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Okay, if you're good with it, so am I. :) Thanks! I was kind of afraid that I had lost my patching chops, but I had to do a correction on the recording up now, and I DARE anyone to find it! :D
Section 22 is up. There is a long report of Lincoln's argument in an important case regarding a railroad bridge, and I warning you, it is kind of boring.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Nope, I couldn't find the patch. :)

The bridge/steamboat portion wasn't so bad - could be I was braced for worse, so it came off less boring than it might have. I kinda felt like I was listening to a low-key Perry Mason courtroom type drama. :lol:

Section 22 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Well, maybe - but definitely the old black and white Perry Mason, and not the new HBO Perry Mason! :lol:
Next section up!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

I've never seen any but the old black and white - Are the new remakes good?
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Totally different . Very graphic and violent. I ended up liking it, but had to let go of all connection to the Raymond Burr series.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

We don't have HBO, but I found season 1 on DVD. Scott'll probably like trying it out. I really liked the originals - be interesting to see what the new ones are like.

Section 23 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Gotta warn you, one of the most graphic things I have seen on tv, especially at the very beginning. I am surprised we finished it, and even more surprised Mare ended up liking it. Especially since we both like the old Perry.
Anyhow, thanks. Am getting ready record the next section, which seems like 80% headings and 20% actual sentences.
Ciufi

Post by Ciufi »

Okay, section 24 is up. It just occurred to me that it might be helpful to you if I provided page numbers on the appendix recordings - sorry for the oversight. This is top of 351 to bottom of 365. And it's boring.